Feruchemy perpetual motion machines

Waffles

With the ability to store weight a feruchemist could, in theory, be used to create at least one, likely several dozen, form of perpetual motion machines.

The one I like to imagine is a seesaw with two feruchemists alternating their weights at intervals keeping the seesaw in constant motion.

It may be possible but I found a possible problem

from coppermind wiki:

"However, if the Feruchemist taps at a greater rate, then some of the attribute is lost, to facilitate the compression of the Investiture. This means that a Feruchemist who stores 50% of their strength for one hour might only be able to stay at 200% for 25 minutes, rather than a full half hour. The more a Feruchemist compresses the attribute, the more is lost."

21 minutes ago, Lesser spren said:

from coppermind wiki:

"However, if the Feruchemist taps at a greater rate, then some of the attribute is lost, to facilitate the compression of the Investiture. This means that a Feruchemist who stores 50% of their strength for one hour might only be able to stay at 200% for 25 minutes, rather than a full half hour. The more a Feruchemist compresses the attribute, the more is lost."

Came to say this.  While there's nothing universal stopping it (there are tons of examples of Magic bypassing normal Physics limits like Conservation), the presence of a known efficiency loss suggests it might have it's own similar limitations, especially since it's literally partially powered by the Universal Embodiment of Entropy...   That alone makes me think Feruchemy and Hemalurgy are both going to end up being harder than most to make such a machine.

Allomancy might be able to pull it off easier, but then you would be providing metal "fuel" and using it to connect to an outside power source, so at that point it's less Perpetual Motion and more just an Engine.

2 hours ago, Quantus said:

Allomancy might be able to pull it off easier, but then you would be providing metal "fuel" and using it to connect to an outside power source, so at that point it's less Perpetual Motion and more just an Engine.

Brandon appears to agree, since he describes compounding (which would otherwise bypass the efficiency question) as not being perpetual motion for that exact reason.

Oh yeah, I've been thinking about this for a long time.

There are no problems, unless Feruchemy works differently on the basis of where you are in a gravitational field.

This is how it would work.

You put two (or more) Skimmers in a ferris wheel type machine. Each of them stores as much weight as they can while they are going upwards, and taps at the optimal rate while coming down. This would create a torque around the wheel, and you could then easily connect the wheel to a generator to get essentially infinite energy.

• 1 month later...
On 5.3.2021 at 8:10 AM, theTruthshaper said:

You put two (or more) Skimmers in a ferris wheel type machine. Each of them stores as much weight as they can while they are going upwards, and taps at the optimal rate while coming down. This would create a torque around the wheel, and you could then easily connect the wheel to a generator to get essentially infinite energy.

One Ferring and a slightly underweight counterweight will also do the job. Or you use a spring.

On 4.03.2021 at 6:22 PM, Lesser spren said:

from coppermind wiki:

But if one Ferring stored whole his weight going upwards in "Ferring Wheel", second Ferring going down dont need even tap metalminds, he can just stop storing. So he doesnt lose any charge, because he doesnt need tap.

Edited by Bzhydack

29 minutes ago, Bzhydack said:

But if one Ferring stored whole his weight going upwards in "Ferring Wheel", second Ferring going down dont need even tap metalminds, he can just stop storing. So he doesnt lose any charge, because he doesnt need tap.

If he doesn't tap, eventually he cannot store anymore, because the storage volume will have been used up. It just does not matter how efficiently he taps.

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2021 at 6:15 AM, Waffles said:

With the ability to store weight a feruchemist could, in theory, be used to create at least one, likely several dozen, form of perpetual motion machines.

The one I like to imagine is a seesaw with two feruchemists alternating their weights at intervals keeping the seesaw in constant motion.

I think we’re forgetting that said feruchemists need food. Technically this perpetual motion machine still requires fuel.