Tension & Division Fused

honorblades

Lately I have been thinking about the two brands of Fused that we have not yet seen on screen - Tension & Division. I believe this is intentional by Brandon, as I don’t think we have seen any Knight Radiants use these powers either, but today I would like to discuss what each brand of Fused might look like and how they might utilize their powers. 

Tension 

I can imagine a Tension fused having long, tentacle-like protrusions from their arms that are quite floppy. They could whip this “tentacle” at any enemy, wrapping it around them, and then use Tension to stiffen it, trapping their foe. Another arm could be swung to the side, where the tentacle is stiffened in order to act like a blade. The Fused could then stab or slice at their trapped foe. I could also see this same method being applied, but instead of carapace, it is long hair that is used, like how the Nex-im uses hair as clothing-wrap when they reform their bodies. 
Alternatively, perhaps this brand of Fused wears specific clothing, like how the Heavenly Ones nearly always appear in long, flowing robes. I imagine this clothing to be cut into many strips, not unlike a mistcloak, than can then be stiffened and used to trap or attack enemies as I have described above. 

I would imagine that, especially if these Fused use hair or carapace with their surge, they would not “use up” much Voidlight, and are able to fight indefinitely. If clothing is used as a weapon, they would perhaps need to recharge periodically. 

The overall appearance of these “Ones of Tension” would really depend on if it is hair or carapace that is used with the surge, or perhaps not at all. I am not going to speculate too much on this, but I encourage others to do so. 

Division

I imagine Division Fused as having a sort of “heavy plate” version of carapace, such that it covers their entire body, leaving only a slit for the eyes, the palms of the hands, and the soles of the feet uncovered. They would sort of be opposite of the Makay-im in this way. The reasoning for this would be to protect them from the explosions and physical destruction that they could cause. Under this heavy carapace they are protected from shrapnel & partially from shockwaves. This thick carapace would not conduct electricity well, and would provide some measure of insulation from fire or other great heat. 

I am not sure what this type of Fused would do specifically with their surge, but I would guess it is like the Heavenly Ones, and that it is not very much changed from the version of the surge that the Knights Radiant can access. They can degrade and burn both living & nonliving material, they can almost certainly create fire and lightning, and may be able to cause small (or large) explosions. I expect that since applications of this surge are typically external, this brand of Fused would need to recharge Voidlight similarly to the Nex-im. 

What do you think about about these Fused we have yet to see? Fingers crossed they show up in Stormlight 5. 

I doubt the division fused can shoot lightning or fire in an Avatar-esk manner, but I would be curious to see if they can actually generate lightning. I believe that Mr.T’s dustbringer and the Kalak prelude are evidence enough of generating fire in some form. 

Edited by i’m in the details

Division is the power to split molecular bonds between atoms.

This would allow you to split air molecules (example: O2 into Singlet Oxygen, which is TERRIFYING). So something that LOOKS LIKE lightning may be possible. Maybe even more spectacular if the detail and precision of splitting solid matter bonds like wood is still applicable. "Lightning" around a corner, anyone?

As for the fire, that would be a side effect of the energy released by breaking the bonds, causing a temperature increase, potentially to the combustion point of the material you're Dividing through.

On 05/03/2021 at 4:30 AM, i’m in the details said:

I doubt the division fused can shoot lightning or fire in an Avatar-esk manner, but I would be curious to see if they can actually generate lightning. I believe that Mr.T’s dustbringer and the Kalak prelude are evidence enough of generating fire in some form. 

Also the fact the Reshi king can make flames as well as that Death Rattle

They are aflame. They burn. They bring the darkness when they come, and so all you can see is that their skin is aflame. Burn, burn, burn... 

2 minutes ago, Bejardin1250 said:

I haven’t read Dawnshard yet so correct me if I’m wrong

But is it possible that that is a propaganda thing

Like they made up an all powerful Reshi king that can make flames but he can’t actually do it

Lopen isn't surprised by learning he can make fire, and if they wanted to make up an all powerful king the gender change part would have been enough imo

17 hours ago, Bejardin1250 said:

I haven’t read Dawnshard yet so correct me if I’m wrong

But is it possible that that is a propaganda thing

Like they made up an all powerful Reshi king that can make flames but he can’t actually do it

Nah, they're just talking about him being Radiant.

“Before you take me down,” Talik said, “I have a . . . somewhat delicate question for you. Our king, who is one of my parents, has undergone some unusual physical changes lately. They have transformed him in dramatic ways, and at first we thought it was a gift of our god, as he was not born looking as he does now. We now realize this transformation is in relation to a spren he has been seeing. It is why he agreed to make this long trip.”

“Your king is Radiant!” Lopen said. “What kind?”

“He can make the very air seem to catch flame,” Talik said. “And sees a spren that burns through the inside of objects in curious treelike patterns.”

“Dustbringer,” Lopen said. “We’ve been hoping to find some more. Look, this is great. But don’t talk to the ones we already have, all right? It’s complicated, but we’d love to see you figure your own way, without anyone interfering.”