Homeschooling Club

Homeschooling  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Are you homeschooled?

Just now, Ranryu said:

(Sorry if I'm butting in here)

Can I call myself a homeschooler even though I haven't been fully homeschooled since sixth grade? Being homeschooled is more fun, but at public school there are lots of people to study!

Sure! That counts. And studying people is fun, but people are also idiots, so you have to study a lot of idiotic things.

Just now, Rabbit Unmade said:

Because you still have to deal with the bad public school stuff. 

Yeah. You have less time to do fun homeschool stuff, and not enough time to make friends at school. Most people I know who did part time public school (myself included) ended up picking one or the other after middle school.

18 minutes ago, Ranryu said:

Yeah. You have less time to do fun homeschool stuff, and not enough time to make friends at school. Most people I know who did part time public school (myself included) ended up picking one or the other after middle school.

Makes sense. In homeschool you get to do really cool stuff for science, but public school has some pretty boring material.

5 minutes ago, Shining Silhouette said:

Like what?

Well, for one thing, we get to hatch caterpillars and stuff. We go find milkweed and bring home monarch caterpillars/eggs and watch it because I studied insects two years ago. I really want to do other kinds too, though.

Edited by Rabbit Unmade

I went to this homeschooler co-op for a year, and we got to blow up and electrify fruit and vegetables, open oysters, blow up pop bottles, and dissolve animals in acid to play with their bones like puzzles.

Public school science can be fun, once you get all the boring classes out of the way. 

The coolest public school science thing I have seen was when I went to an IB program information day and the chemistry students blew various things up just because they could. It is a hassle to sign all those safety forms and then barely do anything in the lab, though.

Just now, Ranryu said:

The coolest public school science thing I have seen was when I went to an IB program information day and the chemistry students blew various things up just because they could. It is a hassle to sign all those safety forms and then barely do anything in the lab, though.

Well, I don‘t think I‘ve ever blown anything up in school, wich is sad, but I‘m so glad we don‘t have forms. Sounds like a pain.

I haven't personally done anything more interesting than watch my lab partner burn himself with dry ice yet, but I'm hoping AP chemistry will be more interesting.

Have any of you ever had someone talk about how weird homeschoolers are without realizing that you're a homeschooler? It's always so funny!

6 minutes ago, Ranryu said:

I haven't personally done anything more interesting than watch my lab partner burn himself with dry ice yet, but I'm hoping AP chemistry will be more interesting.

Have any of you ever had someone talk about how weird homeschoolers are without realizing that you're a homeschooler? It's always so funny!

Was you friend your partner or was it fun to watch because you hated them?

No. I don‘t talk to enough people for that to happen, but it sounds hilarious!

Edited by Rabbit Unmade

He was just this random kid I don't really know, but when our teacher got out the dry ice, I just had this feeling, so I specifically reminded him to be careful. I think he did it just because I warned him not to. (Or maybe I'm paranoid) It wouldn't have been funny, except he did it right after his friend burned himself and gave him an additional warning. 

1 minute ago, Ranryu said:

He was just this random kid I don't really know, but when our teacher got out the dry ice, I just had this feeling, so I specifically reminded him to be careful. I think he did it just because I warned him not to. (Or maybe I'm paranoid) It wouldn't have been funny, except he did it right after his friend burned himself and gave him an additional warning. 

Well, that‘s just sad.

1 hour ago, Ranryu said:

I went to this homeschooler co-op for a year, and we got to blow up and electrify fruit and vegetables, open oysters, blow up pop bottles, and dissolve animals in acid to play with their bones like puzzles.

Public school science can be fun, once you get all the boring classes out of the way. 

Iiieeeee!!  We had to dissect piglets.  I didn't want to eat for a week.