Creating Roshar in Minecraft: Help Wanted!

Ataraxian Wist

My brother and I want to create Roshar in Minecraft, but we need a little help in the following areas:

1. Topographical Map: M will be using a world editor to do the heavy lifting, so we won't be building the landscape block by block. In order to do this, he needs a topographical map of Roshar. I don't really have the skills to make this myself, so help would be much appreciated.

2. Structures: Once the world is painted, we will need a sizable team of Minecraft players to actually build the structures found throughout Roshar. These will include the warcamps, cities like Kholinar, Urithiru, and Kharbranth, and even ships in port. Some of the building work will just be designing generic houses to copy with World Painter, and some will just be massive building projects. To do this ourselves would take years, so help would be MUCH appreciated.

The world download will be made available to all volunteers when completed, and probably to others, though not through this site.

I could help maybe a few times with building... though I'm not great at building. And I don't have the most time in the world. But I have always wanted to see this done, and I am a perfectionist so any builds I do won't be bad, though I might spend in inordinate amount of time on them--or not, as I have mentioned.

Basically I would love to help but not be depended upon, if that makes sense?

this might help

Spoiler

Ben McSweeney

Stuff like this [Minecraft Urithiru] is why I wanted to draw orthographic views of the tower-city. :) The dimensions on Shallan's page are rough, but they will line up.

Each tier has approximately 18 floors, each floor is roughly 15' (interior ceilings vary from 8' to 14' unless they're incorporating the next floor). Total tower height is just over 2700'

General Reddit 2020 (May 28, 2020)

4 minutes ago, Frustration said:

this might help

Hide contents

Ben McSweeney

Stuff like this [Minecraft Urithiru] is why I wanted to draw orthographic views of the tower-city. :) The dimensions on Shallan's page are rough, but they will line up.

Each tier has approximately 18 floors, each floor is roughly 15' (interior ceilings vary from 8' to 14' unless they're incorporating the next floor). Total tower height is just over 2700'

A to-scale Urithiru is three times the current height limit for Minecraft...

1 hour ago, Frustration said:

this might help

Reveal hidden contents

Ben McSweeney

This will definitely help, especially in the building stages.

@Knight of Iron I will be sure to let you know when we get to the building stage.

Edited by VanillaDCocoKing

9 hours ago, VanillaDCocoKing said:

The world download will be made available to all volunteers when completed, and probably to others, though not through this site.

Wouldn't it be more convenient to do it as Realms or other kind of server? If people download the world and build individually, how do you plan to merge their creations? I guess Worldpainter can do it, but what if two people try to build the same city?

Also, please, please do the End (or Nether) into Shadesmar!

If it's Java, I could help with building, depending on how often my MC will crash (it does that a lot), I'm not great at it, but not terrible either + I know the setting reasonably well (= read the books about 3 times and know how to use the wiki) + I know how fortifications work (= watch Shadiversity a lot).

I'd like to help do this, though given my circumstances, I'd probably be able to log on maybe once or twice total.

6 hours ago, Frustration said:

Intrestingly the Nether portals and the Oathgates had the same inspiration.

My brother would like to know what this inspiration is.

On 2/27/2021 at 1:44 AM, Eri said:

Wouldn't it be more convenient to do it as Realms or other kind of server? If people download the world and build individually, how do you plan to merge their creations? I guess Worldpainter can do it, but what if two people try to build the same city?

Also, please, please do the End (or Nether) into Shadesmar!

If it's Java, I could help with building, depending on how often my MC will crash (it does that a lot), I'm not great at it, but not terrible either + I know the setting reasonably well (= read the books about 3 times and know how to use the wiki) + I know how fortifications work (= watch Shadiversity a lot).

It will be a server, sorry for the unclarity. I meant that the world will also be downloadable by contributors once it's COMPLETE. However, we can't put the world onto our server until we paint the landscape, which will require that topographical map.

So, yeah. Once we have that part, I'll DM the IP to all of you who want to help build, but that's step 2.

Also, that is an excellent idea about Shadesmar.

Also also actually actually, MACHICOLAAAAAATIOOOOOONNNNSS!

38 minutes ago, VanillaDCocoKing said:

It will be a server, sorry for the unclarity. I meant that the world will also be downloadable by contributors once it's COMPLETE. However, we can't put the world onto our server until we paint the landscape, which will require that topographical map.

I don't knwo that we have one, I'll search the coppermind give me a sec

1 hour ago, VanillaDCocoKing said:

I'm pretty sure that none exist, no. That's why we needed help, because IDK how to go about creating it.

I'm looking into it, the closest real world comparison is Australia, so I'm going to base it on that.

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Gneorndin said:

Average height of a human is about 6 feet.

Each Minecraft block is 1/2 human tall, or about three feet.

So for each 15' floor you only need it 5 blocks tall. :)

5*18*10 is 900 which is much higher than even the 1.17 world height limit

With the recent resourcepack with the temporarily revoked new mapgen (src), it turns out that changing the world height limit with a resourcepack is possible. And I think it could go beyond the current max, only the mapgen would not build there. So with a resourcepack we could make fit Urithiru in the world.

Took interest in this a while back but wasn't sure about free time; as we get into summer over here I think I could help out. I'm not much of a builder but I could do some generic buildings, and maybe some stuff in cities to make them more than only a bunch of buildings. 

Edit: I have also moved the thread to the fanworks forum, as it is a Sanderson fan creation. 

On 2/26/2021 at 4:20 PM, VanillaDCocoKing said:

My brother and I want to create Roshar in Minecraft, but we need a little help in the following areas:

1. Topographical Map: M will be using a world editor to do the heavy lifting, so we won't be building the landscape block by block. In order to do this, he needs a topographical map of Roshar. I don't really have the skills to make this myself, so help would be much appreciated.

2. Structures: Once the world is painted, we will need a sizable team of Minecraft players to actually build the structures found throughout Roshar. These will include the warcamps, cities like Kholinar, Urithiru, and Kharbranth, and even ships in port. Some of the building work will just be designing generic houses to copy with World Painter, and some will just be massive building projects. To do this ourselves would take years, so help would be MUCH appreciated.

when will the world be available for us?

Edit: to add stuff I mean

Edited by Thaidakar the Ghostblood