A clue?

Frustration

I think I might have figured out Copper Compounding

So I was going about my goal to read every WoB and I came acrossed this one

Spoiler

Brandon Sanderson

We mention the Lord Ruler's flawless memory here. This is actually the only time in the entire series that it's mentioned. However, this is an important clue for later. However, as I'm writing this, without being able to hide this text, I don't want to explain too much and inadvertently ruin something. However, if you've finished the book, you might be able to figure out why the Lord Ruler might have a reputation for being able to remember things.

Mistborn: The Final Empire Annotations (Oct. 6, 2006)

Just using f-copper doesn't make sense because at one point or another he wouldn't have his memories and since TLR is able to compound copper so he must be compounding copper.

So I belive that compounding copper makes it immpossible to forget the memory you compounded.

Other WoB's

Spoiler

Questioner (paraphrased)

Does double copper give you perfect memory?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Good question. I haven't answered that one yet.

Shadows of Self Boston signing (Oct. 14, 2015)

Spoiler

FireArcadia

Is there any use to being a copper Compounder, from a Feruchemical point of view? I think the same point would also apply to an aluminum Compounder.

Brandon Sanderson

Some combinations, like some abilities themselves, aren't really that useful. That said, being able to Compound copper...that could do some things. Aluminum, not so much.

17th Shard Forum Q&A (Sept. 25, 2012)

Edited by Frustration

4 minutes ago, Bejardin1250 said:

But what would happen after he burned his first Coppermind. Would he lose the memory forever.

Maybe I’m misunderstood compounding but how would he constantly burn and keep his memories.

So, he would store his memories, and then when he burned them, he would remember them, and they would become impossible to forget

That doesn’t seem to follow regular compounding 

With everything else it runs out after a time and also with everything else there’s nothing special about that specific metalmind.

With Coppermind once you burn that memory it’s gone, right? 

Would he be constantly storing the memories he’s compounding in a Coppermind and then compound that? Like a never ending memory.

20 minutes ago, Bejardin1250 said:

That doesn’t seem to follow regular compounding 

With everything else it runs out after a time and also with everything else there’s nothing special about that specific metalmind.

With Coppermind once you burn that memory it’s gone, right? 

Would he be constantly storing the memories he’s compounding in a Coppermind and then compound that? Like a never ending memory.

Copperminds have always acted differently I don't see why that surprises you.

So could Kwaan also have been a copper compounder and not have noticed it? Copper clouding is only noticible if you have other allomancers around plus a seeker, and given the rarity of allomancers during that time (alendi, prospectivly, is the only other one we know of) and given the for ability to use allomancy unconciously, I'd say it's somewhat plausible.

6 hours ago, Frustration said:

So, he would store his memories, and then when he burned them, he would remember them, and they would become impossible to forget

I like where you are going but I dont think it just makes his memory Perfect after a Burn.  Rather I think it lets him Copy the memory, which in turn lets him recall the memory as often as he likes without the normal degradation Sazed mentioned (and without shardic interference), by always maintaining a Prefect Backup and lots of more disposable copies. 

There is another data point to this that I think is relevant:  The Memory that Hoid gave Wax is an awfully specific and coincidentally incriminating memory for Kelsier to have chosen to store but then lost to Hoid through off-screen shenanigans.  And while all that would be entirely in theme, another explanation is that compounding copper lets you copy a memory, and Kel chose that particular "Survive" memory as part of a distributed Message, recruiting tool, etc. and Hoid got his hands on a far less unique cosmere artifact than may have been implied.  

7 minutes ago, Quantus said:

I like where you are going but I dont think it just makes his memory Perfect after a Burn.  Rather I think it lets him Copy the memory, which in turn lets him recall the memory as often as he likes without the normal degradation Sazed mentioned (and without shardic interference), by always maintaining a Prefect Backup and lots of more disposable copies. 

There is another data point to this that I think is relevant:  The Memory that Hoid gave Wax is an awfully specific and coincidentally incriminating memory for Kelsier to have chosen to store but then lost to Hoid through off-screen shenanigans.  And while all that would be entirely in theme, another explanation is that compounding copper lets you copy a memory, and Kel chose that particular "Survive" memory as part of a distributed Message, recruiting tool, etc. and Hoid got his hands on a far less unique cosmere artifact than may have been implied.  

that is entirly possible, or a combination of the two.

I think you have the right idea with copying the coin there, but I don't think TLR would be told of as having perfect memory if that was the entirety of it.

7 hours ago, Quantus said:

What happens to your mind if you recall the same memories hundreds of times with perfect clarity?

In fact, can you become a savant at compounding specifically and what happens if you do?

4 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

What happens to your mind if you recall the same memories hundreds of times with perfect clarity?

In fact, can you become a savant at compounding specifically and what happens if you do?

That's a good question. Compounding is not safe so it's entirely possible there could be damage without steps taken. Perhaps it's dangerous without commensurate Zinc or maybe Electrum as a protective measure (sort of an analogy to the Lynchpin Spike needed if you overuse Hemalurgy)?