Stormlight Throwback

Bejarden

I’m in my reread of way of kings and these questions are bothering me I know they have probably been answered a million times but one more would be appreciated 

Why does szeth call his honorblade a shardblade ( from WoR we know he knows of the Honorblades)

Why does Kalak say honorblade are stronger than shardblades: their not ( its radiant blades)

2 hours ago, Bejardin1250 said:

Why does szeth call his honorblade a shardblade ( from WoR we know he knows of the Honorblades)

As mentioned, Shardblade can be used as a generic term for any heavily-Invested sword in the Cosmere. Despite being made using a completely different magic system, Nightblood is considered a Shardblade.

Questioner

You've said that Shardblades can be made in other magic systems. So if it's not like a Shardblade from Roshar, what makes it a Shardblade?

Brandon Sanderson

The "Shard" refers to the heavy Investiture of a Shard of Adonalsium. Most of what you’ll see will see are the Roshar ones, but it is technically possible to make them out of the other magic systems. It's going to be a heavily invested magical weapon, is kind of how I would define it.

Calamity Austin signing (Feb. 25, 2016)

Why does Kalak say honorblade are stronger than shardblades: their not ( its radiant blades)

To add to what was already said, we know that in the past the Heralds had direct access to Honor's Investiture, which means that despite the shallower bond (and reduced healing ability most of the Heralds had to live with as a result) they had access to raw power that no Radiant can match.

Steeldancer

The Heralds, back before Honor died, were they directly powered by Honor?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. You’ll find out more about that, but the Shardblades [pretty sure he means Honorblades here] were pieces of Honor’s soul that he gave them and direct access to his essence.

Steeldancer

Like Vin and Elend?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, a little like that. That’s why Honorblades don’t work like Shardblades do, like Radiants do.

Steeldancer

The second part of the question is, what would happen if they were directly powered by Honor and they were holding Nightblood?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO

Boskone 54 (Feb. 17, 2017)

WindRunner88 (paraphrased)

So far during The Stormlight Archive we've seen that the spren bond appears to have some distinct advantages (i.e. armor, more efficient Stormlight consumption, access to a variety of weapons) over what Tanavast via the Oathpact provided the Heralds. With the exception of Nale, and the fact that the Heralds had no need for Stormlight, can you please tell me one way in which a Herald had a distinct advantage over a level 5 Radiant of their corresponding  order?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Rebirth. *pause* The Heralds had access to raw levels of power that no Radiant could obtain.

BookCon 2018 (June 1, 2018)

They also don't have the limitation of Nahel-granted surgebinding imposed on them by the ideals, which could be situationally advantageous. Lastly there's just the whole mystique of 'These are holy swords made from the very body of our God' that Kalak might have had in mind.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2021 at 9:31 PM, Weltall said:

They also don't have the limitation of Nahel-granted surgebinding imposed on them by the ideals, which could be situationally advantageous.

It's not just situationally advantageous but a massive benefit. Honorblades are unkeyed, so literally anyone could pick one up and have access to the full scope of surges. Like a random person could pick up Chana's blade and probably blow up a city if they had access to enough investiture.

They may also because to do some tricks that Nahal-bound surges don't. I know the arcanum talks about Honor putting limits on the surges but it's not clear if that's for all Surges in effect on Roshar or just those granted by the Nahal bond. 

I think I'd rather have a living Sprenblade that 1) grants me instantaneous healing 2) telepathically anticipates my needs and turns into whatever shape I need at the speed of thought and 3) is an intelligent agent who can invisibly scout, communicate, and help me solve problems, rather than an Honorblade that 1) expends Investiture at a much greater rate and 2) does some unspecified things I don't know how to use or really even understand.  I'm not Ishar.  ;-)