How I think the Oathgates work

Anarchy

So we have good knowledge of how location is the same in the spiritual realm. Which makes me think that the Oathgates are realmatic transition beyond what Elsecallers do and puts you in the spiritual realm with a strong enough connection to the location of the other Oathgate and investiture to be pulled to the there instantaneously. And we do know these are transition points as you are able to go to the cognitive realm with them.

Questioner

You talked about Mistborn being the space traveler ones. I was wondering if you were going to utilize some of the speed bending into that, into the travel with it?

Brandon Sanderson

You will see what I do when I do that... The biggest problem is, for you physics majors, how we make sure that we're not breaking causality... So breaking causality is kinda my big no-no. For instance, I have right now that moving between Oathgates goes at the speed of light. But technically we still break causality, right, with Shadesmar stuff... But the issue--the way we can do it in Shadesmar is because it breaks causality, but there is so muc-- Like if you were able to go into Shadesmar, move at the speed of light, come out like, you could break causality but it's, in practice, impossible, because the difference is so slight.

We also break causality with the Spiritual Realm, but I can control that.

Questioner

Also you can just kind of like, mulligan that off.

Brandon Sanderson

...If we were having instant speed, communication and things like that... yeah if we have an ansible, that's how we're not breaking causality. How we're not doing the train thought experiment which breaks my brain...

So that's the big thing I have to worry about once we get to the Mistborn era, the space travel and stuff. Like, right now I don't break causality, or at least if I do, it is indiscernible to human ability to realize it. Once we get to actual space travel, and actual FTL, then I want to have rules in place, even if it is just like the rule for red shifts. On speed bubbles, where I say, "Yeah it just doesn't happen." Letting you know. But it would be no fun. Even if it's just that. But I at least want to have that in hand.

Emerald City Comic Con 2018 (March 1, 2018)

I remembered this WOB that describes the Oathgates as moving people at light speed, and that’s how their teleportation functions. It’s not been in the books yet though, so the mechanics might change. 

But assuming this remains canon, you’re right that the Oathgates transition between the Physical and Cognitive Realm. I doubt they go near the Spiritual Realm, though - at least, not that we have seen. The Spiritual Realm is too weird. 

Edited by RedBlue

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2021 at 8:51 PM, mathiau said:

There's literally no way teleportation is out of Elscaller's reach, it's just that going to Shadesmare is more intuitive

I believe in the books transportation is called the surge of motion and realmatic transition. To me, this implies that elsecallers should be able to use it without moving between realms.

5 hours ago, IAmTheStick said:

I believe in the books transportation is called the surge of motion and realmatic transition. To me, this implies that elsecallers should be able to use it without moving between realms.

Almost makes it sound like they should be able to push things around physically, including themselves.

Imagine pairing that functionality with Abrasion...