The big authors of your country

Kutica_Junior

Hello everyone, I hope that you are well.

A little fun fact about me. I want to travel and as a big bookworm, I want to buy books as souvenirs. Therefore what are some classics, must-read authors from your country?

I will start first. I come from Croatia. The authors and the books that shaped Croatian literature history are:

(I am not sure how is literature divided in other countries, but in Croatia, we have poetry (''songs''), drama (stories written as in ancient Greece), and prose/epic/? (novels, short story, everything with narrator), so am gonna listed as that but feel free to do however you want)

(I am very well aware of the language difference, but please do not be bothered by that)

POETRY:

-Slivije Strahimir Kranjčević ( the all mighty who writes about integrity of the church, country, and our lives)

-Tin Ujević

-Dragutin Tadijanović

-Dobriša Cesarić 

-Janko Polić Kamov

DRAMA:

-Marin Držić

-Marko Marulić

-Ivan Brešan

PROSE/EPIC/ STORYS WITH NARRATOR:

-basically everything from August Šenoa, especially Zlatarovo zlato, Prijan Lovro

-Marija Jurić Zagorka, Republikanci ( THE QUEEN)

-Ivana Brlić Mažuranić, Čudnovate zgode šegrta Hlapića

- Mate Lovrak

-Vjenceslav Novak

-Ljudevit Gaj ( the man who made the Croatian language so complicated)

If some is also from Croatia please add more. Be aware that this is my opinion, and not some academic view.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Have a nice day :)

Another Croatian here!

@Kutica_Junior has already listed a lot of my favourite authors, but here are a few more worth noting:

Miro Gavran (modern)

Pavao Pavlićić (modern)

Vladimir Nazor (old)

Miroslav Krleža (old)

Nada Mihaljević (I only read her novel Gospodar šećera (The master of sugar) but it is SO GOOD) (modern)

Ivan Gundulić (very old)

Mato Lovrak (this guy made our whole childhoods) (old-ish)

Luko Paljetak (modern)

Vesna Parun (modern)

Gustav Krklec (old-ish)

That's all I can think of right now, hope it made a nice contribution.

On 2/25/2021 at 8:24 AM, BreezeCauthon said:

In America? We have F. Scott Fitzgerald, and...

Y'know, come to think of it, mostly we just borrow British authors.

Excuuuuuse me? We got John Steinbeck, William Faulkner, Ernest Hemingway, James Baldwin, Sinclair Lewis, Stephen Crane...

And that's not including authors that have had profound effects on genre literature... despite being terrible writers themselves! Like H P Lovecraft, Stephen King... seriously, how could you forget Stephen King?! (Who probably fits best the OP's original question. I can't think of many American authors that approach King's decades long popularity)

There's also Michael Crichton, Herman Melville, Nathanial Hawthorne, Ray Bradbury, Philip K Dick, Ursula K Leguin, on and on and on! 

6 hours ago, Orlionra said:

Excuuuuuse me? We got John Steinbeck, William Faulkner, Ernest Hemingway, James Baldwin, Sinclair Lewis, Stephen Crane...

And that's not including authors that have had profound effects on genre literature... despite being terrible writers themselves! Like H P Lovecraft, Stephen King... seriously, how could you forget Stephen King?! (Who probably fits best the OP's original question. I can't think of many American authors that approach King's decades long popularity)

There's also Michael Crichton, Herman Melville, Nathanial Hawthorne, Ray Bradbury, Philip K Dick, Ursula K Leguin, on and on and on! 

Yeah, I was being a bit hyperbolic :-) 

You can add Jack London and Robert Jordan to that list as well.