Nightblood in the Cognitive Realm

We have this one

Questioner

Would Nightblood appear in the Cognitive Realm?

Brandon Sanderson

Nightblood will have a manifestation in the Cognitive Realm.

Questioner

…Would it appear as a sword, or because Nightblood appears to perceive itself as something else, would it appear as something else?

Brandon Sanderson

So, um, you will get a RAFO. *laughter* Because most things we're going to deal with we will have some scenes in the Cognitive Realm coming up, and you'll be better able to make guesses along these lines after you've read those.

JordanCon 2016 (April 23, 2016)

Working on the assumption that Azure's blade is the same general type of object/creature as Nightblood, he'd look like a sword even in the CR, as opposed to manifesting some "native" CR form the way spren do.  Unlike spren he was born/made as a fully independent Physical Being that doesnt need to be Pulled into the PCR to manifest a form the way Spren do. 

5 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Working on the assumption that Azure's blade is the same general type of object/creature as Nightblood, he'd look like a sword even in the CR, as opposed to manifesting some "native" CR form the way spren do.  Unlike spren he was born/made as a fully independent Physical Being that doesnt need to be Pulled into the PCR to manifest a form the way Spren do. 

But would he have a 'flame' in the CR while he is in the PR like peopel do, that's the question I think

26 minutes ago, Frustration said:

But would he have a 'flame' in the CR while he is in the PR like peopel do, that's the question I think

Fair point.  This is making a bit of a philosophic assumption,  but I think he (and anything "Living") that is a native PR creature would manifest a flame rather than a bead, same as a human, singer, larkin, Ryshadium, etc).

But I dont believe we have any WOB's on it, and I suspect that would be one of those philosophic questions (like the nature of the Beyond) that will get more of a permanent RAFO to allow for the fandom to chew over it on their own. 

• 5 weeks later...

Might be answered in Nightblood (the Warbreaker sequel, tentative name), might be answered in a future Stormlight book perhaps. If I had to guess, I'd say Nightblood would still just look like Nightblood: a sword. Why would he have a different perception of himself? He's not a spren, so he doesn't have to have a humanoid body in the Cognitive Realm.

I'd say that when in the cognitive realm nightblood would remain a sword, like Azure's blade, cause I don't know if it would have been very easy for vasher to bring nightblood to roshar if he turned into a human in the cognitive realm. While in the physical realm I think nightblood would appear as a flame to those in the cognitive realm, tho it would almost certainly be different in some way from most people's flames.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/11/2021 at 10:10 AM, Parzival said:

I'd say that when in the cognitive realm nightblood would remain a sword, like Azure's blade, cause I don't know if it would have been very easy for vasher to bring nightblood to roshar if he turned into a human in the cognitive realm. 

I agree with this. Nightblood=sword in the cognitive realm.

As for Nightblood's appearance to those in the cognitive realm while in the physical realm, I'm less sure. Nalthis has yet to be revealed in Shadesmar. If Nightblood was Rosharn, I'd guess glowing bead. Scadrial, glowing misty sword. Nalthis? What do would that be? Glowing Tears of Edgli (aka flower pedals)?

• 1 month later...

I don’t think it would be a bead/mist/whatever it is on Nalthis. I think the beads appear only for uninvested objects. People appear as candle flames on Roshar, and just straight up glow on Scadrial. It would probably be some sort of glowing but corrupted thing. I like the big black flame guess. (This is talking viewer in CR and NB is PR)

• 6 months later...
On 3/10/2021 at 10:00 AM, Quantus said:

But he does also view himself as being a human, this might have an effect on things