Suicide by feruchemy of atium

Oltux72

Question

6 answers to this question

Iirc, you cannot store Feruchemical attributes to the point that you're basically completely devoid of said attribute while storing. Your vision will deteriorate while you're storing eyesight, but you cannot store at a rate that you're struck (temporarily) blind. I think Sazed mentions something like this, but I could be misremembering. If that's true, then it stands to reason that storing youthfulness would also have that limit built in so you can't store youthfulness to the point that you completely annihilate your lifespan.

On 22.3.2021 at 8:44 PM, Honorless said:

Iirc, you cannot store Feruchemical attributes to the point that you're basically completely devoid of said attribute while storing. Your vision will deteriorate while you're storing eyesight, but you cannot store at a rate that you're struck (temporarily) blind. I think Sazed mentions something like this, but I could be misremembering. If that's true, then it stands to reason that storing youthfulness would also have that limit built in so you can't store youthfulness to the point that you completely annihilate your lifespan.

That would mean that atium can be used to measure individual life expectancy.

It's not vanilla atium feruchemy and so slightly outside the scope of the question but there's a related WoB here about the dangers of compounding and duralumin:

Questioner

What happens if you burn duralumin while Compounding?

Brandon Sanderson

Duralumin while Compounding. So, what duralumin does is it burns out of all of your metal in one burst. So it doesn't necessarily gain you power, it makes it all happen at the same time. The same thing would happen.

Questioner

Could you turn into a baby?

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, you could totally turn into a baby. That is within the power of using that, doing <health wrong>, yeah you could totally... You'd be really dangerous.

Questioner

But it wouldn't really do much?

Brandon Sanderson

Oh it would have explosive... it does things really fast. That's what it does. Yes you could achieve very powerful sudden effects through that. It'd be scary. Controlling it can be dangerous, regardless of which metal you use.

Arcanum Unbounded Seattle signing (Dec. 1, 2016)

Based on this and the fact that a single bead of atium can revert you to childhood if you know what you're doing, careless compounding (with our without duralumin) resulting in you de-aging yourself out of existence seems like it could happen.

1 hour ago, Weltall said:

It's not vanilla atium feruchemy and so slightly outside the scope of the question but there's a related WoB here about the dangers of compounding and duralumin:

Based on this and the fact that a single bead of atium can revert you to childhood if you know what you're doing, careless compounding (with our without duralumin) resulting in you de-aging yourself out of existence seems like it could happen.

That is suicide by tapping. But what about suicide by storing?

8 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

That is suicide by tapping. But what about suicide by storing?

Hence the 'outside the scope' comment, but it's loosely related so I figured it was worth bringing up. We know that aside from there being bounds to how much you can store at once (like with storing speed) there are necessary secondary powers applied to magics, like Wayne not irradiating himself with redshift and tapping lots of weight not crushing you. I suspect but do not have a WoB to prove that this would also apply to (non-compounding) F-Atium usage, where you'd be prevented from storing more age than you have to give.

Oh yes, on your earlier comment about using atium to measure life expectancy, I think that fits well what we're told about healing magic in the Cosmere not doing anything for aging. If there's a point when you'll simply keel over because your Spiritual aspect 'knows' that you've reached your limit, then F-Atium could be interacting with that same principle to know 'okay, here's how old you can possibly get barring something special like lots of Breath' and using that as your upper boundary.

Edited by Weltall