Long Game 75: Alethi Politics

Mat

Okay, I'm done with my tantrum, and will stop trying to suicide. Araris. Let's see if we can sort out this mess. Below is a rough sketch of my notes I just took in the last hour. I tried to cover every post that had a vote or a suspicion in it, although I may have missed something.

Spoiler

Gears - Low active for IRL reasons

Post-by-post analysis. Quinn as village, defends me from Tani, kind of, Dannex as elim

Subtle attack against players voting for Illwei

Slightly suspicious of me for “The Plan”

Attacks players for voting Dannex

Is happy to vote me

Randby - Low active

Ash - Low active for IRL reasons

Mentions IRL reasons to be inactive

Breaks tie to kill Dannex

Books - Low active

Vote on me, misunderstanding

Refuses to vote D1

Shares his starting Sphere count

-

Against killing Forge

Also against killing Dannex, votes Whysper

-

Votes me, self-preservation

Quinn - Active maybe elim but not likely

Poke vote on Tani

Agrees with TJ about Dannex and Books, retracts on Tani

Votes Archer

Moves from Archer to Illwei

Uncomfortable with Elandera vote on Illwei, switches from Illwei to Dannex

Finds a connection between myself, Elandera, and Dannex

Slight village read on Gears

Votes me for reasons from the night

Moves from me to Dannex

Votes me

Forge - Low active, first-timer

Gut vote on Illwei

-

Is confused

Votes Dannex

Tani - Somewhat active, maybe elim for C2 votes

Lots of fluff posts

Thinks we shouldn’t grinch D1

Votes me

Votes Dannex

-

Slight village read on Quinn

Votes Whysper

Switches to Dannex

Switches to Whysper

-

Votes Quinn then switches to Striker

Switches back to Quinn

Striker - Top suspect for pushing Dannex and myself

Happy to follow me onto Archer

Some conflict with Archer over plans

Votes Dannex

Switches to Illwei to cause a tie

Agrees with Quinn about me and Elandera

Follows Quinn’s vote on me

Follows Quinn’s vote on Dannex

Votes me

Elandera - Less active as game has gone on

Suspicious of Illwei and Tani, votes Tani

Moves to Illwei, right after my vote

-

Starts votes on Dannex

Suspicious of Archer trying to protect Dannex

-

Votes TJ

Whypser - Active but no strong read

Asks Forge a question but no vote

Votes Dannex

-

Village on Striker

Votes on Striker for “shading”

Follows Quinn onto Dannex

Hedges on Dannex after role reveal

-

Has Elandera/Forge, Books/Tani as possible elims (slash means or)

Votes Books, hedges on Striker

TJ - Low active, was running the MR

Poke on Randby, never moved

Gut elim on Dannex and Books

-

Mixed read on me

Elim on Whysper

Vote on Elandera

Strong elim read on Books

Village on Striker

Prefers Dannex over Whysper

Switches to Dannex

-

Votes Books

The formatting didn't copy over super well from google docs, but whatever. Dashes and extra spaces separate cycles. The first comment by each name is my impression before doing the reread. I didn't really give my opinions on these things, they are just there for my own reference.

Of note is that Striker has been following along with people a decent amount this game. My best guess, based on this reread, is that the elim team is Striker, Whysper, and Gears, in order of decreasing activity. I don't know about how many elims there are, but a fourth could be pretty much anyone. 

I've mentioned my suspicion of Striker already. The fact that he's been following other players rather than coming up with his own suspicions makes me more suspicious. Whysper has been playing very safe this game. If Striker actually is elim, then I think this fits, since Whysper started with some suspicions of Striker but shifted to hedging and then a village read. I have Gears as elim since he basically seems to be attacking people for their votes without really doing much to contribute to discussion in the moment. For now Whysper gets my vote, since Gears is inactive and Striker is willing to talk a lot.

I've voted on Tani, Books, and TJ in the past, so I figure I should say why they aren't on the team. Tani and Books could be a fourth elim, but They both had minor things that make them lower priority. Books was the first player to share having started with spheres, and I don't know if an elim would want to do that. It would give them trust, but it could also let the village know how close they are to getting a Knife. Tani was opposed to the D1 vote, which historically has been a rather dangerous thing to do. And TJ has a legitimate reason for his lack of posts. I just forgot that he was GMing the MR.

I've also mentioned Quinn earlier, but I think the fact that she has pre-empted Striker several times makes her the less suspicious of the pair. I doubt the two are e/e, although that would be an interesting gambit to pull off.

Araris (3): Striker, Quinn, Books
Books (3): Whysper, TJ, Ash
Quinn (1): Tani
TJ Shade (1): Elandera
Whysper (1): Araris

@Araris Valerian Tagging you because it's a lot easier to copy and paste this in case I lose the post if there's new posts (at the time I'm starting this post, we have 49 minutes left). I'm confused by what you meant by me being happy to follow you onto Archer? I had my own suspicions of him D1, then started trusting him more and more as the game went on, besides for some posts here and there I got caught up on. I believe at one point I said that I kept flip flopping on him, but was primarily reading him village. I probably wouldn't have voted on him, post-D1, unless the game got much further along and he was still alive and I wasn't suspicious of anyone else. 

As for me being willing to follow people, I will admit that that's mostly what I've been doing. I get on, quickly catch up with what's been said, and vote based on what people have said that's convinced me, and if there was anything from the specific players that my gut felt off about. It's been a really really rough week for me, so I'm just trying to play as well as I can right now. I have a 3 day weekend starting tomorrow, so I'm planning on going through and rereading everything and taking some notes and trying to get an idea for what's happened with the context of the alignments we know by now. However, right now, based on what I can remember and the vibes I'm getting while keeping up with the thread, I'm the most sus of you, Books, maybe Whysper (though I keep flip flopping on her). I trust Quinn, though that could just be because we've been mind melding. :P I don't know what to make of Tani, I trust Ash (though that's tentative for now), and TJ hasn't really done much for me to get a good read of what's going on with him. Everyone else has also not done a whole lot for me to get a read off of, and I think it's likely that we've got at least one elim in that group. Oh, I forgot to mention Elandera. I'm still sus of her as well, I just don't know for sure on her either way.

Anyway, @Gears @forget me not @Random Bystander we've got 40-ish minutes left. Do you have any thoughts on who should die? You should vote. Voting is the best way to let your thoughts be heard, to cause discussion, and to help people make reads off of you.

Edited by StrikerEZ
Fixed some grammar stuff

3 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

Tagging you because it's a lot easier to copy and paste this in case I lose the post if there's new posts (at the time I'm starting this post, we have 49 minutes left). I'm confused by what you meant by me being happy to follow you onto Archer? I was had my own suspicions of him D1, then started trusting him more and more as the game went on, besides for some posts here and there I got caught up. I believe at one point I said that I kept flip flopping on him, but was primarily reading him village. I probably wouldn't have voted on him, post-D1, unless the game got much further along and he was still alive and I wasn't suspicious of anyone else. 

Yeah, that isn’t really a big deal. It’s just something took note of, more so when I saw it as a trend. I said follow because I voted on Archer and your vote followed mine. Happy because of the confidence of your post I guess.

Another thing about Books being likely village is asking whether my self-vote earlier was a confession of being elim. Forgot to mention that above, but I don’t think an elim would ask that, or at least I don’t think elim!Books would.

9 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

Araris (3): Striker, Quinn, Books
Books (3): Whysper, TJ, Ash
TJ Shade (1): Elandera
Whysper (1): Araris

@Araris Valerian Tagging you because it's a lot easier to copy and paste this in case I lose the post if there's new posts (at the time I'm starting this post, we have 49 minutes left). I'm confused by what you meant by me being happy to follow you onto Archer? I had my own suspicions of him D1, then started trusting him more and more as the game went on, besides for some posts here and there I got caught up on. I believe at one point I said that I kept flip flopping on him, but was primarily reading him village. I probably wouldn't have voted on him, post-D1, unless the game got much further along and he was still alive and I wasn't suspicious of anyone else. 

As for me being willing to follow people, I will admit that that's mostly what I've been doing. I get on, quickly catch up with what's been said, and vote based on what people have said that's convinced me, and if there was anything from the specific players that my gut felt off about. It's been a really really rough week for me, so I'm just trying to play as well as I can right now. I have a 3 day weekend starting tomorrow, so I'm planning on going through and rereading everything and taking some notes and trying to get an idea for what's happened with the context of the alignments we know by now. However, right now, based on what I can remember and the vibes I'm getting while keeping up with the thread, I'm the most sus of you, Books, maybe Whysper (though I keep flip flopping on her). I trust Quinn, though that could just be because we've been mind melding. :P I don't know what to make of Tani, I trust Ash (though that's tentative for now), and TJ hasn't really done much for me to get a good read of what's going on with him. Everyone else has also not done a whole lot for me to get a read off of, and I think it's likely that we've got at least one elim in that group. Oh, I forgot to mention Elandera. I'm still sus of her as well, I just don't know for sure on her either way.

Anyway, @Gears @forget me not @Random Bystander we've got 40-ish minutes left. Do you have any thoughts on who should die? You should vote. Voting is the best way to let your thoughts be heard, to cause discussion, and to help people make reads off of you.

I don't really know. But Araris seems likely. I mean, everyone seems like they could be an Elim, so yeah.

1 hour ago, Ashbringer said:

I'll vote Books. Their activity is odd this cycle. @Flyingbooks, could you post a read list? Because you seem to be suspicious of only Whysper and Araris, who happen to be 2/3 of the people voting on you. And I'd rather not vote out the relatively active Araris (even if he wants to go talk to Illwei. Sorry :P.)

I don't have enough time to go over all of the previous cycles and compile an actual reads list right now and I've been pretty busy for the past few days, but I'll post one on the weekend. Although obviously, that won't happen if I get exed. Before I re-read through a thread, I typically only have relatively tentative reads about the alignment of a few of the more active players. I only really take notes about people's posts and my opinion of them when I'm actively making a reads list, which I have not done yet.

Just now, Araris Valerian said:

If everyone seems likely to be an elim, would you be willing to vote on Whysper instead of me?

I would be willing to switch to Whysper if there are enough other willing people so that I would not be exed.

edit for no double posting: Because I haven't looked back on the threads list, neither of my main suspicions (you & Whysper) take precedence over the other.

Edited by Flyingbooks

1 minute ago, Flyingbooks said:

I would be willing to switch to Whysper if there are enough other willing people so that I would not be exed.

Yeah, that is a good point, I guess. @Ashbringer, would you consider voting for Whysper instead of Books? I gave a couple of minor reasons why I think Books is village, at least for now.

8 minutes ago, Araris Valerian said:

Yeah, that is a good point, I guess. @Ashbringer, would you consider voting for Whysper instead of Books? I gave a couple of minor reasons why I think Books is village, at least for now.

Eh... sure. Books Whysper

Reaaaaaally don't like that RandBy vote though.

Araris (3): Striker, Quinn, Randby
Books (3): Whysper, TJ, Elandera
Whysper (4): Araris, Forge, Ash, Books

Uhhh...not a fan of this sudden shift onto Whysper out of nowhere. Though, I guess this is what I get for requesting everyone to come on and vote. :P

Night Three: Whatever Works

I’m not quite sure how it happened, but I certainly am not complaining.

-Mishinah Bethab, wife of Highprince Bethab, 1173.7.5.5

Dalinar rubbed his face in exasperation. “Please!” he shouted over the noise. “Let us be civilized!”

Elhokar was staring at the ceiling, shaking his head. The King wasn’t even trying to restore order.

“We can discuss this like true Alethi!” Dalinar continued. “Wait, that came out wrong. Like, er…” Alethi were known for fighting. Perhaps that was a bad analogy.

Not that it really mattered over all this noise, though. Shouts across the room, fingers pointed- no one had quite come to blows yet, but Dalinar felt it had been close.

A few men were cornering Ruthar- understandable, seeing as how much the man seemed to resent Dalinar. Others pointed fingers at the fellow with his nose in a book, accusing him of not participating in the search for the murderers.

Personally, Dalinar didn’t see why anyone had to be accused of anything, but he had learned that his views weren’t shared by others. They should be, but they weren’t. Still, he raised a hand, futilely trying to silence the politicians. But they were angry. Too many of their own had died recently. And while Dalinar was right there with them in their grief, he had done enough killing in his lifetime.

Within seconds, the scattered individuals seem to combine into a relatively centered circle. Dalinar could hear words of ‘We need to choose’ and ‘But who!’ though he couldn’t pick out exactly what was happening.

Elhokar groaned.

A shout suddenly rose over the tumult. “How about her?”

The silence was deafening. Every eye turned to see who was being referenced. A young woman, in the corner, who spoke only in whyspers.

For an extended moment, nothing happened. Then someone took a step toward the woman. And then another, and then more people joined them.

Dalinar looked away.

When it was done, her belongings were searched. And Dalinar’s surprise was unreal when signs of traitorous behaviors were discovered.

He sighed. “Whatever works. Long live Alethkar.” And then strode off to have his post-meeting drink, something that had become a tradition of late. A needed one.

Storm you, Sadeas. Dalinar thought. Whatever your game is, storm you.

Whysper was mobbed on a whim! She was one of Sadeas' Influenced!

Vote Count:

• Araris Valerian (2): StrikerEZ, Quintessential, Random Bystander
  • Flyingbooks (3): Whysper, TJ Shade, Elandera
  • Quintessential (1): Tani
  • Whysper (5): Araris Valerian, forget me not, Ashbringer, Flyingbooks

The Night has begun and will end in 23ish hours on Friday, April 2 at 5pm PST.

• Get your actions in!
  • PMs are closed unless through actions.
  • The marketplace is closed due to the recent Financial Crisis.

Player List:

Spoiler
  1. @Gears - Roko the Basilisk
  2. @Random Bystander - the Random Bystander
  3. @Ashbringer - Faleast
  4. @Flyingbooks
  5. Dannex - Spokesperson
  6. @Quintessential - Lady Lumi Tominel
  7. The Unknown Order - Obliteration - Highprince Vamah
  8. @Araris Valerian - Ruthar
  9. @forget me not - Cara
  10. @Gneorndin/Tani - Reva
  11. Archer - Filico - Highprince Thanadal
  12. @StrikerEZ
  13. @Elandera
  14. Illwei - Highprince Aladar
  15. Whysper - Sadeas' Influenced
  16. @TJ Shade

Edited by Matrim's Dice
I had 47 hours instead of 23. But had the correct date. Huh.

Crackpot theory: Whysper, Araris, Books, and 1 of [Ash/Forge] are the elim team. One of them was going to end up dying today, so they went ahead and bused Whysper since she was the vanilla amongst them (her death confirms the existence of vanillas), and one of Araris or Books is Sadeas.

Now, I don't actually believe that, but I think it would be amazing if that was actually the case. :P

For my real thoughts, I do think that Forge, Ash, and Books are temporarily in the clear. I'm not clearing Araris because he's known for busing, even if he's recently said that he's trying to do it less often. :P

Awww Striker got there first with clearing Ash (but yes, I agree with Striker's assessment of those three--the reasons being: Ash tried to vote Whysper at the end of D2 and let Dannex survive, but got there too late, and he also cast a more or less deciding vote on Whysper just now; Whysper was voting Books from the start of D3, and Books has voted her this cycle and last cycle; and Forge was the second vote on Whysper last cycle).

I'm currently quite sus of Elan, for consistent bad vibes from all of her vote posts, and then a last-minute vote on the same person the now-confirmed elim was voting. Not feeling great about Randby either, except that she voted on Araris when the other option was still Books, so eh. The post felt off, as Araris and... somebody else mentioned. No idea what I think of Araris--I'm once again with Striker xD I'd clear him, but bussing.

It's late for me so I'll wait until tomorrow to post anything more... hopefully now that there's a confirmed elim my vote analysis stuff will be good for something :P 

Well, I'm glad that worked out. I'm also sort of glad for the suspicion on me, since the elims probably aren't as likely to NK me at this point. I agree that Elandera and Randby both look worse after last turn, although I don't think it makes sense for them to both be elim. I still think Striker has a decent chance of being elim, and possibly Gears as well if there are 4 elims.