Really more of a Mistborn topic, but it’s going here for obvious reasons.

Withe recent revelations there’s been a theory that Thaidakar is a word in Skaa, possibly just Survivor translated. I disagree. I think Thaidakar is a Terris word.

Absinthew

Idashwy

Axindweth

Tathingdwen

Vwafendel

Tenningdar

Thaidakar

The title fits very neatly with the three syllable Terris words and names. It doesn’t match up nearly as well with words in Skaa, which tend to follow French-like linguistics.

Thematically, it makes a certain amount of sense  for Kelsier to have a title in all three major languages: Survivor in Skaa and Sovereign in the Southern Tongue, with Thaidakar coming from Terris. It’s similar to him seemingly utilizing all three metallic arts and using a triple diamond symbol.

Of course, if it is Terris, WHY Terris? And what does the word mean?

Thoughts?

I think Thaidakar was not original Kelsiers 

I think he co-opted an already existing title

Kalak says “Old Thaidakar has always wanted my secrets.” If it was kelsier why would 300 years be “always” Kalak has been alive for 7000 years that wouldn’t be a dent in his life also why does he call him ‘old’ 

So I think that there was a previous Thaidakar, who could have been Terris,that Kelsier has taken over that guys organization 

1 hour ago, Bejardin1250 said:

Kalak says “Old Thaidakar has always wanted my secrets.” If it was kelsier why would 300 years be “always” Kalak has been alive for 7000 years that wouldn’t be a dent in his life also why does he call him ‘old’ 

This doesn't necessarily track.  Grammatically, Kalak could just mean "as long as he's been around Thaidakar has wanted my secrets".  

4 hours ago, Bejardin1250 said:

I think Thaidakar was not original Kelsiers 

I think he co-opted an already existing title

So I think that there was a previous Thaidakar, who could have been Terris,that Kelsier has taken over that guys organization 

I can definitely see what you're getting at, but I agree that 'old' doesn't necessarily mean 'old relative to me', and that 'always' can be from Thaidakar's side. I mean, depending on context 'old mate' in Australia can be analogous to 'check out this loser'. It's kind of funny to think Kalak meant 'old mate Thaidakar always wanted my secret and now he won't leave me alone'.

As for why Terris (Mistborn Spoilers)

Spoiler

They could be interested in the applications of metals, as metals have effects on fabrials. The Terris might be more interested than Allomancers as this metal is outside their body, and external effects of metals might not be too interesting when you derive your power from metabolising them.

Also, Rashek's friends became mistwraiths and then kandra. The Lord Ruler may have sent some early kandra out before they developed the new kandra naming conventions, and named things in a Terris fashion. If the original Thaidakar (assuming there have been several) was one of the early kandra, then they would have appeared 1300 years prior to the current Stormlight Archive plot (using the 'Wax & Wayne' is set in the 15 year time skip + 300 years post-Catacendre + 1000 years of Final Empire). If I remember my WOBs right, there isn't a timeline for how long the kandra have been worldhoppers.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats true but there was an off world trade route through the pits of hathsin. TLR could of lead the ghostbloods and when he died the leadership role was gone. Our boy Kel may have seen this and when he got his body back took up the mantle. It wouldnt be the first time he was mistaken for the Lord ruler. 

I honestly dont think the Lord ruler was thaidakar. But if he was his death just left an opening for Kel to take over.

13 minutes ago, garlick said:

Thats true but there was an off world trade route through the pits of hathsin. TLR could of lead the ghostbloods and when he died the leadership role was gone. Our boy Kel may have seen this and when he got his body back took up the mantle. It wouldnt be the first time he was mistaken for the Lord ruler. 

I honestly dont think the Lord ruler was thaidakar. But if he was his death just left an opening for Kel to take over.

Per Brandon, TLR knew of the cross-world trade but wasn’t involved and didn’t care much.

• 2 weeks later...