Dalinar and the Contest (read with caution)

Procrastination

On 3/30/2021 at 0:44 PM, AquaRegia said:

Gavilar comes back in book 5.

Gavilar vs Dalinar in the Contest of Champions. I'd be down for that. 

In terms of the original question, I'm of the mind that the end result will be a "yes, but" sort of thing.

For example:

"Will Odium lose? Yes, but how he lost may violate the rules of the pact, leading him to have a small window to wreck some stuff up."

"Will Honor's side win? Yes, but how they do will actually cause more problems than it would if they had just lost." 

1 hour ago, Branadar said:

I've been relistening to SA and I horrible thought occurred to me. I read through this thread and don't see it mentioned but I might have missed it.

IF the contest of champions plays out in such a way that Dalinar becomes Todium's, it could lead to a drastic change in the nature of the Stormfather. If events take place that lead to Daliner technically breaking his oaths, the Stormfather could "die." I realize death is a confusing term for Spren, especially for one as powerful as the Stormfather, but it could mean that Stormlight is no longer easily renewable, which would be an incredible blow to the Knights Radiant. 

OR the Stormfather could become corrupted, changing the nature of the Light that is replenished, possibly harming the Knights in some way. 

I dunno how out there this could be, but I'm horrified by the possibilities.

My theories about how Book 5 will end are actually pretty similar, but I think the Stormfather would be safe. I think Dalinar would switch his Connection to the Stormfather with whoever he deigns to be Honor's Champion at the last minute, and the Stormfather would be fine. 

However, I do think that something will happen to Honor's Perpendicularity, so that Stormlight won't be as readily available in the first part of the back half. (In my theory, this will be due to Odium's small opportunity to mess stuff up.)

19 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

Gavilar vs Dalinar in the Contest of Champions. I'd be down for that. 

In terms of the original question, I'm of the mind that the end result will be a "yes, but" sort of thing.

For example:

"Will Odium lose? Yes, but how he lost may violate the rules of the pact, leading him to have a small window to wreck some stuff up."

"Will Honor's side win? Yes, but how they do will actually cause more problems than it would if they had just lost." 

My theories about how Book 5 will end are actually pretty similar, but I think the Stormfather would be safe. I think Dalinar would switch his Connection to the Stormfather with whoever he deigns to be Honor's Champion at the last minute, and the Stormfather would be fine. 

However, I do think that something will happen to Honor's Perpendicularity, so that Stormlight won't be as readily available in the first part of the back half. (In my theory, this will be due to Odium's small opportunity to mess stuff up.)

I really, really hope Brandon doesn to a kill one of the three major spren 2.0. RoW ended with saving one one the three major spren (the sibling). We also still don't know what all of the surges do and we are how many thousands of pages are we into the series and we still have lots to learn about the magic system. So for the magic system to completely change I think would be awful. Brandon has got to start tying up some loose ends and also giving us a bit firmer foundation with magic on Roshar. Plate and blade are good. Wind runners are good. As are light weavers. Truth watchers, meh, In general I feel like 4 lashings maybe 5 have been covered well. Transformation, adhesion, gravitation, and regrowth. Maybe friction (Lift's awesomeness). Only got a spattering for bond smiths, but they are different. Stone wards and dust bringers not much at all on either of them. So loads to still discover, and that is before corrupted spren got put in the mix.

I think it'll depend on how Brandon wants to end the front five. If the front five are a mostly inclusive story, with the back five having a mostly new plot line, I can see Brandon tying everything up nicely. BUT if his goal is to directly set up the scene for the back five (Renarin et al being on the back foot, desperately holding back the forces of Odium, etc.) then I can see him ending book 5 with whoever is left standing in a pretty desperate place.

Personally, seeing as he's said that our main POV characters will be present but not center stage in the back five, I see the former being the more likely. Or something between the two.

• 2 weeks later...

He took a deep breath. “Final terms are these: A contest of champions to the death. On the tenth day of the month Palah, tenth hour. We each send a willing champion, allowed to meet at the top of Urithiru, otherwise unharmed by either side’s forces. If I win that contest, you will remain bound to the system—but you will return Alethkar and Herdaz to me, with all of their occupants intact. You will vow to cease hostilities and maintain the peace, not working against my allies or our kingdoms in any way.”

“Agreed,” Odium said. “But if I win, I keep everything I’ve won—including your homeland. I still remain bound to this system, and will still cease hostilities as you said above. But I will have your soul. To serve me, immortal. Will you do this? Because I agree to these terms.”

“And I,” Dalinar whispered. “I agree to these terms.” “It is done.”

That's the quote of the agreement from the end of RoW. So Odium is not banished to Braize if he loses it just becomes a cold war with the borders locked depending on who wins the contest as mdross81 stated.

One thing I didn't see in the discussion about the "we killed you" quote. It could also have been between Honor and Cultivation to have Cultivation assist Odium in Honor's destruction because they had boxed themselves into a war THEY could not win as Odium has now done to himself as well. With Cultivation's future sight they may have seen the outcome we have now and so Honor sacrificed himself to keep Odium bound to the system and eventually defeated.

• 1 month later...