El's powers? (SPOILERS)

Cotton Sockets

At the end of RoW El is described as "The figure had twisting horns on his head and carapace that reflected the light wrong. He always ripped off his natural carapace formations at each rebirth, then replaced them with metal inclusions They were incorporated into his body by Voidlight healing and his own special talents." (page 1204)

Is El a fused with Hemalurgic powers? Perhaps something similar to a Kandra?

Edited by Cotton Sockets

4 hours ago, Bejardin1250 said:

I saw somewhere that someone thought it was Aluminum which sounds pretty likely as it would block shardblade attacks

i saw that too! but i didn't think this until now: could voidlight healing incorporate aluminum into a Singer body?

20 minutes ago, Bearer of Agonies said:

must be some talent. maybe he's a progression Fused (was his order ever stated?)

His order is never stated.

Kaladin has fought 7 brands of fused and I’m pretty sure he’s never fought “those ones of masks” so he could be that 9th brand which we don’t know what surge that is.

He could be progression I’m not sure if we’ve scene any of those yet although he could be a soulcasting brand.

And a few others we haven’t seen but Kaladins fought

I really don't think he has hemalurgic abilities. If that were the case, he'd have to get new spikes every time he was reborn, which sounds like it would be difficult logistically, not to mention there'd be a bunch of hemalugic spikes lying around from where he was killed.

Also, if he was actively using hemalurgy, why wasn't it used by the other fused/singers?

11 hours ago, Bejardin1250 said:

His order is never stated.

Kaladin has fought 7 brands of fused and I’m pretty sure he’s never fought “those ones of masks” so he could be that 9th brand which we don’t know what surge that is.

He could be progression I’m not sure if we’ve scene any of those yet although he could be a soulcasting brand.

And a few others we haven’t seen but Kaladins fought

I thought the Masked Ones were the Illumination fused like the one at the Thaylen gem vault. Raboniel was a soulcasting Fused, I think, and progression Fused are described as large, hulking Singers with the ability to shape their own carapace into tools and weapons. That could be useful for growing around metal plates. Alternatively I'm pretty sure we have not seen Division or Tension Fused at all yet, so he could be one of those.

29 minutes ago, Bearer of Agonies said:
12 hours ago, Bejardin1250 said:

I thought the Masked Ones were the Illumination fused like the one at the Thaylen gem vault.

Yes they saw one but Kaladin has never fought one I believe they had only had that one sighting of them by the time RoW started

28 minutes ago, Bearer of Agonies said:

, I think, and progression Fused are described as large, hulking Singers with the ability to shape their own carapace into tools and weapons. That could be useful for growing around metal plates.

Good point

22 hours ago, Bearer of Agonies said:

i saw that too! but i didn't think this until now: could voidlight healing incorporate aluminum into a Singer body?

Why wouldn't it? You aren't healing the aluminum, you're healing the body around the aluminum. Aluminum doesn't provide proximity protection. It blocks.

But El is interested in art. I'm guessing the metal inclusions are "piercings". He's just 90s emo.

3 minutes ago, Leuthie said:

Why wouldn't it? You aren't healing the aluminum, you're healing the body around the aluminum. Aluminum doesn't provide proximity protection. It blocks.

But El is interested in art. I'm guessing the metal inclusions are "piercings". He's just 90s emo.

Well than what are his special talents doing

I agree 100% it could be only healing accept for that line

This is still what under two years into the conflict? The Fused have been continually surprised by how good the Radiants are when stripped of their powers. Perhaps we can call that a theme of RoW. How ironic it would be if El is the champion and he goes in expecting to be invulnerable to a shard blade, and Dalinar, the good old Blackthorn shows up with a long sword LOL. Aluminum does very poorly against steel, or so I've heard :-p One problem is, that with the new Odium, he knows Dalinar too well, and might predict that. 

On 3/22/2021 at 3:48 PM, Bejardin1250 said:

Well than what are his special talents doing

I agree 100% it could be only healing accept for that line

Magical healing returns your body to a Cognitively conceived/believed state. The body naturally encases, isolates and (when it can) expels "inclusions" (I'm thinking splinters and bullets, or intentionally mounted pieces of metal). Piercings require some form of anchorage to keep them in place; either going all the way through a section of flesh and being held on the other side, or being mounted in bone, etc. Placing metal shards (whether aluminum or steel or other) and keeping them in parts of your body where you need them isn't easy. It would take some special abilities beyond healing to do so. El is a scholar of human art forms, so I assume his abilities deal with art...possibly shaping things. Shaping things be required to get metal to hold and to hold in exact shapes to be useful as armor or shard repellant or whatever he's using the metal for.

So most likely shaping things.

30 minutes ago, Leuthie said:

Magical healing returns your body to a Cognitively conceived/believed state. The body naturally encases, isolates and (when it can) expels "inclusions" (I'm thinking splinters and bullets, or intentionally mounted pieces of metal). Piercings require some form of anchorage to keep them in place; either going all the way through a section of flesh and being held on the other side, or being mounted in bone, etc. Placing metal shards (whether aluminum or steel or other) and keeping them in parts of your body where you need them isn't easy. It would take some special abilities beyond healing to do so. El is a scholar of human art forms, so I assume his abilities deal with art...possibly shaping things. Shaping things be required to get metal to hold and to hold in exact shapes to be useful as armor or shard repellant or whatever he's using the metal for.

So most likely shaping things.

to be fair, the Magnified Ones, the Fused with Progression, they can change the shape their carapace takes, so maybe El is a Magnified One who does not grow back his carapace after implanting the metal

1 hour ago, Bearer of Agonies said:

to be fair, the Magnified Ones, the Fused with Progression, they can change the shape their carapace takes, so maybe El is a Magnified One who does not grow back his carapace after implanting the metal

Possibility, but I get the feeling that El will be a type of Fused we haven't seen. I lean toward Tension, making the metal more malleable for easier placement.

2 hours ago, Leuthie said:

Possibility, but I get the feeling that El will be a type of Fused we haven't seen. I lean toward Tension, making the metal more malleable for easier placement.

You know what? maybe he's a Division Fused. Tension has not been shown to be particularly threatening, and in his interaction with El, the Defeated One was cautious with his safety. He seemed to think that El had some way of backing up his authority. Of course, this could be due to his newfound authority since the recent change in Odium, but it seems like El has been feared since before the True Desolation. I feel like El might be Division, since that's known to be a more dangerous Surge than Tension. Besides that, if we accept that El was He Who Quiets, then i feel that Division fits that better.

31 minutes ago, Bearer of Agonies said:

Besides that, if we accept that El was He Who Quiets, then i feel that Division fits that better.

I vehemently disagree that he is “He who Quiets” no matter what Brandon offhandedly says until I got full straight confirmation,  he is “Voice of Lights” to me

But from the perspective that he is I think “He who Quiets” could refer to the fact that he shuts everybody up (Like the Persuer) Their names seem to coincide with their personalities than their powers ( Raboniel used to be lady of pains, which was probably caused by the amount of death she was responsible for)

6 minutes ago, Bejardin1250 said:

I vehemently disagree that he is “He who Quiets” no matter what Brandon offhandedly says until I got full straight confirmation,  he is “Voice of Lights” to me

But from the perspective that he is I think “He who Quiets” could refer to the fact that he shuts everybody up (Like the Pursuer)

the thing is, Moash is given "He Who Quiets" when he kills Jezrien. When he silences Jezrien permanently. as in, Quieting enemies.

Edited by Bearer of Agonies

3 minutes ago, Bearer of Agonies said:

the thing is, Moash is given "He Who Quiets" when he kills Jezrien. When he silences Jezrien permanently. as in, Quieting enemies.

Are you agreeing or disagreeing?

Its about personality not power.

54 minutes ago, Bejardin1250 said:

But from the perspective that he is I think “He who Quiets” could refer to the fact that he shuts everybody up (Like the Persuer) Their names seem to coincide with their personalities than their powers ( Raboniel used to be lady of pains, which was probably caused by the amount of death she was responsible for)

29 minutes ago, Bejardin1250 said:

Are you agreeing or disagreeing?

Its about personality not power.

What about his personality has to do with lights? Would the Pursuer be afraid of a guy who used to be titled "Voice of Lights"? 

Brandon flat out saying on the Shardcast that Moash got El's old name doesn't count, huh?

"He accepted, took the singer name Vyre, which meant He Who Quiets" https://coppermind.net/wiki/Moash#Servant_of_the_Fused

Brandon Sanderson

In fact the original draft that I submitted to my writing group didn't yet have that scene where he go-goes. I was like "I'll get around to it eventually." They almost revolted. They're like, "WHAT? He's still alive?" I was like "No no. He will go-go. I just have to find the right way to write the scene." So they didn't actually get to read that scene with El and [Lezian].

Chaos

Definitely one of those Brandon ending scenes that are just like "Wow there's some weird stuff going on here."

FeatherWriter

So many new questions.

Brandon Sanderson

All these weird Fused who've been around way too long. The guy [El] that they gave his name [Vyre] to Moash.

Shardcast Interview (Jan. 23, 2021)

1 hour ago, Bejardin1250 said:

1. It was not offhanded it was direct confirmation
  2. Lezian says, 'They' in refering to giving El's title to a Human, not she, so it was more than just Raboniel.

19 minutes ago, Child of Hodor said:

What about his personality has to do with lights? Would the Pursuer be afraid of a guy who used to be titled "Voice of Lights"? 

He was a Scholar who Raboniel said is interested in lights

Hes second in command to Odium now of course Lezian is afraid

3 minutes ago, Frustration said:
  1. It was not offhanded it was direct confirmation
  2. Lezian says, 'They' in refering to giving El's title to a Human, not she, so it was more than just Raboniel.

Well of course I’m probably wrong

But I think it’s a slight possibility and would make much more narrative sense

Brandon may have been confused when he said that it was in an interview so... I don’t know most likely it’s He Who Quiets but maybe... just maybe it’s Voice of lights

Just now, Bejardin1250 said:

Ok true

so why do you think Lezian was afraid

I don't think El is an entirly safe individual, Lezian wasn't scared of either Raboniel or the Nine and even made demands of them, I don't think he's scared just of power.

4 minutes ago, Bejardin1250 said:

But I think it’s a slight possibility and would make much more narrative sense

I have to disagree I can only see that casusing problems