Battle for the Cosmere: A hypothetical MOBA. Come share your character ideas!

Gobsmack

Introduction

Hello! I'm a huge fan of MOBAs (the genre that includes League of Legends, DOTA 2, and Smite to name some of the most popular) and I especially love Heroes of the Storm. One of my favorite parts of Heroes of the Storm is that it's a crossover of some of my favorite games. Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo and Overwatch.

Well it recently occurred to me that a MOBA would be a great opportunity to get some of our favorite Cosmere characters interacting together. My favorite part of Heroes of the Storm would be my favorite part of a Cosmere themed moba: the crossover!

So using that game as a basis I started making concepts of different characters as if they were a hero, or champion, in the game.

I'd like to share these concepts with you all, and I'd love feedback on them. Additionally, I'd love to see what ideas you could come up with too! Whether its a different take on a character, or a character I haven't covered yet, I want to see your ideas.

I'm going to begin by posting the concepts I've already finished, and post about 1 a day. I'll also share some of the design principles i've been following in case you'd like to play along and make a character design of your own.

List of Character Designs Posted In This Thread

Tank

Kaladin Stormblessed, page 1, created by Gobsmack

Vasher, page 2, created by apepi

Bruiser

RYTHMN OF WAR character, page 2, created by Gobsmack

Wayne, page 2, created by Gobsmack

Melee Assassin

Adolin Kholin, page 1, created by Stubert10

Szeth, page 1, created by mathiau

Kelsier, page 1, created by Kingsdaughter613

Ranged Assassin

Vin, page 1, adapted from idea by u/RandisHolmes

BrandoSando (April Fool's), page 1, Created by Gobsmack

Wax, page 2, Created by Gobsmack

Marasi, page 2, Created by Gobsmack

Ranette, page 2, EggArdent

Healer

Lift, page 1, Created by Random Bystander

Raoden, page 2, Created by Gobsmack

Support

Dalanar, page 1, Created by mathiau

Dalanar(2), page 2, Created by Gobsmack

Shallan, page 2, Created by Gobsmack

Design Principles

1. Try and build choices into the abilities. Kaladin's Windrunner ability can be an escape or a way to push an enemy hero to or away from your team.
  2. Look for ability synergies. What combos can you imagine as you're making these abilities?
  3. Is there a reason the hero might want to wait to use the ability? Are there counters or drawbacks to the ability if you're not careful? If you can't think of anything, the ability is too strong. This was a problem with the original vin design.
  4. Try and do more skillshots, less point and click. Passive abilities should be used sparingly, you don't want to play the game for the player.

Risk and reward

There should be risk built into using an ability. However if there is too much risk that's when you start to get underpowered.

General rule of thumb is to increase the risk proportional to the power of the ability.

Few notes on different ability types and ways to increase or decrease the risk of using an ability:

Point and click: these abilities are by definition impossible to miss. So you can be sure you'll hit your target if you use it. Therefore if an ability is point and click be sure that it puts the player at risk in other ways. Examples in Heroes of the Storm include: Uther has to be in melee range to use his stun which leaves him vulnerable. Anduin's point and click heal has to channel first and can be interrupted by stuns.

Skillshots: these abilities have more risk built into using them because now you can miss. If you miss you have to wait to use it again. You can increase or decrease the risk depending on the speed of the skillshot. Heroes of the Storm's Ana's healing dart is almost instant, but her sleeping dart is slower and has a longer cool down. Guess which ability is the playmaker?

Passive skills: auras that grant bonuses or things that passively improve your character in one way or another have no risk and therefore should have little reward. Heroes of the Storm's Lucio's healing is very minute until he uses his "amp it up" ability. The most interesting passive skills are the ones that tie into gameplay in some way, encouraging you to active things to improve them or get full use of them. More HOTS examples include Cassia getting armor while she's moving or Butcher getting fresh meat when he kills. 

Kaladin Stormblessed
Tank
Windrunner
Created by Gobsmack

Auto attack - stabs with spear. Moderate damage. Moderate attack speed.

Z- Flight. Like Falstad in heroes of the storm, can take off and land in a different area of the map.

Q- Sylspear. Skillshot. Throw your spear, dealing damage to an enemy. If you hit a hero, gain a 10% movement speed boost for 3 seconds.

W- Windrunner. Dash forward a short distance, dealing damage in a line. The first enemy hero you touch gets dragged with you. 

E- Lash. Touch an enemy and root them in place for 1.5 seconds. 

R(1) - Stormblessed. Activate stormlight and attract all enemy ranged attacks to hit you instead of your allies within a radius. Additionally all allies within that radius have 25 spell armor for the duration. Lasts 5 seconds.

R(2) - Gravitation. Touch an enemy, sending them into the sky. This effectively puts them in stasis.They land after 3 seconds, take damage and are stunned for 1 second.

D- Stormlight. Active trait. Give yourself 25 armor and heal-over-time for 3 seconds.

Talent ideas:

Z - lvl 20 upgrade - The Skies are Mine. Identical to Falstad’s Epic mount.

W - Expert Maneuver. Can pass through terrain if you aren’t dragging an enemy.

W -  Stick them. If you drag an enemy hero with Windrunner and collide with terrain, Stun them for 1.5 seconds.

W - Double lashing. Increase the Length of Windrunner. Also drag the second enemy hero you touch with you.

E - Disorienting gravity. After Lash ends, target is slowed by 20% for 3 seconds.

E - Full lashing. Stun target for .75 second instead of rooting.

D - lvl 20 upgrade - Knight Radiant. Also refresh all basic ability cooldowns.

R(1) - lvl 20 upgrade - Spoken Ideal. Absorb all incoming auto attack damage, healing for 50% of the damage you would have received. Basic attacks increase the duration by 2 seconds.

R(2) - lvl 20 upgrade - Bridge Four!. Enemies are vulnerable when they land, taking 25% more damage. If an enemy is killed within 2 seconds of landing, refresh the cooldown.

Edited by Gobsmack
Updating character list

Back with the next hero idea, The Warrior Ascendant herself!

Vin
Ranged Assassin
Mistborn
Created by Gobsmack
Adapted from idea from u/RandisHolmes
https://www.reddit.com/r/Cosmere/comments/m5e0k6/lets_design_a_cosmere_moba/

Auto attack: shoots coins. Moderate damage. High attack speed.

Z - Into the Mists: Use Steelpushing to leap over terrain. (like Hanzo in Heroes of the Storm).

Q - Coinshot: Shoot 5 coins in a cone, then return them back to you. Each coin deals # damage. 

W - Flare Pewter: Gain 20% movement speed, 10 armor, Basic attacks deal 2x damage. Lasts 5 seconds. Your movement speed is reduced by 10% for 5 seconds after.

E - Soother: After 1 second, decrease the attack speed and auto attack damage of enemy heroes in an area by 20% for 3 seconds.

R(1) - Duralumin: Doubles the effects of the next ability cast.

R(2) - Atium: Become invulnerable and move forward in a line, slashing with glass daggers 6 times as you go, each swipe deals high damage.

D - Seeker. Active ability: in a large radius around Vin, reveal enemy heroes when they use basic abilities. This effect lasts 5 seconds.

Talent ideas:

Auto attack - Koloss Sword. replace Vin's auto attack with a melee attack. Attack speed 50% slower, but deals 100% more damage.

Z - Out of the Shadows. Increase attack speed by 50% for 5 seconds when you land.

Q - Flare Iron. If you activate Q right before the coins return to you, deal 200% damage on the return and return 100% faster.

E - Brass and Zinc.allied heroes in the area of E have their auto attack speed and auto attack damage increased by 10% for 5 seconds.

E - Smother Their Hope. Enemies in the effect of Soother have their movement speed reduced by 10%.

E - Use Luck. Decrease the armor of enemy heroes hit by 20.

Edited by Gobsmack

Spoiler

I totally agree! I've thought about giving him the obsidian axes from his iconic scene.

I have a buddy who wants to try a different more secret history inspired route with him so I haven't tried to make a character concept yet.

Edited by Gobsmack

The next hero design was created by a buddy of mine, and we revised it together. I think he turned out very good.

Adolin Kholin
Melee Assassin
High Prince
Created by Stubert10

Autoattack: hit with shardblade. High damage. Slow base attack speed.

Z - Surefire: Has a special attack when mounting and dismounting.

-Dismount Surefire: Surefire charges forward for 3 seconds in a straight line in the direction Adolin is facing, damaging and shoving enemies before disappearing.

-Mount Surefire: select where you’d like Surefire to appear (within a certain range), channel for 1.5 seconds, then Surefire appears there and runs towards you, damaging and shoving enemies. Adolin mounts him when he arrives.

Q - Mayalaran Toss: Adolin throws his shardblade in a line, damaging all buildings and enemies in front of him. Adolin cannot use his other basic abilities if this is on cooldown (10 second cooldown), loses benefits from Expert Duelist and auto attack damage is decreased by 20%.

W - Flame Stance: channel for 0.25 seconds, then stab forward, damaging all enemies in an area and slowing them by 20% for three seconds, enemies at the edge of the stab are stunned for 0.5 seconds and adolin jumps to them.

E - Stone Stance: the next enemy hit by a basic attack is then struck by a flurry of swings, damaging and suppressing (a channeled stun) them for 2 seconds. If adolin is struck by a melee auto attack from a hero, he turns on the other champion for the duration instead.

R(1) - Let’s go, Maya!: Activate to refresh all basic ability cooldowns. Passive: Adolin can use Mayalaran Toss without dismounting Surefire.

R(2) - Shardplate: Adolin channels for 1 second to equip his shardplate. Gain 2000 hp shield that depletes at a rate of 200 shield per second. If you take 2000 damage during this time, Shardplate ends early. +200% auto attack damage (his auto attack damage would be +300% in vine stance).

D - Expert Duelist: Active Ability: switch between vine stance or smoke stance. Passive Ability: You can gain up to 10 stacks of “Dueler’s might”. Each stack increases your basic attack speed by 20%. Stacks are lost after 5 seconds of not gaining a new stack (at 10 stacks gaining a new stack just keeps you at 10).

-Vine stance: Deal +100% auto attack damage. Gain a stack of “Dueler’s Might” every time you auto attack the same target. 

-Smoke stance: Auto attacks swing in a wide arc in front of adolin, dealing 75% splash damage to enemies and structures. Gain a stack of “Dueler’s Might” every time you switch to a new target.

Talent ideas:

Z - Ryshadium Loyalty. (Dismount Surefire) Instead of disappearing after 3 seconds, Surefire doubles back to you after charging forward. He disappears when he reaches you.

Z - Ryshadium Superiority. (Mount Surefire) After mounting Surefire, can’t be dismounted from taking damage for 1 second. During this time, you can damage and knock back enemies in your way.

Z - Ryshadium Cavalry. Activate to become unstoppable while mounted for two seconds. Damage also won't dismount you during this time.

Q - Adrenaline. While at 10 stacks of “Dueler’s Might” cooldown of Q refreshes 2x faster.

W - enemies next to adolin take 200% damage.

W - flame Stance now has 2 charges.

E - If Adolin suppresses a hero for 2 full seconds deal # damage to that hero.

(20 ult upgrade) - passive: do not lose stacks of expert duelist when Mayalaran toss is used. Active: activate to instantly gain 10 stacks of dueler’s might.

R(2) (20 ult upgrade) - gain 400 shields per hero kill, extending length of ult.

26 minutes ago, Gobsmack said:

That totally works! I'm used to heroes of the storm so I build characters as if they were in that game but if you are more used to traditional mobas write your character design as of they were gonna be on that!

The name I'd use for Szeth has never been used before RoW so I'm putting it under a spoiler box even though it's not one

Spoiler

Szeth-son-Honour

Melee Assassin
The assassin in white

Passive - Invested hands:

After using a skill Szeth focus some Stormlight in his hands, causing the next auto-attack deals additional magic damage and ground the enemy.

Silence Evil: while Destroy evil is active Invested hands further increase damages and silence enemies instead of grounding them.

Q - Bring Death:

Szeth uses a quick burst of Gravitation to dash to the targeted location.

Slice Evil: if Destroy Evilis active, Szeth also slash enemies with Nightblood, dealing damage.

W - Divided they fall:

Szeth uses Division to inflame an enemy within auto-attack range, dealing damages over time (short)

Consume Evil: while Destroy Evil is active, flames of Divided they fall becomes black and drain mana from the target Szeth, the total amount of mana drained is hard-capped to two third of Divided they fall's cost (after cost reduction, not the base cost)

E - You're grounded:

Szeth increase the planet's gravitational pull on an enemy within auto-attack range, dealing them damage as well as slowing and grounding them, if they were already grounded they're rooted

Contain Evil - if Destroy Evil is active, silenced enemies are also rooted

R - Destroy Evil

Szeth unsheathe Nightblood, increasing his Magic penetration, Armour penetration and auto-attack range

Destroy Evil cost mana per second to maintain active, Szeth no longer has mana Nightblood will quickly drain his hit point instead. While Destroy Evil is active Szeth gain reduced incoming healing, shield and mana.

Destroy Evil can be deactivated anytime by hitting R again

Very much wanted! I'd just say mark any RoW spoilers as such and otherwise any character is game.

On that note, here's my very serious character and balanced character submission today:

BrandoSando
Ranged Assassin
Wordsmith

Autoattack. Paper airplane. Moderate damage, moderate attack speed.

Q - Hard Magic System. Skillshot. Deal damage and leave enemy hero with a random status effect for 2 seconds.

W - Brainstorming Session. Reveal entire map for 5 seconds.

E - "Dragon!". Send out Magellan the Macaw to randomly attack the enemy team for 30 seconds. Magellan can't be targeted. Every time he attacks an enemy hero, they're feared for 2 seconds.

R(1) - Devastating Twist. Kill any enemy hero.

R(2) - Unfinished Work. The next time you die, entire enemy team is stunned for 3 seconds.

D - Work Ethic. Passive. You work harder and faster than anybody else in the biz. You have permanent unstoppable.

Edited by Gobsmack

2 minutes ago, Gobsmack said:

Very much wanted! I'd just say mark any RoW spoilers as such and otherwise any character is game.

On that note, here's my very serious character and balanced character submission today:

BrandoSando

Ranged Assassin

Wordsmith

Autoattack. Paper airplane. Moderate damage, moderate attack speed.

Q - Hard Magic System. Skillshot. Deal damage and leave enemy hero with a random status effect for 2 seconds.

W - Brainstorming Session. Reveal entire map for 5 seconds.

E - The Lord of Terror. Send out Magellan the Macaw to randomly attack the enemy team for 30 seconds. Magellan can't be targeted. Every time he attacks an enemy hero, they're feared for 2 seconds.

R(1) - Devastating Twist. Kill any enemy hero.

R(2) - Unfinished Work. The next time you die, entire enemy team is stunned for 3 seconds.

D - Work Ethic. Passive. You work harder and faster than anybody else in the biz. You have permanent unstoppable.

Are there different rules for antagonists? Also, what kind of move goes to each key? I’m not very familiar with this game but I’d like to create an antagonist for it...

Nope, Hero is just the term used for player character. League of Legends calls them Champions, Heroes of the Storm calls them Heroes. Since i'm more familiar with the latter its my go to nomenclature. So even a villain character is called a "Hero".

There isn't a hard and fast rule for what sort of abilities should go on what key but there are commonalities:

Skillshots (abilities you have to aim) tend to be placed on Q.

Abilities that affect an area on the ground are often placed on W.

Escape/dash abilites tend to be placed on E.

Your ultimate is placed on R.

D is reserved for your trait, All heroes have their own unique Trait (also known as a passive) that has a heavy impact on how that hero plays. Usually the Trait is a permanent effect that is always active, and is simply a descriptor for the unique mechanic the hero can utilize. Many heroes have an active Trait used by pressing the D hotkey, and work as an extra ability at no cost. Others have a passive Trait but can press the Trait's hotkey to disable a channeled ability, or through a Talent can activate the Trait for an effect.

Hope that helps!

3 minutes ago, Gobsmack said:

Nope, Hero is just the term used for player character. League of Legends calls them Champions, Heroes of the Storm calls them Heroes. Since i'm more familiar with the latter its my go to nomenclature. So even a villain character is called a "Hero".

There isn't a hard and fast rule for what sort of abilities should go on what key but there are commonalities:

Skillshots (abilities you have to aim) tend to be placed on Q.

Abilities that affect an area on the ground are often placed on W.

Escape/dash abilites tend to be placed on E.

Your ultimate is placed on R.

D is reserved for your trait, All heroes have their own unique Trait (also known as a passive) that has a heavy impact on how that hero plays. Usually the Trait is a permanent effect that is always active, and is simply a descriptor for the unique mechanic the hero can utilize. Many heroes have an active Trait used by pressing the D hotkey, and work as an extra ability at no cost. Others have a passive Trait but can press the Trait's hotkey to disable a channeled ability, or through a Talent can activate the Trait for an effect.

Hope that helps!

A little? I guess we’ll see... (Note: I’m pretending he’s a NPC boss character for the players to defeat. He’s not meant to be played normally. I will put in parentheses notes for his player skills.)

Kelsier: I’m putting the trait first for a reason

D: Active/Passive trait - Con Artist This transitions him between the different skill sets, but which one he can switch to depends on the situation

Survivor: Melee Assassin

Auto Attack: Dagger slash. Kelsier attacks with his daggers doing damage. Each blade counts as separate damage (P: with his off hand getting a modifier)

Q: Golden Ingot. Kelsier flings a golden ingot at a player, causing blunt force damage and stunning the player for 4 seconds. (2 seconds when player and it causes less damage)

W: Raise the Rebellion. Kelsier doubles the attack, speed, defense and dexterity of himself and his crew for 15 seconds. All NPCs within range attack the players. (P: 10 seconds, with a milder increase. Has a much smaller ‘recruitment’ range and cannot recruit more NPCs than team members.)

E: Steel Cage. Kelsier creates a cage of steel bars blocking all aimed attacks for up to ten seconds.  The first physical attack will also be blocked, causing damage to the player. However, this will cause the cage to drop. If the cage survives for five seconds it will explode outward damaging all players when it falls. (P: The shield needs to go it’s full length to explode and must be upgraded.)

R 1:House War. Kelsier causes player attacks to strike other players for 5 seconds and prevents healing/support abilities from working for 10 seconds. (P: Causes opposing team to target each other (so they have to use aimed attacks) and prevents healing/support for 5 seconds.)

R 2: Martyr. Kelsier brutally attacks a single player, killing him/her and causing moderate AOE damage to all others. All enemy team members permanently double attack, speed and dexterity. This cannot be removed by player abilities. All NPCs within the area become enemies. This attack automatically activates Con Artist to transform Kelsier into the Shadow and removes him from combat for three minutes. (P: causes major damage to one enemy player and mild AOE damage to others. Grants team members a permanent increase to attack, but it can be removed by enemy players. NPCs in range become allies until Kelsier returns as Shadow four minutes later.)

The Shadow: Support

This form is activated when Kelsier dies or performs Martyr. It can be activated by the Sovereign or >redacted< at any point by pressing D.

Auto “Attack”: Encourage. Raises all crew members spirits, raising their attributes by a third. (P: raises attributes by a 1/4.)

Q: Manifest Object. Kelsier manifests objects around enemy players causing them to slow for 5 seconds and to suffer mild to moderate immediate damage, with periodic damage over the next ten seconds. (P: slow is for 3 seconds and periodic damage only occurs for certain objects and lasts 5.)

W: Sow Confusion. Kelsier creates shadows and mist obscuring the battlefield for 15 seconds. This also causes players to view one another as enemies. (P: lasts 10 seconds. Enemy players cannot identify teammates for 5.)

E: As a Shadow, Kelsier cannot be harmed except by Nightblood, Hoid, or specialized weaponry/skills. As such, he has no escape ability in this form.

R1: Survive. Kelsier heals his crew by 15% every second for fifteen seconds. During this time all crew abilities are doubled and they cannot be stunned or slowed. All status effects are healed. (P: milder increases; heals for 10%) 

R2: Spike. Kelsier spikes one player, killing the player. This allows him to return as the Sovereign. (Whose ability sheet I’m not posting now.) This is the only way for him to leave his Shadow form.

6 hours ago, Gobsmack said:

That's super great! Ill add it to the top post later today but I just wanted to comment that that seems like an awesome design and very accurate to Szeth

12 minutes ago, Gobsmack said:

BrandoSando

Genius.

Pure. Genius.

8 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

A little? I guess we’ll see... (Note: I’m pretending he’s a NPC boss character for the players to defeat. He’s not meant to be played normally. I will put in parentheses notes for his player skills.)

Normally moba are PVP only games but I don't see a fundamental reason one couldn't do a PVE challenge

R 2: Martyr. Kelsier brutally attacks a single player, killing him/her and causing moderate AOE damage to all others. All enemy team members permanently double attack, speed and dexterity. This cannot be removed by player abilities. All NPCs within the area become enemies. This attack automatically activates Con Artist to transform Kelsier into the Shadow and removes him from combat for three minutes. (P: causes major damage to one enemy player and mild AOE damage to others. Grants team members a permanent increase to attack, but it can be removed by enemy players. NPCs in range become allies until Kelsier returns as Shadow four minutes later.)

Having the damage increase with the target's missing hp might help give the player version a feeling closer to what you intended :)

Also note that the R1/R2 thing comes from the fact that in Heroes of the Storm heroes chose which ultimate they'll use this game so currently you're giving players the option to get stuck in the Shadow form, it might be better to postpone the ultimate choice until they reach the >redacted< form

E: As a Shadow, Kelsier cannot be harmed except by Nightblood, Hoid, or specialized weaponry/skills. As such, he has no escape ability in this form.

The E doesn't have to be an engage/escape ability, it's just that if the character has one it will most likely be on the E :)

R2: Spike. Kelsier spikes one player, killing the player. This allows him to return as the Sovereign. (Whose ability sheet I’m not posting now.) This is the only way for him to leave his Shadow form.

One hit kills abilities are fundamentally unbalanceable, having this ability only work if the target is under a certain amount/percentage of hp would probably be a good idea :)

Honestly you've done great, especially for someone who tried such an ambitious desing without ever having played a Moba

Dalinar Kohlin
Support
King of Urithiru

Passive - True Glory

When allied Dalinar and allied champions slaying creeps near him give them a stack of True Glory, slaying any enemy champion or scoring an assist give three stacks. For every three stacks the champion attract a gloryspren, each gloryspren increases their attack speed and ability haste. Each champion can attract up to three glorysprens. Stacks of True Glory decreases over a few seconds when outside of combat or too far from Dalinar

Q - Surge empowering

Dalinar strenghten an allied champion, increasing their Attack Damage and Ability Power

W - Adhesion

Dalinar infuses the ground with Stormlight in a cone, rooting enemies

E - Stormlight Generation

Dalinar gives some Stormlight to an allied champion, restoring some of their mana. If the champion doesn't uses mana they instead get a small attack speed increase for a short time

R - Merge Realms

After a short channel time Dalinar opens a Perpendicularity for a few dozen seconds, regenerating the hit points and mana of allied champions in range (himself included) as well as significantly reducing the recall's channelling time and giving them nine stacks of True Glory. While Merge Realms is active Dalinar cannot move, attack or use ability except his recall

(I'm not sure for the reduced recall time)

This is not at all intended to be synergetic with Szeth I don't see what you mean

23 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Genius.

Pure. Genius.

Normally moba are PVP only games but I don't see a fundamental reason one couldn't do a PVE challenge

Having the damage increase with the target's missing hp might help give the player version a feeling closer to what you intended :)

Also note that the R1/R2 thing comes from the fact that in Heroes of the Storm heroes chose which ultimate they'll use this game so currently you're giving players the option to get stuck in the Shadow form, it might be better to postpone the ultimate choice until they reach the >redacted< form

The E doesn't have to be an engage/escape ability, it's just that if the character has one it will most likely be on the E :)

One hit kills abilities are fundamentally unbalanceable, having this ability only work if the target is under a certain amount/percentage of hp would probably be a good idea :)

Honestly you've done great, especially for someone who tried such an ambitious desing without ever having played a Moba

Dalinar Kohlin
Support
King of Urithiru

Passive - True Glory

When allied Dalinar and allied champions slaying creeps near him give them a stack of True Glory, slaying any enemy champion or scoring an assist give three stacks. For every three stacks the champion attract a gloryspren, each gloryspren increases their attack speed and ability haste. Each champion can attract up to three glorysprens. Stacks of True Glory decreases over a few seconds when outside of combat or too far from Dalinar

Q - Surge empowering

Dalinar strenghten an allied champion, increasing their Attack Damage and Ability Power

W - Adhesion

Dalinar infuses the ground with Stormlight in a cone, rooting enemies

E - Stormlight Generation

Dalinar gives some Stormlight to an allied champion, restoring some of their mana. If the champion doesn't uses mana they instead get a small attack speed increase for a short time

R - Merge Realms

After a short channel time Dalinar opens a Perpendicularity for a few dozen seconds, regenerating the hit points and mana of allied champions in range (himself included) as well as significantly reducing the recall's channelling time and giving them nine stacks of True Glory. While Merge Realms is active Dalinar cannot move, attack or use ability except his recall

(I'm not sure for the reduced recall time)

This is not at all intended to be synergetic with Szeth I don't see what you mean

In >redacted< form the player can swap between Shadow, Sovereign and >redacted<, or such is the concept. I like your idea that the 1hKO move only works if the target is below a certain HP, with the cutoff being harder for a player than the NPC boss.

I was kind of imagining Kell as being the boss in a >redacted< HQ. Defeating him grants you the ability to unlock him for a character. With all the forms being a pain and lots of mooks. And it having multiple stages.

I decided not to give him an ability for E, since as a Shadow he can merge with the environment (which I forgot to mention) and can’t be hurt normally. The trick would actually be to bait him into spiking a player who can resurrect or can be revived so Kell will become the Sovereign and can be hurt again.

32 minutes ago, The Unknown Order said:

This sounds assume. Although I've never played one before, I enjoy making characters for stuff like this. I decided to do Shai from the Emperor's Soul, which is probably my favorite book. I'll write it when I have the book for reference. 

see i always just use the coppermind wiki for reference. it's worked pretty well for me so far.

@Kingsdaughter613 I just read through your Kelsier stuff. It's super wild and would be an awesome pve challenge. For him to really work as a playable character personally i'd adapt and change a few of the ideas you mentioned, but for somebody who's never played a moba you've already come out swinging with a great concept.

46 minutes ago, Gobsmack said:

see i always just use the coppermind wiki for reference. it's worked pretty well for me so far.

32 minutes ago, Gobsmack said:

@Kingsdaughter613 I just read through your Kelsier stuff. It's super wild and would be an awesome pve challenge. For him to really work as a playable character personally i'd adapt and change a few of the ideas you mentioned, but for somebody who's never played a moba you've already come out swinging with a great concept.

The mods prefer if you don't post multiple times in a row. If you want to add stuff just press the edit button below your post.

11 hours ago, Gobsmack said:

Like I said, he’s primarily designed as a multi stage boss. Bosses get to be more powerful. And yeah, no MOBA experience. I mostly do MMORPGS and prefer single player more. What I was actually thinking was the mana cost on most of his abilities would be huge, so he’s very powerful but you’d have to use him strategically.

Continuing...

The Sovereign: Ranged Assassin (but has a lot more health/defense than most Assassins would)

Auto attack: Pewter Slam. Kelsier compounds pewter causing massive damage. (Way less damage as a player)

Q: Quick Shot. Kelsier shoots high caliber rounds at a player causing moderate damage. This also causes bleed damage for fifteen seconds and inflicts slow for five. (P: Mild damage, 8 second bleed, 2 second slow)

W: Allomantic Mastery. Kelsier pushes and pulls on all metals in the area causing mild to moderate AOE damage. This also shields him from projectile attacks for 10 seconds and from two physical attacks. The field remains up for 15 seconds. (P: 5 second shield, 1 physical attack, field lasts 8 seconds.)

E: Steel Flight. Kelsier can launch himself into the air, making him difficult to attack. He remains in the air for twenty seconds. This removes all movement impairing effects. (P: 10 seconds)

R1: Gold Compounder. Kelsier can compound Gold to heal for up to 75% of his total health over 5 seconds. He cannot be hit with negative status effects for 10 seconds. Negative status are healed. (P: 50% over ten. Negative status effects are healed.)

R2: Harmonium Bomb. Kelsier drops a Harmonium Bomb causing major damage to everyone in range. It also stuns for 5 seconds. This attack also hurts allied units and Kelsier (unless he is using Steel Flight). (P: Causes heavy damage and stuns for 3 seconds. Still hurts allied players and the player.)

D: Con Artist. Can use to become >redacted< or to become the Shadow.

Yes, this is supposed to be a difficult fight.

Edited by Kingsdaughter613

6 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Like I said, he’s primarily designed as a multi stage boss. Bosses get to be more powerful. And yeah, no MOBA experience. I mostly do MMORPGS and prefer single player more. What I was actually thinking was the mana cost on most of his abilities would be huge, so he’s very powerful but you’d have to use him strategically.

There's also the possibility of having long cooldowns

11 hours ago, Gobsmack said:

Ooh how fun. Your take on dalanar is real close to mine in some major ways. I'll probably post mine tomorrow and you can see.

I'm not very surprised, there are not a lot of way to do our favourite Boundsmith :)

I've just realised I've been using some moba jargon whose meaning might not be obvious to everyone here so I'll explain them now.

Rooted means unable to move (but still able to uses non-movement abilities). Grounded means unable to use movement abilities. Silenced means unable to use any ability. Stunned means unable to do anything. Unstoppable means immune to roots, slows and stuns. Blinded means unable to target, which stop you from using auto-attack and abilities like Szeth's Divided they fall and Dalinar's Surge empowering but not abilities like Dalinar's Adhesion or Szeth's Bring death.

RoW spoilers:

Spoiler

Thaidakar: Tank

Auto Attack: Investiture thief. Kelsier attacks a player using the player’s own auto/targeted attack, depending on range. This taunts the player for five seconds and causes Kelsier to be healed for 5% of the player’s health. (P: if the targeted attack is stolen, the player’s accuracy goes down.)

Q: Shadow Dart. Kelsier shoots a dart at a player, causing the player to be badly poisoned for 10 seconds. This also taunts the player and shields Kelsier for 10% of his current health for 5 seconds.

W: Criminal Cartel. Kelsier inspires his Ghostbloods, doubling their and his stats for 30 seconds. This also taunts the players for the same duration. This effect can be stacked. It also increases his rate of healing. (P: cannot be stacked and lasts 20 seconds. Taunt lasts ten. Does not increase heal rate.)

E: “Avatar”. Kelsier causes his Seons to scatter, creating a dozen duplicates of himself to appear around the battle field. While they have basically no health, they can cause mild damage or healing depending on the Seon. When “Avatar” is activated Kelsier gains a shield equal to 25% of his health for ten seconds. (P: The number of Seons is equal to team members and they cannot cause damage or heal. Shield lasts 5 seconds and is 10% of player health.)

R1: Hemalurgist. Kelsier targets a single player with a hemalurgic spike. This causes  significant damage, a bleed effect lasting 8 seconds, and permanently damaged one of the player’s stats for the duration of the battle. The ‘stolen’ stat is applied to Kelsier or any crew member he gives the spike to. No crew member can have more than three spikes and Kelsier cannot get more than two. The crew member spiked is healed for 10% of damage caused. This taunts all the players for ten seconds and the targeted player for fifteen. (P: moderate damage, bleed lasts 4 seconds, ability can only be used twice, effects only apply to player. Only 5% of damage caused heals the player. You can choose what stat you’re ‘stealing’.)

R2: Ghostblood. Kelsier will utilize a random player ultimate. This drains the player’s mana as though they had used the move. This also taunts the player for ten seconds or the duration of the ultimate, whichever is longer. While the ultimate is in effect the player cannot utilize it. This also steals 10% of a player’s current health and applies it to Kelsier. (P: Mana cost is shared equally between player and target. Does not steal health.)

D: Con Artist. This allows Kelsier to transition from Thaidakar to the Sovereign or the Shadow. Each transition stuns Kelsier for two minutes, during which he is immune to all damage.

In case anyone was wondering:

Spoiler

You discover a secret island on the Scadrian map. There you meet Kelsier, who initially seems to be an ally NPC who helps you as you get attacked on the map. At a certain point you figure out he’s behind the attacks, at which point he attacks.

After you beat him the first time, he’s ‘killed’ becoming the Shadow. At this point he causes you problems as you approach the Ghostblood HQ. You can’t hurt him unless you have Nightblood or Hoid or anti-light weaponry. He’s very difficult to catch though and only visible when using his abilities. You ‘beat’ him by getting him to Spike a player, allowing him to return to the Physical Realm. (Or avoid the whole issue by killing him with Nightblood at the beginning, but what’s the fun in that?)

After Kelsier returns as the Sovereign, he next fights you right outside the HQ. After he’s beaten there he retreats inside, sealing the building. You have to get inside, then go through a booby trapped maze to reach him. He also has several duplicates in the maze.

When you finally reach him, he is Master Thaidakar. After he loses a third health, Kelsier will start switching between Thaidakar, Sovereign and Shadow. He will stop switching after he is down 2/3ds health (although if he subsequently heals so he’s above 2/3ds health, then falls below again, he’ll go back to swapping).

After he’s defeated, the players gain the ability to use him as a character. Although for mechanics purposes, I think it might be better if players can only use him as the Survivor, getting a different D ability. The last two especially get a little crazy, since I was designing him as a NPC boss, rather than a PC.

Player D: Survivor. Kelsier can Survive one otherwise lethal attack, rapidly healing for up to a quarter of his total health. If this ability has not yet been used, it can be used to survive Martyr, in which case Kelsier receives the benefits of the ability.

Okay. This is likely to have been done wrong. 

Lift

Healer? Support?

Edgedancer

Auto attack: Hugs! Stuns a character for 3 seconds.

Z: FOOD! Restores mana levels completely. 

Q: Attack of the Shardfork! Summons a throwable Shardfork that can deal damage to one enemy Hero.

W: Rockbud Barrier. Creates a barrier of Rockbuds that stays up for 4 seconds.

E: Slickness. Allows you to go twice as fast for 10 seconds. 

R(1): Regrowth. Heals one Hero of your choice completely (including you).

R(2): Extreme Abrasion. All enemy Heroes have no control over their movements or actions for 1.5 seconds.

D: Cognitive Anomaly. Passive trait. Can interact with anyone in the Cognitive Realm (*looks at Kelsier*) and in the Physical Realm.