The enemy’s champion identity

Sol

Spoiler

Reading oathbringer. There are three references I’ve wondered if they tie together. I’ve attached the excerpts from Oathbringer.

1. the first experience that Dalinar sees the Enemy’s champion, it’s seems there was deliberate intent not to give any description about what Dalinar saw except that it caused immense fear. - this makes me believe that Dalinar recognizes the eyes as someone he knows. 

2. Then a second reference to the Champion, Renarin reacts with a lot of fear, but no explanation as to why, only a deliberate comment that no one else noticed. - Renarin can see the future, does he know who the champion is? I know Dalinar says “a parish men perhaps”, but I don’t think it really means anything more than “I don’t want to talk about who it is”

3. Later on Adolin comments “I was born under the sign of nine”. You can’t tell me there wasn’t deliberate purpose to his birth referencing that number, but is the intention connected?

4. My wife also mentions that Brandon Sanderson commented about Adolin being “something else” when someone prodded him about if Adolin would be a knights radiant. 

934EC727-8CD5-4451-AD13-C67AEFACD3B1.png

E2548FE3-110B-43E8-B384-FC69BA73F85D.png

7B0B9EDF-E2FA-4824-93B4-05F9C827AF9C.png

You mean the Champion with Nine Shadows? Hmm... can't help you there, I didn't pay attention to their mentions much, I'm afraid

A lot of people seem to be theorizing about the Champion being someone Dalinar loves and cannot bring himself to kill... Personally, I think that would be rather cliché.

I think the sign of the nine means tanat, under the sign of the Herald Talenelat'Elin, not 9 as a no. of Odium.

Edited by Honorless

On 3/14/2021 at 1:03 PM, Bejardin1250 said:

I’m pretty sure that the one that Dalinar saw was Dalinar thats why it was so familiar 

All future sight and fortune at that time was saying he would become the Champion of Odium

@Bejardin1250 nailed it.  Before the climax of Oathbringer, Odium had set Dalinar up to become his champion, and both Dalinar and Renarin realized it.  But the intervention of Cultivation - pruning his painful memories, and allowing them to return gradually - prevented that outcome.

I think the Adolin quote is just a toss-in mention of Rosharan astrology. 

I'm also not sure if this is totally accurate, but I heard in a podcast that in WoK just before Kaladin swears the 2nd Ideal and saves Dalinar, he sees that Moash has 9 shadows. This has been in the back of my mind for a while and I definitely want to look it up in the book to see if it is true. If it is it could have serious implications. I've only read up to Dawnshard so I'm not sure if anything develops with Moash related to this (if it's even true) in RoW. If anyone else knows anything about this it would be nice to know some more solid information.