Can you Snap someone by Rioting them?

Necessary Eagle

Specifically wondering about Era-1 Snapping, since that's when the noble houses used to beat their children half to death (or all to death).

There was a discussion on this week's Sanderlanche Podcast about whether you could maybe emotionally scar kids instead, set up a fake murder scene or something, and I'm taking that thought even further: what if you just made the kid feel traumatized for about thirty seconds (or however long it takes?) Bring in a Rioter, have them zap the kid with a full-strength angst-beam, no one dies! Well, unless they have a heart condition. Still, gotta be a much lower mortality rate than punching them into Allomancy.

Is there a reason this wouldn't work?

Oversleep

Is it possible to Soothe/Riot so hard that the person Snaps due to extreme emotions caused by emotional Allomancy?

Brandon Sanderson

I hadn't considered, but yes, that should work.

Stormlight Three Update #5 (Nov. 21, 2016)

Apparently yes.  I would think (this is completely me, nothing to back it up,) that you would need a pretty strong Rioter to make it work.

22 minutes ago, Spren of Kindness said:

Apparently yes.  I would think (this is completely me, nothing to back it up,) that you would need a pretty strong Rioter to make it work.

I wonder how many people(if any) the Lord Ruler snapped with his constant soothing.

there probably had to be a couple if he was capable of soothing thousands at his level of power

Edited by Eternal Khol

All right then, folks, let's get the Riot Squad tuned up to "Extreme Fun Times"!

edit:

35 minutes ago, Spren of Kindness said:

Oversleep

Is it possible to Soothe/Riot so hard that the person Snaps due to extreme emotions caused by emotional Allomancy?

Brandon Sanderson

I hadn't considered, but yes, that should work.

Stormlight Three Update #5 (Nov. 21, 2016)

Odd that Soothing would work, though, I'd have thought dialing your emotions up to 11 would be required.

Edited by Necessary Eagle

3 minutes ago, Necessary Eagle said:

All right then, folks, let's get the Riot Squad tuned up to "Extreme Fun Times"!

edit:

Odd that Soothing would work, though, I'd have thought dialing your emotions up to 11 would be required.

We see the Lord Ruler Soothe people into extreme hopelessness and apathy.  That might do it.

The soother and rioter is also stuck with what they are working with.  The rioter cannot suppress other emotions below what their baseline is (so if someone's natural joy or content is strong enough, they might not be able to riot fear or whatever enough to raise to snapping level), and similarly, a soother can only suppress the emotions they don't want to get in the way (if the target doesn't have enough fear or anxiety naturally, this probably wouldn't work on them).  

Basically, I think Brandon is saying this is possible, and I can certainly see how soothing and rioting would help in the snapping process, but I think that it might not be a sure thing and only be applicable in certain cases (especially in Era 1).