Long Game 75: Alethi Politics

Mat

17 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

@Quintessential I wasn’t advocating for the Highstorm event to be done tonight. Just reminding everyone there’s a natural Highstorm coming up. :P

Thanks, totally wouldn't have forgotten. Probably not, at least.

Anyway, cycle's over. Stop posting, etc.

Day Three: Phil or Fil?

With the politics operating the way they are, it’s no wonder the markets are in this condition. Those who are loyal are dropping as fast as any horse can run. We must turn this around.

-Mishinah Bethab, wife of Highprince Bethab, 1173.7.5.4

A lonely creature skittered down the main roadway of Highprince Thanadal’s warcamp. To most, it was a simple cremling, but it was so much more than that.

Through it and many, many others, Philico could see the world.

And through it he would discover Thanadal’s game. It was obvious the man himself wasn’t doing it on purpose, unless he had been worldhopping under Philico’s nose. That certainly didn’t seem likely.

The hordeling arrived at Thanadal’s building, and squeezed under the door. Its path would take it up to the bedroom, where Thanadal would be sleeping.

It took longer than expected. Stairs, it turned out, were a nightmare to go up when one’s hive mind single hordeling was less than an inch tall.

Finally, Philico reached the door he was searching for, and once again squeezed the hordeling under. Into Thanadal’s room.

The bedside lamp was cracked a bit open, a half-dun sphere spilling out a bit of light, enough to see. Not that he needed it. Philico’s hordelings- this one at least- had been specially bred to have night vision. Without the sight, it would have been lost in the corridors of the building long before reaching this point.

The hordeling made its way up the nightstand to get a good look at Thanadal’s slumbering face. ‘Filico’s’ face. One of the single most insulting and confounding things Philico had ever encountered, all at once. And he had been stabbed in the back by Faleast on multiple occasions.

How was he doing it? The Alethi Highprince surely had no knowledge of Philico, likely not even of the Sleepless themselves. Philico searched the man’s face, looking for a clue.

There. In his ear, a small piercing. He was Spiked, hearing the voice of… something. Something bent on trolling Philico to a ridiculous measure. Philico was impressed the earring worked out here, but he supposed if the Hemalurgic Intelligence functioned in space, this was hardly different. In basis, anyway.

Thanadal’s eyes snapped open.

The hordeling instantly skittered behind the lamp, but Thanadal immediately picked it up and shined it on him. “Philico!”, he said. “It’s me, Filico!”

Philico growled (metaphorically), and summoned all manner of hordelings to rush in. It had once been a surveillance mission. No longer.

Philico formed in the room, in his usual body. Thanadal sat up, grinning like a child on their birthday. “Hello, doppelganger! What brings you here?”

Phlico growled (literally), and took a step forward. “Let the prince go, ...thing!”

Thanadal laughed. “Whatever do you mean? I’m Filico!”

“No, you’re… not!” Philico retorted.

“No, you’re… not!” Filico retorted.

Philico screamed in frustration.

Filico screamed in glee.

Finally, Philico couldn’t take what Filico was doing anymore.

Filico couldn’t either.

Philico took a step forward and slipped out a knife.

Filico took a step forward and removed a knife from Thanadal’s drawer.

Philico swung.

Filico swung.

One was a Sleepless. The knife passed right through, the body separating into hordelings.

One was not. The knife did not.

Philico stood breathing heavily over Thanadal’s corpse, not proud, but content that it was finally over.

“Why?” he said. “Why can’t this just be a normal situation?”

Archer has been modkilled! (Not really). He was Highprince Thanadal!

Financial Crisis Event has been triggered! For the duration of this cycle, no purchases can be made in the marketplace.

A natural Highstorm has occurred! Each player gained 2 spheres.

The Day has begun! It will end in ~47 hours on Thursday April 1 (no joke), at 5pm PST.

• JK Archer, your RP was great :P It was a good opportunity, though. This has been a fun game to GM thus far.
  • There will be a majority execution today, with ties being decided randomly.
  • PMs are closed unless through actions.
  • The marketplace is closed.

Player List:

Spoiler
  1. @Gears - Roko the Basilisk
  2. @Random Bystander - the Random Bystander
  3. @Ashbringer - Faleast
  4. @Flyingbooks
  5. Dannex - Spokesperson
  6. @Quintessential - Lady Lumi Tominel
  7. The Unknown Order - Obliteration - Highprince Vamah
  8. @Araris Valerian - Ruthar
  9. @forget me not - Cara
  10. @Tani - Reva
  11. Archer - Filico - Highprince Thanadal
  12. @StrikerEZ
  13. @Elandera
  14. Illwei - Highprince Aladar
  15. @Whysper
  16. @TJ Shade

Edited by Matrim's Dice

There sure are a lot of highprinces dying, apparently. :ph34r: 

Anyway, at least one of my reads was right this game, even if I occasionally flip flopped on him. Anyway, Araris. I'm not a fan of how his votes have played out this cycle and I still think he could be an elim, even if Dannex wasn't one. 

Huh. Okay. Well I'm now realizing from going through and greening out Archer's name in my notes that I'd managed to conf-bias my way into believing he was elim... so thanks to the elims for clearing that up for me :P (and sorry 'bout that, Archer).

It may take me... a while to figure out where to go from here : P but for now I'll vote Araris, as I'd said I would. 

My top suspicions are currently Tani and one of Striker/Quinn, but Striker a decent bit more than Quinn. I'm pretty sure Archer wouldn't have voted for me this cycle, so killing him makes me easier to get rid of, but since he wasn't actively defending me, I think elims would have be comfortable with the kill. So it makes sense for an elim to lead the votes on me this cycle. Quinn is on my radar for the cheerfulness thing, whereas I've gotten the impression that Striker is just trying to guide the village into a whole bunch of misgrinches (if you're village, then I sort of apologize, but not really).

29 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

I'm not a fan of how his votes have played out this cycle and I still think he could be an elim, even if Dannex wasn't one. 

So my lack of a vote the first 100 minutes of the cycle is suspicious? I'll assume, like Quinn before you, that you mean something else. I'm pretty sure you've dug from one tunnel into another if you're somehow village.

Assuming the Dannex/Whysper was v/v (since I don't have much of a read on Whysper), it seems likely that an elim would have voted on Whysper at least at some point, and I find Tani's vote the most suspicious of the all, followed by Quinn's. The vote on Tani is also so I can feel a little less bad about contradicting myself about voting out active players early (although with this size of game, C3 isn't really early, per se).

2 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

There sure are a lot of highprinces dying, apparently. :ph34r: 

What just happened with Archer? Why was he saying he was prime NK candidate? Was it just from being outed as HP? Or was there something more?

2 hours ago, Elandera said:

I suspect the elim(s) in the Highprince doc may be killing based on who they suspect are also in the doc so they can control the events to their advantage.

Hmm, you might actually be right with how things are going. I would have thought they'd go for non-HPs first to get Elho, but maybe they do think the events are worth controlling first.

1 hour ago, Araris Valerian said:

My top suspicions are currently Tani and one of Striker/Quinn, but Striker a decent bit more than Quinn.

Assuming the Dannex/Whysper was v/v (since I don't have much of a read on Whysper), it seems likely that an elim would have voted on Whysper at least at some point, and I find Tani's vote the most suspicious of the all, followed by Quinn's.

I was thinking that either Tani or Books would be the Elim that voted for me last cycle. Both votes seemed opportunistic. The thing is that Tani is hard to read because they seem to purposely play chaotically. They moved the vote back and forth between me and Dannex. As for Books, he just said something about thinking at least one person on Dannex is an Elim, and then said he would vote me because I was the only one with votes already. That seems like a weak reason to single me out from all those on Dannex.

Books

Going to put a vote here so we don't forget him.

Quinn is on my radar for the cheerfulness thing, whereas I've gotten the impression that Striker is just trying to guide the village into a whole bunch of misgrinches (if you're village, then I sort of apologize, but not really).

I've been kind of agreeing with what someone else said about Quinn just being different since Illwei isn't around anymore. I still lean her Villager.

As for Striker, I've been going back and forth on him. Sometimes I feel he's Villager trying really hard to figure things out. But then other times I have that nagging feeling that he's misguiding us as you say. I had started to think that I possibly did overact with the one post where I felt he was shading me, yet I also have suspicions that he is simply Elim. But a couple other people commented about how they thought his post was innocuous, so not sure.

Edited by Whysper
spelling

1 hour ago, Whysper said:

I was thinking that either Tani or Books would be the Elim that voted for me last cycle. Both votes seemed opportunistic. The thing is that Tani is hard to read because they seem to purposely play chaotically. They moved the vote back and forth between me and Dannex. As for Books, he just said something about thinking at least one person on Dannex is an Elim, and then said he would vote me because I was the only one with votes already. That seems like a weak reason to single me out from all those on Dannex.

Books

I didn't think that Danex was an elim, so I wanted to place my vote on a person who could be elim who I had a chance of getting people to move onto. This was within the last hour, so I was mostly concerned with shifting the exe from Dannex, who I thought had an extremely low likelihood of being an elim to anybody who I could who I thought has a higher chance of being one. You were simply the only other even slightly person who I could hope to shift the exe to.

(BTW, could you please use they/them pronouns for me)

4 minutes ago, Flyingbooks said:

I didn't think that Danex was an elim, so I wanted to place my vote on a person who could be elim who I had a chance of getting people to move onto. This was within the last hour, so I was mostly concerned with shifting the exe from Dannex, who I thought had an extremely low likelihood of being an elim to anybody who I could who I thought has a higher chance of being one. You were simply the only other even slightly person who I could hope to shift the exe to.

Why did you feel so certain that Dannex wasn't Elim? And why was everyone else on his wagon up for grabs as more likely Elim? I mean, you should assume that most of the wagon would be Villagers themselves. Elims aren't going to all pile on him. That's usually how it works. It doesn't seem like you put any thought into who was more likely the Elim on the wagon.

8 minutes ago, Flyingbooks said:

(BTW, could you please use they/them pronouns for me)

Ahhh, I'm so sorry about this. I will try to remember to do so. :) 

10 hours ago, Araris Valerian said:

Assuming the Dannex/Whysper was v/v (since I don't have much of a read on Whysper), it seems likely that an elim would have voted on Whysper at least at some point, and I find Tani's vote the most suspicious of the all, followed by Quinn's.

There's no reason to assume that Dannex/Whysper are v/v; also, even if they are, why is my vote sus?

@Tani I assume this is a futile question, but why are you voting Striker?

9 hours ago, Whysper said:

As for Striker, I've been going back and forth on him. Sometimes I feel he's Villager trying really hard to figure things out. But then other times I have that nagging feeling that he's misguiding us as you say. I had started to think that I possibly did overact with the one post where I felt he was shading me, yet I also have suspicions that he is simply Elim. But a couple other people commented about how they thought his post was innocuous, so not sure.

^ This xD Striker feels vil to me, but like... vil in a way that makes me paranoid he's actually elim. It's very confusing lol

9 minutes ago, Quintessential said:

@Tani I assume this is a futile question, but why are you voting Striker?

1 hour ago, Tani said:

Reasons that I wont tell right now.

And cuz more people seem to suspect Striker. Im fine with voting either you or striker, but suspect you more.

(This may or may not be a tunnel.) (Reasons have to do with things that happened in LG74)

Actually Quinn.

There's no real reason I should suspect Striker. Neutral read on him. Quinn, however...

3 minutes ago, Quintessential said:

I've no idea what Maill has to do with this game xD

What did Maill have to do with LG74? (What he did, not his alignment. If you think you understand, don't talk.)

Also this hint was specifically made so only a few people could understand, and so you would understand best.

2 hours ago, Gneorndin said:

What did Maill have to do with LG74? (What he did, not his alignment. If you think you understand, don't talk.)

Also this hint was specifically made so only a few people could understand, and so you would understand best.

I mean...I'd like to be able to say something in response to your suspicion of me. For what it's worth, we're allowed to talk about games that have already ended. We just can't talk about ongoing games except for in their threads, docs, or PMs.

13 hours ago, Araris Valerian said:

So my lack of a vote the first 100 minutes of the cycle is suspicious? I'll assume, like Quinn before you, that you mean something else. I'm pretty sure you've dug from one tunnel into another if you're somehow village.

I definitely meant the first cycle. I was tired when I wrote that post and didn't reread what I wrote. And I'm not trying to tunnel on you, I've just got no leads besides you, in terms of my suspicions. I guess maybe Whysper or Elandera. If none of you three are elims, though, I don't know where to look besides that.

13 hours ago, Araris Valerian said:

My top suspicions are currently Tani and one of Striker/Quinn, but Striker a decent bit more than Quinn. I'm pretty sure Archer wouldn't have voted for me this cycle, so killing him makes me easier to get rid of, but since he wasn't actively defending me, I think elims would have be comfortable with the kill. So it makes sense for an elim to lead the votes on me this cycle. Quinn is on my radar for the cheerfulness thing, whereas I've gotten the impression that Striker is just trying to guide the village into a whole bunch of misgrinches (if you're village, then I sort of apologize, but not really).

I'm really not trying to set up a whole bunch of misgrinches. I'm just voting where I think things make the most sense. But, also, after sleeping on it, I'm not even sure my vote staying on you makes the most sense anymore. I'm just really confused. :P

12 hours ago, Whysper said:

What just happened with Archer? Why was he saying he was prime NK candidate? Was it just from being outed as HP? Or was there something more?

Probably just from him outing himself. Someone felt like it was worth taking him out since was a confirmed highprince basically. Does make me worried with how many highprinces are dead so far. It could be that the elims are trying to go for control of the events completely. And by eliminating the other highprinces, they know exactly where to look for Elhokar or the Assassin, if we have one. Assuming we started with 9 highprinces, that means that there are 5 left right now. And, depending on the distribution, the elims could already have control over the events now. If they have 3 highprinces, they already outnumber the village highprinces. If they have 2, then they just need to kill one more and they at least have parity, and could probably just convince one of the other two highprinces to vote with them. To any remaining village highprinces: don't claim at this point. We need you alive and to continue voting on events that will help the village. Plus, your deaths will help narrow down the pool for the Assassin and Elhokar. 

12 hours ago, Whysper said:

I mean, I am really trying to figure things out. Why do you feel like I'm trying to misguide you guys? Is it the certainty in which I frame my ideas and points and stuff? I do that mostly because I think strong opinions and strong words puts pressure on people (which can get elims to get antsy and slip up), and it causes more discussion, even if it's just to call me out on messing something up. I can understand if it feels a bit like I'm trying to mayor or lead you guys down certain paths though.

1 hour ago, StrikerEZ said:

Probably just from him outing himself. Someone felt like it was worth taking him out since was a confirmed highprince basically

I think Whysper is referring to where he said "I'm already a prime NK target, so I might as well..." and then proceeded to claim. I'm... not sure where that came from either, but I doubt it's really worth worrying about tbh.

I mean, I am really trying to figure things out. Why do you feel like I'm trying to misguide you guys? Is it the certainty in which I frame my ideas and points and stuff? I do that mostly because I think strong opinions and strong words puts pressure on people (which can get elims to get antsy and slip up), and it causes more discussion, even if it's just to call me out on messing something up. I can understand if it feels a bit like I'm trying to mayor or lead you guys down certain paths though.

In my case, I just feel uneasy agreeing with someone so much; I'm kinda used to having to actively defend a lot of the things I say, so seeing you agree with me (and me agree with you) is... weird to me. Also I definitely get the thing about certainty :P I got attacked for that last LG (by the elims I was accusing of being elims xD).

Other than that, the only thing really is that vote switch thing from C1 (tie-not tie-tie : P) but... eh. I'm definitely paranoid enough that I don't trust you, but I'm not in a hurry to exe you either and besides I still feel bad about LG74.

6 minutes ago, Quintessential said:

I think Whysper is referring to where he said "I'm already a prime NK target, so I might as well..." and then proceeded to claim. I'm... not sure where that came from either, but I doubt it's really worth worrying about tbh.

...I forgot that that happened first. I wanna ask him what that meant once the game is over because that's confusing me. :P

7 minutes ago, Quintessential said:

In my case, I just feel uneasy agreeing with someone so much; I'm kinda used to having to actively defend a lot of the things I say, so seeing you agree with me (and me agree with you) is... weird to me. Also I definitely get the thing about certainty :P I got attacked for that last LG (by the elims I was accusing of being elims xD).

I mean, that's completely fair. I'm normally used to having people call me out on everything I say as well, so it is nice to have some people agree with me about things. :P

9 minutes ago, Quintessential said:

Other than that, the only thing really is that vote switch thing from C1 (tie-not tie-tie : P) but... eh. I'm definitely paranoid enough that I don't trust you, but I'm not in a hurry to exe you either and besides I still feel bad about LG74.

To be fair, the tie thing stemmed from you calling me out on wanting the tie earlier in the Day and then deciding to break a tie, so I was just like, "you know, maybe I should just go for the tie because that's what I was being called out for, and I don't want to be a hypocrite." :P I can understand not trusting me, especially if I keep surviving. It's not very often I last awhile in a game when I'm a villager. :P

I'm really not trying to set up a whole bunch of misgrinches. I'm just voting where I think things make the most sense. But, also, after sleeping on it, I'm not even sure my vote staying on you makes the most sense anymore. I'm just really confused. :P

Maybe the issue is with how confident you sound. But I got the impression last cycle that you wanted to grinch me today regardless of how Dannex flipped. Similar thing from Quinn. I'm not sure that makes sense given that my understanding of your suspicion of me is that it's related to the manner I voted on the counter-Dannex wagon D1.

Also, like I said above, I think you're tunneling, both in the sense that you are focusing on me, and that you don't really have any other suspicions (at least not that you've mentioned this cycle).

Last, as sort of a general comment directed at everyone, we need to get some more votes out in the first 24 hours than we currently have. Like, does anyone have an opinion different from mine about people voting on Whysper being suspicious? Does anyone think Whysper is elim (which is, as Quinn mentioned, a distinct possibility)? Anyone just have a random bad gut feeling about someone (that hopefully isn't me)?

18 minutes ago, Araris Valerian said:

Maybe the issue is with how confident you sound. But I got the impression last cycle that you wanted to grinch me today regardless of how Dannex flipped. Similar thing from Quinn. I'm not sure that makes sense given that my understanding of your suspicion of me is that it's related to the manner I voted on the counter-Dannex wagon D1.

The reason I thought your vote on Illwei in D1 was suspicious wasn't because I thought Dannex was sus at the time. Actually it was the other way around. I voted for Dannex that cycle (in the end) because I thought your vote on Illwei was suspicious, especially given the timing. So no, Dannex's flip (as village) is NAI on you--as I've been saying since N1--and thus it doesn't affect my suspicion of you at all. :) 

18 minutes ago, Araris Valerian said:

Last, as sort of a general comment directed at everyone, we need to get some more votes out in the first 24 hours than we currently have. Like, does anyone have an opinion different from mine about people voting on Whysper being suspicious? Does anyone think Whysper is elim (which is, as Quinn mentioned, a distinct possibility)? Anyone just have a random bad gut feeling about someone (that hopefully isn't me)?

This evening I'll sit down and start working through what v!Archer means for... everything. xD

In the meantime, my random bad gut feelings are primarily directed at Striker (which I think is just my irrational paranoia at this point), Elan, Ash (maybe?), and Forge and Tani (and you, of course, but you already know that). Though idk that listing them is all that helpful. Whysper I have a good (ish) gut feeling on, and her votes seem pretty village, but I'm not making any assumptions based on that : P

Ninja'd by Forge, I'll edit in a response to her once I post and see what she's said.

Edit: @forget me not the timing and tone and reasoning of his vote on Illwei; Illwei and Dannex were tied for most votes and he broke that tie. He did it agreeing with reasoning that (in retrospect) was pretty flimsy and that normally I'd expect him to argue with or ignore, and he voted on the more active player in the tie, which is also odd for him. Last cycle, he didn't vote on either of the main candidates, choosing to instead vote the inactive TJ (who's running the other game right now, so like... not surprising he hasn't been around much). Also some things he's said since I placed that vote that feel off to me (drawing conclusions based on the assumption that Whysper is village, when we don't know whether she is, being sus of me for being cheerful of all things? I hate being elim xD, and so on)

Edited by Quintessential

17 minutes ago, Quintessential said:

Edit: @forget me not the timing and tone and reasoning of his vote on Illwei; Illwei and Dannex were tied for most votes and he broke that tie. He did it agreeing with reasoning that (in retrospect) was pretty flimsy and that normally I'd expect him to argue with or ignore, and he voted on the more active player in the tie, which is also odd for him. Last cycle, he didn't vote on either of the main candidates, choosing to instead vote the inactive TJ (who's running the other game right now, so like... not surprising he hasn't been around much). Also some things he's said since I placed that vote that feel off to me (drawing conclusions based on the assumption that Whysper is village, when we don't know whether she is, being sus of me for being cheerful of all things? I hate being elim xD, and so on)

Ok. That makes sense. 

I wish I knew what to think. Right now I am still confused and I am not sure who to trust and who not to. (Or who to vote on....)

37 minutes ago, forget me not said:

Ok. That makes sense. 

I wish I knew what to think. Right now I am still confused and I am not sure who to trust and who not to. (Or who to vote on....)

When in doubt, vote on who the most people are sus of. Or don't vote. That's what I do.