How will the honour spren from Rhythm of War be important in book 5?

Hoid'sBreath

In Rhythm of War Shallan and Adolin went to Shadesmar to try and convince the honour spren to bond with more knights. To me this all felt like a bit of a side quest and not super important as convincing the honour spren to help them didn't have any relevance to the main plot of Rhythm of War in the end. So I'm hoping that the honour spren will somehow be helpful in Stormlight 5. But how? In ten days will the honour spren somehow bond with hundreds of potential wind runners and will they all save the day? Or will it just be mentioned as now that they had convinced the honour spren to join them there were more and more wind runners joining their ranks each day?

I think that as a result of the trip, something big will definitely happen with the deadeyes and they'll likely be revived, adding potentially thousands of new Radiants. Even though the benefit from the direct goal of the trip won't be that enormous since many honorspren aren't willing to bond even though it's allowed, the consequences will be enormous. Because spren will soon start to actually die in battle, reinforcements will be vital.

It’s much much harder to kill a spren then you would think

The flying spren has to stand in one place for like 5 minutes casually wait while it’s being stabed

the only reason phendorra was killed was b/c she wasn’t expecting it.  Didn’t know about A-light  

1 minute ago, Bejardin1250 said:

The flying spren has to stand in one place for like 5 minutes casually wait while it’s being stabed

the only reason phendorra was killed was b/c she wasn’t expecting it.  Didn’t know about A-light  

And she was big, if she was Syl's size she would have been much harder to stab.

• 1 month later...

Well, the main point of that trip, both plot-wise in-book and narratively, was to address the schism between humanity & spren caused by the Day of Recreance, which was successfully addressed. Going forwards, it might mean healing Deadeyes and getting more Knights Radiant in general, not just Windrunners, as one of the reasons why they chose to talk to the Honorspren was because of their reach & influence amongst the other spren, as well as their centralization.

5 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Well, the main point of that trip, both plot-wise in-book and narratively, was to address the schism between humanity & spren caused by the Day of Recreance, which was successfully addressed. Going forwards, it might mean healing Deadeyes and getting more Knights Radiant in general, not just Windrunners, as one of the reasons why they chose to talk to the Honorspren was because of their reach & influence amongst the other spren, as well as their centralization.

1. They learned something major about the Recreance
  2. It brought a worldhopper from Scadrial to a place where traders from Scadrial stop
  3. It got us Sixteen
  4. It really got Adolin the short end. He just does not know it. With the war ending in ten days his mission has become moot.
  5. Kalak was introduced

I'd say that the Honorspren are for the second arc and the fuses for Book 5 got lit in the secondary issues.

Brandon Sanderson is a twisty and devious narrator.

I'd also like to point out that we've seen neither hide nor hair of many of the seemingly very important Fused we saw in Oathbringer. Hnanan who gave Moash the title Vyre, Hariel who took over Demid's body (imagine the interactions we could've had between him & Venli), Turash who was at the Battle of Thaylen City, whom Odium called "old friend", and who had the confidence to question Odium. We didn't see the Fused with whom Hoid danced a long time ago, her name was Vatwha, iirc. We didn't see the Thunderclast Kai-Garnis (imagine their reaction to Yushah not returning after getting Nightblood-ed. It would've been interesting to see team Odium's reaction to Nightblood a bit more)

So, I'd say it's very possible, even likely, that the Honorspren characters themselves might not become plot relevant at all in the future books.

2 hours ago, Oltux72 said:
  1. They learned something major about the Recreance
  2. It brought a worldhopper from Scadrial to a place where traders from Scadrial stop
  3. It got us Sixteen
  4. It really got Adolin the short end. He just does not know it. With the war ending in ten days his mission has become moot.
  5. Kalak was introduced

I'd say that the Honorspren are for the second arc and the fuses for Book 5 got lit in the secondary issues.

Brandon Sanderson is a twisty and devious narrator.

Adolin's mission might not be as pointless as it seems. Now that Fused can perma-kill spren, other radiant spren may be able to swoop in and bond the former radiants right away and perhaps not lose their oath level. I don't know how that will work, we've not seen another spren come in to bond right away. The Testament - Pattern situation developed years apart and we don't really understand that yet, plus Testament wasn't vaporized forever. 

You're right the 10-day conceit is a potential problem. Most spren have been adamantly opposed to bonding humans for thousands of years. It's a bit of a stretch for ton of them to change their thousands year old position on bonding within 2 Rosharan weeks. It will "make sense" because they are cognitive realm beings and Adolin/Maya changed their minds, but it may feel too fast. 

I suspect there will be a lot of "well, that was quick" changes of heart and such with the most of the book likely taking place in 10 days. 

Kalak was super fun, surprisingly funny. I think he's how Adolin and Shallan will get back to the main group quickly. I think he has his Honorblade. He was "out on patrol" for months when Shallan and Adolin first got into Lasting Integrity. He was probably checking in with Nale and Ishar (the only sane one ;)) and we know Ishar took his blade back recently and Nale took his back some time ago. If Ishar is correct and one or more Unmade has taken over Shinover, Kalak may have taken his blade back to get it out of there. He has the transportation surge and knows a lot more about how to use that surge than any current radiant. He can probably portal them back to Dalinar.

Looking forward to Kalak bumping into a guy who is named after him who he helped enslave, Kaladin. Kalak, as Restares, talked Amaram into taking the plate and blade for himself leading to Kaladin's enslavement. Awkward. 

On 25/02/2021 at 1:10 AM, Bejardin1250 said:

Quick question just to clarify something, but is this really the only way?

I mean yes that's how Phendorana was killed but wouldn't it be possible to simply stab a KR with a Anti-Stormlight infused weapon and the Anti Stormlight would then harm the spren through the bond they share with their KR? I may have misinterpreted something but I thought that's what was implied when Raboniel requested a unconscious KR be brought to her so she can test the Anti-Stormlight she developed with the help of Navani's research. Raboniel confirms that the Anti-Stormlight is a success so I thought that that's what was implied, I may have misunderstood this part though so I'm mostly asking for clarification.

7 hours ago, TheHidelSubldies said:

Quick question just to clarify something, but is this really the only way?

I mean yes that's how Phendorana was killed but wouldn't it be possible to simply stab a KR with a Anti-Stormlight infused weapon and the Anti Stormlight would then harm the spren through the bond they share with their KR? I may have misinterpreted something but I thought that's what was implied when Raboniel requested a unconscious KR be brought to her so she can test the Anti-Stormlight she developed with the help of Navani's research. Raboniel confirms that the Anti-Stormlight is a success so I thought that that's what was implied, I may have misunderstood this part though so I'm mostly asking for clarification.

I have no clue. Very good point.

but how would Raboniel know the Spren was affected. If she can see the Sprens reaction she can also stab it since that Spren will be very “drowsy” due to the suppression.

8 hours ago, Bejardin1250 said:

I have no clue. Very good point.

but how would Raboniel know the Spren was affected. If she can see the Sprens reaction she can also stab it since that Spren will be very “drowsy” due to the suppression.

Been wondering about that myself.

Wouldn't the KR in question start to wake up briefly after getting stabbed? Since the Tower defences are keeping them unconscious due to their bond with their spren. If we assume that after getting stabbed and the spren and bond are destroyed, the KR would start waking up if there wasn't some other type of visual queue. Besides, if we assume that stabbing the spren directly is the only way of destroying it, how did Raboniel stab that radiant spren in question when the Tower defences were still active and thus making it unable to properly manifest in the physical realm in the first place?