Would Marsh be going a bit mad in Era 2+ from language shift?

robardin

2 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

As I noted earlier in this chat: Marsh likes being annoyed by it. It gives him something to grumble about to Kell.

That raises a point. Do they sometimes scare people? Like walk into a bar with a hood on and when somebody says "I'll be damned if that is not true" Marsh drops his hood and says "You called?".

8 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

That raises a point. Do they sometimes scare people? Like walk into a bar with a hood on and when somebody says "I'll be damned if that is not true" Marsh drops his hood and says "You called?".

Considering it is canon that he likes skulking around as Death... Yes, I’d say so.

Kell is actually less likely to pull this, since the conman in him objects to not playing the role and the part of him that wants to live up to Leras’ trust feels it wouldn’t be fair to his followers. Pathians and Sliverists are fair game though.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually wouldn't be surprised if TLR did try to freeze language change, and possibly even succeeded to some degree, at least among nobles in the Inner Dominances. By controlling the education system, he could create a standard for "formal, proper" speech, from which "common" dialect might diverge sharply.

We don't, IIRC, know much about dialect differences within the Final Empire. Spook's dialect is called "Eastern street slang", so some differences exist.

We never see the Outer Dominances in Era 1 at all (except Kelsier walking through the Cognitive version after they're already well into Ruin's destruction). They might be more divergent.

I'd kind of expect more difference between skaa and noble dialect in Luthadel, but maybe it's just not focused on in the books since all the viewpoint characters are able to do both.

32 minutes ago, cometaryorbit said:

I actually wouldn't be surprised if TLR did try to freeze language change, and possibly even succeeded to some degree, at least among nobles in the Inner Dominances. By controlling the education system, he could create a standard for "formal, proper" speech, from which "common" dialect might diverge sharply.

We don't, IIRC, know much about dialect differences within the Final Empire. Spook's dialect is called "Eastern street slang", so some differences exist.

We never see the Outer Dominances in Era 1 at all (except Kelsier walking through the Cognitive version after they're already well into Ruin's destruction). They might be more divergent.

I'd kind of expect more difference between skaa and noble dialect in Luthadel, but maybe it's just not focused on in the books since all the viewpoint characters are able to do both.

They are more divergent per TEM.

30 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Yup! We get to see a bit of the Far Western Dominance and Kelsier mentions that he has a Luthadel accent.

Ok, the Luthadel accent is definitely good information.

I think that's technically still Inner Dominances though - as is the Conventical of Seran in Well of Ascension. Aren't the Outer Dominances Crescent, Farmost, Remote, Terris, and Southern Islands? I don't think we ever actually get to Terris in any of the Era 1 stories (Vin and Elend turn back in WoA...)

16 minutes ago, cometaryorbit said:

Ok, the Luthadel accent is definitely good information.

I think that's technically still Inner Dominances though - as is the Conventical of Seran in Well of Ascension. Aren't the Outer Dominances Crescent, Farmost, Remote, Terris, and Southern Islands? I don't think we ever actually get to Terris in any of the Era 1 stories (Vin and Elend turn back in WoA...)

Where Shezler is is pretty much on the border, from what Kell indicates.