Long Game 75: Alethi Politics

Mat

... I like how "funky formatting" is literally just one extraneous line :P

I feel like Elandera hasn't... done much that's AI? The main thing that comes to mind was her reaction to the Whysper switch, but I feel like watching Araris organize a switch not from him to Books, but to an entirely new player vote wise would be weird enough to look at regardless of the alignments at first. Particularly if she wasn't reading Whysper as Elim. 

... do I have time to go down this rabbit hole. Probably not for long.

15 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

As for the Elandera, I think her dying will give us a lot of info we need. Araris has defended her. I’ve staunchly opposed her for most of this game. Quinn’s flip flopped on her. And everyone else has either avoided her or touched on her. Either way, I think her flip will be greatly revealing. 

Why can't anything make sensssseee xD 

I can't not be paranoid about Araris or Striker, but because I'm sus of both of them and they have opposite opinions of pretty much everyone except for me I thus can't have a solid opinion on anyone. Because every time I think this person seems like an elim, I'll realize that Striker or Araris is attacking them, and then I'm like wait but one person I'm sus of is attacking another person I'm sus of... and then the other one of Striker/Araris has to come along and defend the original person... and so I'm like "hmmmm maybe that's a team?" but then I'm sus of someone else and the same thing happens, but whichever of Striker/Araris was defending before is attacking now and vice versa...

Yeahhh and we have less than an hour left in this cycle so this is not good.

Actually, yeah y'know what, ElanderaIf she flips vil, I'll be more sus of Striker and... maybe less of Araris, though that could be an elim defending a villager for credit? Whereas if she flips elim I'll look more at Araris, who was defending her*, and less at Striker--though who knows, maybe Striker's decided to bus this game??? This is very confusing but I'm just gonna go with it.

@Ashbringer yeah but all the people who've done AI stuff that leans elim are me, Striker, and Araris basically, and we've gotten into such a tangled mess that unless a bunch of other, non-us people are about to seriously weigh in on that debate, it's just not gonna get us anywhere I don't think. also I don't want to be exed. 

Edited by Quintessential
*would like to clarify for legal reasons that I mean "was saying we shouldn't exe her" which at this point is kind of the same thing

Quinn. I'm going to vote TJ Shade. I came into this cycle suspicious of a Striker/Quinn team, and I don't think I've really changed my mind, except to become more suspicious of TJ. I don't think an Elandera flip will be useful (because I think she's village, and village flips don't tell us a whole lot). I'm bothered that again Striker and Quinn are voting together, and I guess I'll appeal the other other folks to back me up here.  @Ashbringer, @forget me not, @Gneorndin, @Condensation, @Elandera, any of y'all willing to join me on TJ? @Quintessential and @StrikerEZ, I don't know how you can both be so suspicious of each other and so comfortable voting for the same person. Would either of you be willing to defect to my cause?

Edit: I forgot to ping @Flyingbooks, who I would also ask to consider voting this cycle (unless you said you wouldn't be around this cycle, in which case I sort of apologize for bothering you).

Edited by Araris Valerian

5 minutes ago, Quintessential said:

@Ashbringer yeah but all the people who've done AI stuff that leans elim are me, Striker, and Araris basically, and we've gotten into such a tangled mess that unless a bunch of other, non-us people are about to seriously weigh in on that debate, it's just not gonna get us anywhere I don't think. also I don't want to be exed. 

I guess... it seems like you're (royal) exing Elandera because of how her flip would affect other people, not because of what you think she'll flip. Which is why everyone decided to exe STINK in the MR, which ended up not affecting anyone because he wasn't Zane/Gneorndin. That was a very different case than this one, but it still gives me pause.

Better point would be if we're talking about what info we get from an exe we need to talk about what info Village!Elandera gives us as well as just Elim. I like it more than exeing one of our our Triple Threat here, but I'd like to have more info on what that actually tells us and/or why the suspect is actually suspect.

...That goes for TJ too, Araris :P I'll look at the pair of them. What's 30 more minutes of procrastination going to do.

Just now, Araris Valerian said:

Quinn. I'm going to vote TJ Shade. I came into this cycle suspicious of a Striker/Quinn team, and I don't think I've really changed my mind, except to become more suspicious of TJ. I don't think an Elandera flip will be useful (because I think she's village, and village flips don't tell us a whole lot). I'm bothered that again Striker and Quinn are voting together, and I guess I'll appeal the other other folks to back me up here.  @Ashbringer, @forget me not, @Gneorndin, @Condensation, @Elandera, any of y'all willing to join me on TJ? @Quintessential and @StrikerEZ, I don't know how you can both be so suspicious of each other and so comfortable voting for the same person. Would either of you be willing to defect to my cause?

I'm comfortable voting for the same person as Striker because based on how that person flips, I can finally maybe get a bead on him, or on you. Or... I don't know. tbh I'm tempted to just not vote because it feels like whatever I'll do will end up being wrong.

Also how can you still think there's a Striker/me team??? Striker attacked me just as much as you did, possibly more since he took the time to go back through every previous cycle and take issue with a bunch of things I'd said. Including pointing out links between me and Whysper that, while he exaggerated them, do unfortunately still exist. Why would my teammate do that?

@Ashbringer so what do you suggest we do then? If you don't like voting off one of me/Striker/Araris, and you don't like voting off a less active player with the potential to give information on me/Striker/Araris...

I mean, I don't really think there's a good answer here at this point. Voting off one of me/Striker/Araris would theoretically give us more information than anyone else, but apparently that's not a good thing. I'm suspicious of most people to an extent, and also vaguely worried that the real elims are hiding among the people I've cleared for directly contributing to Whysper's death... which is not a productive state of mind to be in 25 minutes before EoD. But I can't help it. 

TJ is suspect for voting alongside Whysper last cycle and for voting on Elandera with Quinn and Striker this cycle. I honestly think he's elim. If he flipped village then I'd be a bit more confident in Striker/Quinn being e/e. But I'm also sort of procrastinating on actually pushing for a vote on one of Striker/Quinn, and I think TJ is a viable alternative.

On a not entirely unrelated note, I'm a bit worried that I'll be the NK tonight, which sort of makes me want to push for one of Quinn/Striker before I die. But that likely won't get much momentum in the last 20 minutes.

Here's a vote count for reference, probably the last time I'll post for clarifications:

• Elandera (3): TJ Shade, StrikerEZ, Quintessential
  • StrikerEZ (1): Elandera
  • Araris Valerian (1): forget me not
  • Tani (1): Ashbringer
  • TJ Shade (1): Araris Valerian

15 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

... I like how "funky formatting" is literally just one extraneous line :P

Okay shhh, it bothers me that it isn't spaced how I want it to be. :P

16 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

I feel like Elandera hasn't... done much that's AI? The main thing that comes to mind was her reaction to the Whysper switch, but I feel like watching Araris organize a switch not from him to Books, but to an entirely new player vote wise would be weird enough to look at regardless of the alignments at first. Particularly if she wasn't reading Whysper as Elim. 

I mean, same could be said for Whysper, and look how that turned out for us. Just because someone hasn't done a whole lot doesn't mean that they haven't been involved with things or that they haven't been touched on by other players. And learning things about one player's alignment, regardless of the flip, can tell us a lot about other players.

9 minutes ago, Araris Valerian said:

@Quintessential and @StrikerEZ, I don't know how you can both be so suspicious of each other and so comfortable voting for the same person. Would either of you be willing to defect to my cause?

You should be asking Quinn that, not me. I was the one that voted Elandera first. I'm suspicious of Quinn, but not enough to let that stop me from voting Elandera. I really want to know her alignment more than I want to know TJ's.

8 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

Better point would be if we're talking about what info we get from an exe we need to talk about what info Village!Elandera gives us as well as just Elim. I like it more than exeing one of our our Triple Threat here, but I'd like to have more info on what that actually tells us and/or why the suspect is actually suspect.

Well, for one, village Elandera makes me look very bad and makes Araris look better. Not sure how it affects Quinn. And...not many others have directly interacted with her a whole bunch, so I don't know what info we'd get off of them. I guess for you, it could make you look a little sus, like you could be acting so certain that she would flip village to try and get village cred. I'm not saying I think that's the case, just that it's a possibility if she flips village.

1 minute ago, Quintessential said:

@Ashbringer so what do you suggest we do then? If you don't like voting off one of me/Striker/Araris, and you don't like voting off a less active player with the potential to give information on me/Striker/Araris...

I'm reading through Elandera's posts right now, trying to find if something sticks out. Might do the same for TJ, but he's been talked about more in here (and I gut read him worse than Elandera).

I just don't want "info on Quinn/Striker/Araris" to be my main motive on voting out someone not named Quinn/Striker/Araris. Even though I'd rather not vote you three out, if my goal is to be information, that's what I would do because that's what gets that done better. Or I find a new goal.

Also I'm emotionally against taking my vote of Gneorndin/Tani because she still hasn't said anything

5 minutes ago, Araris Valerian said:

TJ is suspect for voting alongside Whysper last cycle and for voting on Elandera with Quinn and Striker this cycle. I honestly think he's elim. If he flipped village then I'd be a bit more confident in Striker/Quinn being e/e. But I'm also sort of procrastinating on actually pushing for a vote on one of Striker/Quinn, and I think TJ is a viable alternative.

...um we don't know whether me/Striker are elim yet??? why would him voting alongside us be sus now, before either of us have flipped? This is the second time you've just assumed the alignment of someone who hasn't flipped yet (the first time, you were making statements based on the assumption that Whysper/Dannex were v/v, which, as it happens, they weren't.) 

5 minutes ago, Araris Valerian said:

On a not entirely unrelated note, I'm a bit worried that I'll be the NK tonight, which sort of makes me want to push for one of Quinn/Striker before I die. But that likely won't get much momentum in the last 20 minutes.

I doubt the elims are gonna NK any of the three of us. Because we have the spotlight, which means we take up discussion and suspicion. And if one or more of us is actually elim, the elims aren't going to want to narrow that pool. And if they do kill someone it'll be me, since I claimed : P

6 minutes ago, Quintessential said:

Also how can you still think there's a Striker/me team??? Striker attacked me just as much as you did, possibly more since he took the time to go back through every previous cycle and take issue with a bunch of things I'd said. Including pointing out links between me and Whysper that, while he exaggerated them, do unfortunately still exist. Why would my teammate do that?

I guess I respect the two of you as players enough to be worried that you are pulling some kind of gambit. I think your interactions this cycle could easily have been a whole bunch of distancing (and I think Striker might have been ready to bus you). Striker certainly backed down easily enough when you challenged him.

1 minute ago, Quintessential said:

I doubt the elims are gonna NK any of the three of us. Because we have the spotlight, which means we take up discussion and suspicion. And if one or more of us is actually elim, the elims aren't going to want to narrow that pool. And if they do kill someone it'll be me, since I claimed : P

I certainly hope that's true, since I am greatly enjoying this game, and would like to survive long enough to figure out whether you have been duping me all this time, or if I really do just have the sort of face that only a mother could love.

Just now, Araris Valerian said:

I certainly hope that's true, since I am greatly enjoying this game, and would like to survive long enough to figure out whether you have been duping me all this time, or if I really do just have the sort of face that only a mother could love.

Pfff I hope I do get NKd, this is exhausting.

Also you severely overestimate mine and Striker's gambiting skills, I think :P he and I have been elim together before, and it didn't... go very well. 

1 minute ago, Araris Valerian said:

I guess I respect the two of you as players enough to be worried that you are pulling some kind of gambit. I think your interactions this cycle could easily have been a whole bunch of distancing (and I think Striker might have been ready to bus you). Striker certainly backed down easily enough when you challenged him.

I definitely only backed down because she appealed to my emotions and I just didn't want to have to deal with that. It's been a rough week, and wasn't a great weekend either, and I couldn't deal with that last night. So I backed off and stepped away to cool off. Also, you know me. We've been on elim teams together. My M.O. as an elim is to avoid my teammate's deaths as much as possible, often risking myself in the process to save them. Sure, maybe this is all some grand plan between me and Quinn, but what purpose does this serve us? Like, what do we get out of it? If the busing goes so hard that one of us ends up dying, how does that help us? Sure, that gets the survivor village cred, but it just makes it so much harder for our theoretical team to win in that scenario. 

Okay, I'll go Elandera. TJ's been much more assertive; Elandera's really only been assertive about players who are now dead (Dannex, Archer, Illwei, notable living player of Tani). Although I find it interesting that Elandera sussed TJ at one point and never followed up on it.

... that and I'm afraid the three of you will rip each other apart if I don't get the exe out of your reach.

Edit: Gneorndin

Edited by Ashbringer

Just now, Ashbringer said:

... that and I'm afraid the three of you will rip each other apart if I don't get the exe out of your reach.

lol You have no idea how much I want to believe that me, Striker, and Araris are all villagers who've just managed to end up going at each other's throats over misunderstandings. That would be nice : P

See, I was gonna switch my vote to Araris here because honestly, now that I'm thinking about it I just want to get some of this over with and not drag it out another cycle. But now there's probably no hope of that exe going through. Unless someone wants to join me.

I haven't had the time to read through past cycles and make an actual reads list, so I'll just vote based on my gut and the arguments against people that have been made today. I'm suspicious of Elandera, though it's mostly the way that she called Araris a nearly confirmed villager and called out people for shading him when they were simply putting out the reasons for their suspicions of him and the majority consensus seemed to be that he was pretty suspicious. This doesn't necessarily reflect on Araris' alignment because she could do this either as an elim protecting her fellow elim or as a way to try to be trusted when her early read turns out to be correct, but I think that e/e Elandera/Araris is more likely than e/v.