Hogs and Minks

jamesbondsmith

Possibly not vego/vegan friendly discussion

We know most Rosharans call any bird a chicken, and they call knee-high ant-like things 'axehounds' despite having no dogs and therefore no hounds. Has it been established whether hogs (which presumably become what is referred to 'pork') and minks are what we would consider to be such?

After looking up the Rosharan flora/fauna section of the Coppermind, it seems clear that hogs and minks are mammalian. I had some fun thinking of what invertebrates could be referred to as 'hog', but it did clear some things up.

Partly this came about from imagining the food being served at feasts. I was wondering 'should I imagine a braised pork belly for this'? Could 'hog' refer to anything approaching human sized, or is it actually a pig? It'd be interesting if they just have cows and sheep wandering around but it's an alien enough world that we just don't notice. 

Similarly, are minks just the little weasel/ferret type animals we have? I find myself wondering if anything small (possibly predatory) like a house cat could be referred to as a mink. I find it funny to think that they do have small dogs but just don't call them that, although I'm sure Wit wouldn't have made those cracks about not recognising hounds if there were some running around. Maybe it would be like someone used to all canines being wolves being transported to our time and seeing a chihuahua or a pug for the first time.

Hogs and minks are identical to the species we have on Earth:

EHyde

On Roshar, do they have an equivalent for cats, like how they have axehounds instead of dogs?

Brandon Sanderson

No, they do not. Though there are various domesticated animals fulfilling a similar role across the planet. (Domesticated minks and pigs come to mind.)

Goodreads: Ask the Author Q&A (Aug. 13, 2014)

Questioner

Where do the people in the Stormlight Archive get all their leather?

Brandon Sanderson

They have great farms of pigs. You notice, leather is usually called hogshide, but it’s all hog leather.

Boskone 54 (Feb. 17, 2017)

Edited by Weltall

6 minutes ago, Bejardin1250 said:

Are Ryshadium and regular horses also from ashyn

Regular yes, and horses are one of the more prominent Shin exports (by reputation if not by volume).

Ryshadium are strange, with lots of RAFO.  My best guess is that they are a more recent development, but no clue if that's a natural evolution or not.  We do know that they are a genetically distinct subspecies of horse has started to form a spren Bond the way so many native species do. 

46 minutes ago, Weltall said:

Hogs and minks are identical to the species we have on Earth:

Thanks for that, it was doing my head in. Now I can go full Binging with Babish on this series. :P

How do I search Arcanum? I've been having real trouble with trying to find a WOB on something without getting a bajillion results that don't relate to what I want.

Also, is there a way I can confine searches to a specific forum on the Shard? I'll try to see if others have commented on a certain character and I get gazillions of hits from the roleplay forums or something.

55 minutes ago, jamesbondsmith said:

Thanks for that, it was doing my head in. Now I can go full Binging with Babish on this series. :P

How do I search Arcanum? I've been having real trouble with trying to find a WOB on something without getting a bajillion results that don't relate to what I want.

Also, is there a way I can confine searches to a specific forum on the Shard? I'll try to see if others have commented on a certain character and I get gazillions of hits from the roleplay forums or something.

For Arcanum searches type the words you want with '+' instead of a space.

For Shard searches, it should be on the left hand side there is a list of all forums, and there is also a setting for content tittles only.

In addition to using qualifies like &/+ to narrow down results (for example, 'Shard Intent' gives 1277 results while 'Shard+Intent gives 83) you can also use the Tags to try and focus things even further. Those won't always help since not every WoB is tagged with every relevant option but they can really cut down on the results if you're got something very specific you're trying to find, and if you still don't find what you want you can drop the tag(s) and try again.

Edited by Weltall