Homeschooling Club

Homeschooling  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Are you homeschooled?

22 hours ago, Potato's Wit said:

I have never touched a real bow in my life. Held a sword once, though.

I own a real sword because I earned it in a class I took about the American Civil War. It has INDIA engraved on it, and the metal sheath isn't quite the same shape as the sword (making it difficult to sheath and unsheath), but it's pretty cool anyway.

If you've been homeschooled and have been in public school, what are the things you least liked about public school and what you most liked about homeschool? I'm quite interested in the benefits of it all, rather then merely for my parents religious values. Do you get to learn more because you go at your own pace?

P.S. -as noted before my parents are thinking about homeschooling me, and I'm in highschool currently.

Edited by solarcat93

3 hours ago, solarcat93 said:

If you've been homeschooled and have been in public school, what are the things you least liked about public school and what you most liked about homeschool? I'm quite interested in the benefits of it all, rather then merely for my parents religious values. Do you get to learn more because you go at your own pace?

P.S. -as noted before my parents are thinking about homeschooling me, and I'm in highschool currently.

Public school is slow, boring, and doesn't teach you certain important things. Homeschool is great because you get to do all those things, learn the WHY, especially in math, and they aren't just stuffing information into your brain, so it stays for a week or so and then falls out again, you actually want to remember the information. (Example: I remember very little from my one year in public school, but I remember a little song about kingdom, phylum, class from kindergarten.) Plus, you get to do things more based on your interests. You don't just have to go along with the curriculum with no say in it at all. You can choose something that fits for you.

6 hours ago, Rabbit Unmade said:

Public school is slow, boring, and doesn't teach you certain important things. Homeschool is great because you get to do all those things, learn the WHY, especially in math, and they aren't just stuffing information into your brain, so it stays for a week or so and then falls out again, you actually want to remember the information. (Example: I remember very little from my one year in public school, but I remember a little song about kingdom, phylum, class from kindergarten.) Plus, you get to do things more based on your interests. You don't just have to go along with the curriculum with no say in it at all. You can choose something that fits for you.

Thanks rabbit!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2021 at 8:50 AM, Knight of Iron said:

So, mostly I technically taught myself with curriculum my mother spent a lot of time finding for me. Mostly she just stayed home and made sure we actually did school, instead of fooling around on Roblox or writing or playing other games or Legos or talking about book stuff ( all of which we got away with many times; oh yeah, my other two sisters were homeschooled to).

You just described what I do when my mom takes EVERYBODY else to a homeschool co-op. I have so much time and actually do very little school. I have my own co-op that I have tomorrow.

• 3 months later...

Homeschooling is a broad category. It really depends on how you do it. For some kids, homeschooling is really intense and difficult. There are lots of groups and co-ops you can be a part of. For others, the only difficulty is getting yourself to actually do school instead of getting distracted. Most homeschoolers I’ve met tend to be a little weird, though. We like it that way.

Past years, I’ve been homeschooled, self schooled, and unschooled (which is basically just being a kid and having fun in nature). I’m going full time public right now, and I can’t say I like it that much. A lot of it feels like busywork. Next year I’m just going for the fun classes and doing most of the core curriculum at home.

Spoiler

That moment when you meet another homeschooler who’s going to school part time and immediately become buddies ;)

4 hours ago, TheAlpha929 said:

The state I live in requires that we do a test every year to see if we are still at the level of public schoolers. I destroy it every year. So here I am, on the shard instead of doing it. I should probably do it, huh?

Yeah do it (insert obligatory Star Wars quote)! Then you have MORE time for the Shard when it’s through…..

I used to homeschool, I homeschooled thru high school and now I’m in college! Homeschooling is a heck of a lot of fun if you are willing to uphold the responsibility it requires. 

3 hours ago, Cash67 said:

Homeschooling is a heck of a lot of fun if you are willing to uphold the responsibility it requires. 

"[Responsibility? Don't homeschoolers sit around and play Minecraft all day?]" -Public Schoolers

I have been guilty of procrastination in many classes, but my grades usually turn out fine. I like to consider myself a genius. A 35 on the English portion of the ACT does that to a person.