Those are some weird priorities Jasnah...

Isn't it a little weird how Jasnah will dismiss the visiual arts as frivolous and useless during Shallans application.
As Shallan later demonstrates in a world without cameras, beeing good at drawing can be very important for science.
Just a few senteces before she asks Shallan, if she's able to sing properly.

This flawed reasoning leads me to believe that she wasn't beeing reasonably demanding but just a little grouchy that day.

1 hour ago, Shaukan-son-Hasweth said:

Isn't it a little weird how Jasnah will dismiss the visiual arts as frivolous and useless during Shallans application.
As Shallan later demonstrates in a world without cameras, beeing good at drawing can be very important for science.
Just a few senteces before she asks Shallan, if she's able to sing properly.

This flawed reasoning leads me to believe that she wasn't beeing reasonably demanding but just a little grouchy that day.

It's important to remember that everyone is flawed and has biases. Jasnah is one of the smartest characters in the entire Cosmere, knowledgeable and powerful, skilled in many areas and committed to saving her people. But she also is a human, and despite what we like to believe none of us are entirely reasonable, even when - or especially when - we think we are. Visual arts aren't useful for her quest, therefore they have no value at all - how many times have we heard that sentiment against things we hold as essential and important? How many things now held to be indispensable in the modern world were dismissed by intelligent people in the past as being less than useless?

On 8.3.2021 at 11:34 AM, Ixthos said:

It's important to remember that everyone is flawed and has biases. Jasnah is one of the smartest characters in the entire Cosmere, knowledgeable and powerful, skilled in many areas and committed to saving her people. But she also is a human, and despite what we like to believe none of us are entirely reasonable, even when - or especially when - we think we are. Visual arts aren't useful for her quest, therefore they have no value at all - how many times have we heard that sentiment against things we hold as essential and important? How many things now held to be indispensable in the modern world were dismissed by intelligent people in the past as being less than useless?

This is exactly what I like about this.

When people critique Jansahs caracter they often argue that she is to perfect and to flawless. That she is written as just to resonable, and feels out of place.

I never understood that. because scenes like this show clearly where her flaws are. And the kind of flaws she has and how they are expressed is in my opinion done really well. To this day she is my favorite character.

20 minutes ago, Shaukan-son-Hasweth said:

This is exactly what I like about this.

When people critique Jansahs caracter they often argue that she is to perfect and to flawless. That she is written as just to resonable, and feels out of place.

I never understood that. because scenes like this show clearly where her flaws are. And the kind of flaws she has and how they are expressed is in my opinion done really well. To this day she is my favorite character.

Agreed :-) she is a great character

• 2 weeks later...