Homeschooling Club

Homeschooling  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Are you homeschooled?

4 hours ago, AonDoor said:

"[Responsibility? Don't homeschoolers sit around and play Minecraft all day?]" -Public Schoolers

I have been guilty of procrastination in many classes, but my grades usually turn out fine. I like to consider myself a genius. A 35 on the English portion of the ACT does that to a person.

DANG that’s impressive. My highest ACT section was a 34 on Sci, then 31 on English 

On 11/3/2022 at 3:48 PM, AonDoor said:

I own a real sword because I earned it in a class I took about the American Civil War. It has INDIA engraved on it, and the metal sheath isn't quite the same shape as the sword (making it difficult to sheath and unsheath), but it's pretty cool anyway.

I was in Jordan a few years ago, and walked into a shop where a man made knives, swords, etc., for the Jordanian military.

I didn't realize I needed a sword, mind you, until I walked into his shop, and suddenly realized that I NEEDED a sword.

So I'm looking at the different kinds he has on display, and asked about the thicker-backed single-edged one in the back.

"Oh, no, mister, you don't want that sword."
"Why not?"
"Mister, that sword is for the (mime's cutting off a hand)... it is... it is for the executions".

"OH. Now I DEFINITELY want that one."

He made me one by hand - took him a couple of weeks - it has my family named etched in Arabic in acid along the blade. Also got a Hashemite Dagger for my wife and each of my kids' with their names on them in Arabic too. Thing hangs above my mantleplace :).

For purposes of the thread - I was public schooled while growing up, and, hated all of it except for a couple of extracurriculars. The wife was homeschooled until high school, and we've been homeschooling our kids for about 8 years, with Classical Conversations.

Edited by Lost Lobo

11 hours ago, Lost Lobo said:

I was in Jordan a few years ago, and walked into a shop where a man made knives, swords, etc., for the Jordanian military.

I didn't realize I needed a sword, mind you, until I walked into his shop, and suddenly realized that I NEEDED a sword.

So I'm looking at the different kinds he has on display, and asked about the thicker-backed single-edged one in the back.

"Oh, no, mister, you don't want that sword."
"Why not?"
"Mister, that sword is for the (mime's cutting off a hand)... it is... it is for the executions".

"OH. Now I DEFINITELY want that one."

He made me one by hand - took him a couple of weeks - it has my family named etched in Arabic in acid along the blade. Also got a Hashemite Dagger for my wife and each of my kids' with their names on them in Arabic too. Thing hangs above my mantleplace :).

For purposes of the thread - I was public schooled while growing up, and, hated all of it except for a couple of extracurriculars. The wife was homeschooled until high school, and we've been homeschooling our kids for about 8 years, with Classical Conversations.

YES! I love swords. That's a really cool story.

I've been homeschooled nearly my entire life, but I'm currently going to a public school.

It's nasty, but I have to gain social skills as some point, right? I mean, there are other reasons too, but that's a big one.

5 minutes ago, That1Cellist said:

YES! I love swords. That's a really cool story.

I've been homeschooled nearly my entire life, but I'm currently going to a public school.

It's nasty, but I have to gain social skills as some point, right? I mean, there are other reasons too, but that's a big one.

I'm the opposite; my parents are still thinking about homeschooling me next year (I'll be in grade 11).

1 minute ago, solarcat said:

I'm the opposite; my parents are still thinking about homeschooling me next year (I'll be in grade 11).

Good! It really depends on how you do it, but homeschooling can be an amazing thing if you get a curriculum you like and actually get your stuff done. Why are they considering this? I'm curious, if you feel like sharing.

43 minutes ago, That1Cellist said:

Good! It really depends on how you do it, but homeschooling can be an amazing thing if you get a curriculum you like and actually get your stuff done. Why are they considering this? I'm curious, if you feel like sharing.

Nah, it's really my parents who want me to be homeschooled for religious purposes, but it seems fun anyway. They're still thinking about whether my younger siblings and I should be homeschooled or not.

• 9 months later...

I was homeschooled... sort of. I was in a homeschooling group, so it was more like an unofficial private school in someone's living room. Very different then most people, but worked pretty well. 

On 3/20/2023 at 9:29 AM, solarcat said:

Nah, it's really my parents who want me to be homeschooled for religious purposes, but it seems fun anyway. They're still thinking about whether my younger siblings and I should be homeschooled or not.

If your parents do choose homeschooling I would recommend finding other homeschoolers in your area.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2024 at 10:56 AM, Brik_head said:

I was homeschooled... sort of. I was in a homeschooling group, so it was more like an unofficial private school in someone's living room. Very different then most people, but worked pretty well. 

Ayyy! That's about what my homeschool experience looked like, too! Well, except that my "group" was me and my cousins, and my aunt has 11 kids who need teaching. So, before I went off to the high school to take college classes in my junior year, I learned calculus with the older cousins from my aunt while my mom taught all the littles.