A few months ago, I tried writing a story. It completely failed. I was unable to get past the prologue.

However, I really like my idea, and I refuse to give up on it until I try everything. So here's the prologue.

Spoiler

427 years earlier...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tanner woke up. He felt tired, as if he had just ran a marathon while carrying a bag full of rocks. With a grunt he sat up, and looked around. He was in a room with approximately 30 other people. The ages ranged from about 5, to about 60. At least, that’s what he assumed. He didn’t know where we was, who the people around him were, or why they were there. 

How could he, when he barely knew himself. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tanner was reading. There were many, many different books, but they all had one thing in common. They were all histories of previous civilizations. They had found a way out of the room, but a small group had decided to stay behind to see if they could learn anything. They had been studying for a few weeks, and were close to being done. Each chapter in each book contained a brief explanation of one year of the civilization. The amount of time that each civilization lasted ranged from 1-676 years. Tanner frowned. “I think we should lay these out, starting with the first one. I think I see a pattern.” One of the only things Tanner still remembered, was how to crack a code.

They laid the books out, and Tanner used a piece of paper and a pencil he had found to crack the code. He started writing. 81. That would be 9. 36. That’s 6. 625. That’s 25. He continued writing until he had done that to each and every book. Then, he changed the numbers to letters. It read:

ifyouarereadingthisthereissomethingyouneedtoknowthisplacehasheldmanycivilizationsandyourswillbethelastwhoamiyouwillhavetofigurethatoutyourselvesiwillbesendingatrialyourwayandiamnottellingyouwhenbereadyeveryyearhaveagrouppreparedyouwillneedanewoneeachyearwhenthetrial comesifyouhavepeoplepreparedthenandonlythenwillyourcivilizationhaveanychanceofbeingsafe

They all stared at it for a while, and then they decided to try to split it up into words. Once they were done, it read:

If you are reading this, there is something you need to know. This place has held many civilizations, and yours will be the last. Who am I? You will have to figure that out yourselves. I will be sending a trial your way, and I am not telling you when. Be ready. Every year have a group prepared. You will need a new one each year. When the trial comes, if you have people prepared, then, and only then, will your civilization have any chance of being safe.

Tanner and the others shared a look. This was something they’d need to show everyone.

A few months later, they had a makeshift society. It turned out that none of them remembered their past lives. They remembered their names, and a few useful skills, but that was it. They had prepared a group, like the note had told them to, and were trying to stay alive. 3 of them knew how to farm, and were trying to grow some of the wild grains that they had found. 5 of them knew how to hunt, and were hunting. They knew how to do other things as well, but at the moment, food was the most important thing. 2 of them were wonderful cooks. 1 of them was a doctor, 2 were teachers, and tanner was a mathematician. There were 5 kids, who were cared for by the teachers. There were 4 engineers, who were trying to construct homes. And there were also 3 forcers. They were fairly skilled, and they each, luckily, had different talents. They all worked hard, and tried to make the most of life. But there was a shadow looming over them. 

The shadow of the coded trial.

So, this RP would happen on this world. They currently have a fairly advanced society, as the RP will place over 400 years after the prologue I wrote. Think late 1800s. Basically, anything that was invented before 1900 here has been invented in this world. 

In the prologue, I mentioned "forcers". Forcers can use forces around them to do different things. They are basically the magic users of this RP. They can't create fire or anything, but can do stuff like manipulate radio waves, change gravity, see electro-magnetic fields, etc. If it manipulates something similar to that, it's probably allowed. Each forcer only has one power. And please ask if your power is allowed. I don't want anyone to have a character that is way too overpowered. 

Also, they have a government similar to the U.S.A's. 

Character Sheets

Spoiler

Random Bystander

Spoiler

Name: Juliana Johnson 

Appearance: Short, dirty blonde hair. Blue eyes. Tall and lanky. Pale skined. Scar on the back of her neck.

Skills:[Redacted by the FPEW*]

Weaknesses:[Redacted by the FPEW*]

Personality:[Redacted by the FPEW*]

Backstory:[Redacted by the FPEW*]

*Forcers Preventing the End of the World (Yes, this is going to be important to the story later on. She's basically going to be the Gandalf of the RP.)

AmazingGoob

Spoiler

Name: Dekas Niloth

Power: Gamma ray manipulation

Bio: Dekas lives normally in [wherever this is set] ignoring his power, which he abhors due to it's obvious violent uses. He's generally kind, if a little cowardly.

The Unknown Order

Spoiler

Name: Isyrus Frost

Appearance: Unkempt look, pale blond hair and frosty blue eyes (likely where his family name came from, all those years ago).

Skills: Fairly good with a knife and short sword. Anything that takes much muscle he tends to frown at and not do. Is smarter than average, but not by much.

Weaknesses: Not much muscle, in fact he avoids most hard work. Not very good at making friends because of his superiority complex and frosty nature. He is also a pyromaniac and has learned that by manipulating colors to make a fake fire is very helpful for him. 

Personality: Frosty, but often vicious. He has a bit of a superiority complex.

Backstory: I don't know enough about the world for this.

Edited by Random Bystander

Character:

Spoiler

Bio: Dekas lives normally in [wherever this is set] ignoring his power, which he abhors due to it's obvious violent uses. He's generally kind, if a little cowardly.

On 3/12/2021 at 10:54 PM, The Unknown Order said:

Yes. You can.

And you'll just have to wait and see. :D

(I can start the RP once you post a character.)

9 hours ago, AmazingGoob said:
  Reveal hidden contents

That's good. :)

4 hours ago, Random Bystander said:

Ok.

Name: Isyrus Frost

Appearance: Unkempt look, pale blond hair and frosty blue eyes (likely where his family name came from, all those years ago).

Skills: Fairly good with a knife and short sword. Anything that takes much muscle he tends to frown at and not do. Is smarter than average, but not by much.

Weaknesses: Not much muscle, in fact he avoids most hard work. Not very good at making friends because of his superiority complex and frosty nature. He is also a pyromaniac and has learned that by manipulating colors to make a fake fire is very helpful for him. 

Personality: Frosty, but often vicious. He has a bit of a superiority complex.

Backstory: I don't know enough about the world for this.

1 hour ago, AmazingGoob said:

... I could have sworn I had responded. I was actually wondering why you guys weren't doing anything. :P Sorry.

Also, this next thing may seem like it goes against some of the stuff I said, but it will make sense later. 

Juliana sighed as she walked down the unfamiliar street. She had volunteered to help the people who would be saving the world. She didn't know anyone, and honestly felt out of place, even in her costume. Her first task was to find the people, and organize them into a group. She had been told that either they would confront her, or she'd instinctively know who to confront. Why did I volunteer for this? I should have let someone more experienced do this. Oh well, too late now. Do I have my grenades ready? She checked her bag. Yep. I think I'm ready.

7 hours ago, AmazingGoob said:

@Random Bystander

Dekas sits quietly outside a coffeehouse, sipping his drink as he usually does in the mornings, watching the pedestrians pass, including a normal-looking blonde girl.

This place looks like it came out of a sitcom.  She sighed. I wish I'd just stayed home. I could be curled up on the couch wearing pants watching TV. Instead, I'm walking down the street in a old fashioned dress, looking for... She then saw someone. Oh. Looks like I found the first one. She started walking over to him.

2 minutes ago, Random Bystander said:

This place looks like it came out of a sitcom.  She sighed. I wish I'd just stayed home. I could be curled up on the couch wearing pants watching TV. Instead, I'm walking down the street in a old fashioned dress, looking for... She then saw someone. Oh. Looks like I found the first one. She started walking over to him.

Dekas looks behind him and around him, looking for someone else this girl would be walking to. When it's obvious it's him he straightens and says, "Well, uh, good day ma'am. How may I help you?"

Just now, AmazingGoob said:

Dekas looks behind him and around him, looking for someone else this girl would be walking to. When it's obvious it's him he straightens and says, "Well, uh, good day ma'am. How may I help you?"

I just realized that I have no idea how to not sound creepy or crazy while inviting your character on an epic quest.

Ugggg. Why are people so formal here? "I need your help to save the world. The end will come if it is not stopped." I sound insane.

1 minute ago, Random Bystander said:

Ugggg. Why are people so formal here? "I need your help to save the world. The end will come if it is not stopped." I sound insane.

"Wha- what? Excuse me madam, but are you feeling all right?"

9 minutes ago, Random Bystander said:

She sighed. "I am feeling perfectly fine. I assume you are a Forcer. Am I right?"

He frowns, and a bit of agressiveness enters his voice. "Indeed I am, but I am not inclined to use my powers, and certainly not for some lady that interrupted my morning coffee to help her 'save the world.'

Just now, AmazingGoob said:

He frowns, and a bit of agressiveness enters his voice. "Indeed I am, but I am not inclined to use my powers, and certainly not for some lady that interrupted my morning coffee to help her 'save the world.'

She smirked. "Yeah, I assumed." Her accent suddenly changed from something that passed as normal, to something that was completely foreign. "After all, you don't have the FPEW, or any of the info I have..." 

10 minutes ago, Random Bystander said:

She smirked. "Yeah, I assumed." Her accent suddenly changed from something that passed as normal, to something that was completely foreign. "After all, you don't have the FPEW, or any of the info I have..." 

He narrows his eyes. "Who are you? And what on earth is the FPEW?"

10 hours ago, AmazingGoob said:

He narrows his eyes. "Who are you? And what on earth is the FPEW?"

Oh dang. Did I over do it? Eh, whatever. It seems to be working. "I'm Juliana." She held out her hand. "Representative of the FPEW, or Forcers Preventing the End of the World. You've undoubtedly heard of the Coded Trial, and probably just assumed it wouldn't happen in your lifetime, but newsflash! It's happening. You don't have to believe me, but..." She smirked again. "Then the end of the world could possibly be on your conscience. I'd choose carefully if I were you."

2 hours ago, Random Bystander said:

Oh dang. Did I over do it? Eh, whatever. It seems to be working. "I'm Juliana." She held out her hand. "Representative of the FPEW, or Forcers Preventing the End of the World. You've undoubtedly heard of the Coded Trial, and probably just assumed it wouldn't happen in your lifetime, but newsflash! It's happening. You don't have to believe me, but..." She smirked again. "Then the end of the world could possibly be on your conscience. I'd choose carefully if I were you."

Should I know about the Coded Trial? If so, what does he know about it?

39 minutes ago, AmazingGoob said:

It's a big part of the culture here. Almost everything (including government, education, and religion) revolves around it. He'd know exactly what it is, and there is a good chance he'd have it memorized.

Of course, Juliana is from a totally different place with a totally different culture... One that your character wouldn't know about. No one there does. (I'll explain later.) 

3 hours ago, Random Bystander said:

His frown deepens. "Fine then. If the Coded Trial is happening, prove it. I don't want to throw away my life for some panicked nutbag."

7 hours ago, AmazingGoob said:

His frown deepens. "Fine then. If the Coded Trial is happening, prove it. I don't want to throw away my life for some panicked nutbag."

She snorted. "And how would you like me to do that?" 

Dang. I don't quite know how to prove this... Oh well.

50 minutes ago, Random Bystander said:

She sighed, and leaned in. "I could compensate you for your efforts. Say, 100 chips?" 

A thousand dollars of today money or 1800s money :P

"Hmm. Give me the money first and I'll come with you. No guarantees I'll stay, though."

Edited by AmazingGoob