10 Things You Might Have Missed In Rhyth of War (Spoilers for Cosmere)

TheBlueShifting

Hello 17th Shard, It's Been A While...

After finishing Rhythm of War, I was bursting at the seams with all the amazing revelations and confirmations that fill the pages of this book. RoW might be the most Cosmere aware book we have seen published yet and I loved it. There are so many things to share but I focused on 10 observations that I felt were critical to notice but were likely to be lost in the rush of so many epic scenes and interactions in the book. So I hope you enjoy my video on the topics you might have overlooked on your first read-through.

Please follow the links to the fantastic artists who allowed me to showcase their art in this and my other lore videos!

In this video, I showcase a selection of important details that you might have overlooked in your reading of the latest Stormlight Archive novel. Not only do I discuss these topics but I speculate about their broader implications in the Cosmere and my theories about Book 5 in the series. I draw on information from all the books in the Cosmere so expect some deep lore speculation.

A few points:

The Allomantic metals are not Invested. Their interaction with various manifestations of Investiture such as Allomancy and fabrials is due to some form of Spiritual properties they have (which apparently has to do with stuff in Dragonsteel), but they themselves are merely used as a key to draw Investiture from the Spiritual, not as sources of Investiture themselves.

Additionally, raysium is explicitly stated to be pretty rare (Raboniel was considering scouring the room for every drop of it), so I don't see why nicrosil being more common would be a point in its favor here. (I also don't see why it'd be difficult to Soulcast, as nothing we've seen indicates most metals should be very difficult.) The dagger in Oathbringer is stated to be made "of a bright golden metal, so light it was almost white", which would match with what we'd expect from Odium, while nicrosil (as far as I can tell) is a pretty generic metallic grey. So the daggers using nicrosil seems extremely unlikely, imo. (I was on the side of the spears being either chromium or nicrosil up until Raboniel explained the dagger, though.)

(This one's a minor nitpick) I don't think we'd ever seen any indication prior to RoW that another Shard was involved in the Threnody battle? That was completely new info, as far as I'm aware, but I could definitely be wrong here.

I imagine you'll be happy to learn that bronzepulses being Preservation's tone has recently been confirmed rather than just being speculation!

We know for a fact Vasher does not know how to use Stormlight as Breaths (apparently not even Hoid knows how to do this). I do suspect the tones are probably related to how he stays alive, though. Perhaps he's able to someone use them to take the Light in? Not sure.

(This one is entirely theorizing.) I would highly doubt Nightblood is anti-Investiture, as we know the smoke it leaks is Investiture it has absorbed, which wouldn't make sense if it was just blowing said Investiture up. (The raysium dagger leaks black smoke in Oathbringer as well, and leaves the wound blackened, which indicates to me that it's not a result of anti-Investiture annihilation, as the dagger in that case sucked Jezrien out, not sent anti-Light in there.)

(One more purely subjective response.) I can't see there being a ton of crossover with Scadrial in the back half, because Mistborn: Era 3 takes place around fifty to seventy years after the Stormlight Archive ends, but will be releasing in-between SA Books 5 and 6. So if either Era 3 or the SA back half has much crossover with Scadrial, Era 3 will likely spoil the back half in a very major way, which I don't see Brandon doing.

Besides that, great video! It's always great to have videos like this to catch people up who aren't as absurdly deep in this stuff as a lot of us are here, lol. Apologies for some of the nitpicking here, mostly just pointing out things that came to mind as I watched.

Edited by LewsTherinTelescope