Noahdon

Theory: What REALLY splintered the Shattered Plains!? [Discuss]

5 posts in this topic

I have had this theory sitting in the back of my mind for a while and the recent events in RoW prompted me to join 17th Shard and pitch it to the cosmerenauts. This is my first major theory post, but I thought it was worth sharing. Please be gentle in your critique haha :)

While reading RoW and experiencing Navani experimenting with the science of frequency in the Cosmere I was reminded of Kabsals experiment with cymatics and how tones created different sand patterns corresponding to Akinah, Thaylen City, Vedenar, and Kholinar as a proposed proof that the Almighty exists.

I propose that this happened on a scale larger than a city back when Odium killed Honor. I believe the splintering of a shard shattered the plains. The remnants of this event are seen in the symmetric shape of the plains that could represent Honors tone before his death. I included some images of documents we were given from the cymatic experiment and the birdseye view of the shattered plains for comparison.

What do you think? Any contrary or supporting thoughts? Has this discussion been brought up before?

Map_shatteredplain.jpeg

Four_cities_analysis.jpeg

it's a reasonable theory, we don't have any evidence against it as far as I know.

I found something that can be taken as a pro or con 

26 "They blame our people / For the loss of that land. / The city that once covered it / Did range the eastern strand. / The power made known in the tomes of our clan / Our gods were not who shattered these plains."

So either it’s saying ‘our gods didn’t shatter these plains all Odium did was push Honor’ 

or it could be saying ‘Our gods weren’t involved at all in any way Odium didn’t touch the shattering Stormseet that was all you guys’

i like the theory I don’t know if it fits the timeline though, when was Stormseet destroyed before or after the recreance?

31 minutes ago, Bejardin1250 said:

So either it’s saying ‘our gods didn’t shatter these plains all Odium did was push Honor’ 

or it could be saying ‘Our gods weren’t involved at all in any way Odium didn’t touch the shattering Stormseet that was all you guys’

i like the theory I don’t know if it fits the timeline though, when was Stormseet destroyed before or after the recreance?

I don't know that we have confirmation of when they were Shattered, but both Shallan and Navani seem to think it happened during the Last Desolation.

WoR 60:

“The Shattered Plains haven’t always been shattered,” Shallan whispered to herself. “That's what the scholars, all but Jasnah, are missing. Stormseat was destroyed during the Last Desolation, but it was so long ago, nobody talks about how. Fire? Earthquake? No. Something more terrible. The city was broken, like a piece of fine dinnerware hit with a hammer.

WoR 77 (Navani speaking):

“It’s been centuries since that city fell. It was destroyed during Aharietiam itself, I believe. We’re going to have trouble finding clues out here, though your list of descriptions will help.”

There's another reference I had forgotten about as well, that I think supports the idea that sound may have been involved. This is from the epigraph to WoK 40:

“Death upon the lips. Sound upon the air. Char upon the skin.”

- From “The Last Desolation,” by Ambrian, line 335

Edited by mdross81

35 minutes ago, Bejardin1250 said:

I enjoy that quote a lot @Bejardin1250

Yeah the timeline clarification would be helpful. Since this is a Listener song we know that their originators The Last Legion were sent to fight in the farthest plains so I'm sure this quote is speaking of a more sprawling city that Stormseat was the center of. Maybe it was the eye of the storm, where Honor sat, and everything else shattered around it. 

Since gods are plural and this is a Listener song I would also assume this happens after they have accepted Odium and the Fused at their new gods during the Desolations. There's not much concrete here, but the inference is Odium and the Fused are not responsible for the shattering of the Shattered Plains. 

I wonder if something crazy happened like Honor choosing to give up his power for the greater good or breaking the rules of the Shard's power.

My other idea is that this was the entry point the first Bondsmiths landed at to escape Ashyn, but I don't think that works with the timeline either since the humans were worshiping Odium at this time most likely. 

Either we are confusing what entities are meant by "gods" or Odium really didn't do it. I'm still pretty sure it's his fault though.

@mdross81 I also think the "sound upon the air" fits nicely. Perhaps some destructive interference was going on between the pure tones of Roshar. But what tones were clashing?

It seems that all signs point to the Last Desolation, though I kind of wish they pointed to the False Desolation. The chaos happening with Ba-Ado-Mishram and the destruction of the Singer's minds could have been a similarly strong event happening in that location and puts the blame on a god Odium unmade and is no longer affiliated with. She could fit the criteria if we don't think it was from a shard's direct action. I wonder how many facts are just lost to history and false interpretations like the truth about the "voidbringers" being humans.

Edited by Noahdon
replying to two responders