What tricks can you use lurching for?

Lesser spren

Question

I feel the possiblities of burning iron have under utilized in mistborn compared to the tricks of other metals (ex. steel pushing letting you basicly fly, tin letting you detect poison etc.),  so I want to write a fan story where the main character is lucher. I need some more Ideas on how utilise the power, so far I have:

-seeing where metal objects are are Identifyimg which a which

-using it to pull your self to increase your speed while in a wheeled vehicle (or  pull on another vehicle?)

-fastening on improvised armour

-redirecting weapons in a predictable manner (catching swords, pulling bullets etc.)

-shoot things given the opponent is between you and the object you are pulling or the object is behind you and the target is in front of you and you move out of the way just in time,

-walk upsidedown on metal objects

-bring metal things, like weapons or valubles, right to you

-swing from metal object to metal obect like some kind of magnetic spider man?

-levitate in place if between to metal objects up high

-stop someone wearing in their tacks.

if someone has anymore useful applications please let me know

(side note, does anyone think there could be any way a lurcher or a coinshot could pull or push to specific parts of the body, like how they are able identify specific parts of metal objects and push them individually? like maybe if you split the soul with hemalurgy)

12 answers to this question

7 hours ago, Lesser spren said:

-walk upsidedown on metal objects

I have thought about this one. The requirement for this to work would be that the entire body is affected by the push. If just the core of your body, or something like that is affected then the blood will rush to your head. 
An example from Stormlight Archive(not RoW)

Spoiler

When Windrunners fly(fall), their entire body is affected. Blood pumps in the same direction that your body is going. If only the core of a Windrunner’s body was affected then when they flew they would die from speed/direction changes and from poor circulation.

2 hours ago, Chinkoln said:

I have thought about this one. The requirement for this to work would be that the entire body is affected by the push. If just the core of your body, or something like that is affected then the blood will rush to your head. 
An example from Stormlight Archive(not RoW)

Reveal hidden contents

When Windrunners fly(fall), their entire body is affected. Blood pumps in the same direction that your body is going. If only the core of a Windrunner’s body was affected then when they flew they would die from speed/direction changes and from poor circulation.

That shouldnt be all that much different than what coinshots (or especially full mistborn) experienced when flying around the city.  

Skilled Steelpushers (And so presumably Lurchers) can perceive and thus theoretically push/pull on targeted parts of a given metal object.  If they can achieve that they'd get all kinds of cool tricks.  With enough power and skill you could rip things apart by pulling each half to a different hand.  

Kyrroti

If I were burning iron, where would the line point to on a steel hula-hoop?

Brandon Sanderson

For something like that, it would depend on the Steelpusher's power. For some, it would just be pointing generally toward the center of the hoop--but for skilled Steelpushers, they'd be able to see softer lines pointing in all directions around the hoop.

Skyward Pre-Release AMA (Oct. 12, 2018)

On 2/26/2021 at 10:17 PM, Lesser spren said:

@Quantus where did you find practiced lurcher could pull torwards their hands instead of the "center of self"?

Looking at it, I'm making at least two logical leaps there (Thanks for calling me on it). 

We know Steel and Iron can push/pull on the Lines, so if they can see a line to a point they can place their force there.  The WOB I posted stated that a Coinshot (specifically) could learn/train enough to be able to see individual points on an object instead of the default center of gravity.  Now, assumption #1 is that this would also allow a coinshot to change their local target instead of being locked to their own center of gravity, letting them pull each side of the ring to a different hand.  And Assumption #2 is that all of those things would be mirrored with a Lurcher. If both are true, then a Lurcher should be able to pull two halves of a metal object in two different directions, letting them break more or less anything they could break with their hands (barring some situation and/or mechanical advantage).  

But now that you mention it, I could see other ways it could go.  For example, Maybe a Coinshot can be more versatile with the Target ONLY (and can only ever pull to their own center of gravity) while the Lurcher can only pull on the targets center but can pull toward any part of their own body (with training, of course). Or maybe what the WOB mentions is the actual limit of it, and both types of Misting can only alter the force point on the Target side, and not their own.  

We can do something like Ranete and use it for secret doors, switches, etc.  If your character is a very skilled Lurcher, who can reliably split iron lines of complex objects, they might be able to fire bullets in chambers and magazines of the enemy, like Wax in the prologue for BoM. Maybe something lockpicking and thieving related? Yanking purses, picking locks, that kind of thing.

On 2/26/2021 at 7:17 PM, Lesser spren said:

@Quantus where did you find practiced lurcher could pull torwards their hands instead of the "center of self"?

I'm currently re-reading TFE, it talks about Kelsier and Vin pulling metal to their hands all the time. Literally using the language "pulled [the metal] to [his/her] hand." Now, mechanically it's probably that the metal is going to their center-of-mass and they're just shifting slightly to catch it with their hand instead, but that's probably where @Quantus got the impression.

7 hours ago, The Technovore said:

I'm currently re-reading TFE, it talks about Kelsier and Vin pulling metal to their hands all the time. Literally using the language "pulled [the metal] to [his/her] hand." Now, mechanically it's probably that the metal is going to their center-of-mass and they're just shifting slightly to catch it with their hand instead, but that's probably where @Quantus got the impression.

Definitely contributed.  I really need to slot in a re-read of Era1, it's been way too long and all the details are blurring.

On 3/4/2021 at 7:26 AM, Lesser spren said:

I was thinking you could potentiallyredirect bullets and the like by orbiting them around you and flinging them in a different direction,

Problem with that is you won't be able to move fast enough to escape the bullet. I think at one point it's explained that lurchers often wear armor on their center of self so they can divert bullets and not, you know, die.

Just now, IAmTheStick said:

Problem with that is you won't be able to move fast enough to escape the bullet. I think at one point it's explained that lurchers often wear armor on their center of self so they can divert bullets and not, you know, die.

I'm saying if some of the bullets would already miss. You could pull the bullets you know would hit you anchor yourself in place, and pull on the bullets that already past you. It would have to be a practiced instinct rather than a concious choice, but perhaps through savantism?

Otherwise lurching could probably be useful in knife fights especially if the opponents don't know it, beyond simply pulling the kinves away you wait for them to get relativly close pull the knife and the assailant in a control manner and either diarm and apprehend them or kill them. if your subtle about it you could pull that trick on multiple people and send each of them to Ironeyes before the noticed your allomancy.

On 2/25/2021 at 10:44 PM, Lesser spren said:

swing from metal object to metal obect like some kind of magnetic spider man?

I could see this if they were a double iron or something. or if you flared your metals just right. Because it pulls you towards the metal, but if you jumped off a building and did the equivalent of a half lashing would that swing you? then its just the problem with getting the release right. But if you swing and then have nothing new to pull on, you can't save yourself like a coin shot can. You swing into the air and don't have another metal skyscraper you just die. So only really useful in industrial metal cities (ie useless off world)