The tower, the crown, and the spear

Jofwu

Wow, this is a pretty well-detailed post. Or so I assume, I'm new here. I personally think Dalinar is going to become Honor reborn, which my brother first suggested to me. I hadn't thought about the leadership vacuum that would create, but Kaladin is the perfect character to fill Dalinar's shoes.

The Bondsmiths seem to make the most natural heads of state from among the Orders, but perhaps that perception is just skewed by Dalinar being so boss. In terms of line of succession - Urithiru is a new state, they have no precedent and a brief opportunity to make the rules as they go. I don't see any scenario where Navani and the Sibling don't have the ultimate authority at least within the tower, but as for coordinating the Knights Radiant I can imagine it turning into a coalition of Orders rather than a single organisation with one leader.

Kaladin makes an excellent battlefield commander but he doesn't seem to have much if any interest or experience in politics or grand strategy. 

I count 15 lines in Kaladin's icon. There's 15 Shards now. Just saying.

2 hours ago, LewsTherinTelescope said:

Ah, good shout! You sent me off on another WoB dive, thanks. Here's an interesting related WoB:

Questioner

So, the sixteen Shards. Is it possible that there are more than sixteen, yet they do not know of them?

Brandon Sanderson

This would be possible but I'll just go ahead and tell you no there aren't. *laughter* That'll stop a lot of theorizing, though it is possible that Shards have been divided and things like this. And so you can call two subsets-- But it's kind of like there are twelve tribes of Israel. They became twelve other tribes of Israel. There were still twelve because two were the sons of one. Yeah, stuff like that.

Footnote: Brandon was referring to Ephraim and Manasseh, sons of Joseph. The land of Israel was divided among twelve tribes that were slightly different from the original twelve, as Joseph's was replaced by those of his sons and Levi's was not a landed tribe.
Skyward San Diego signing (Nov. 7, 2018)