5 posts in this topic

Ever since I read the Sja-Anat interlude, a quote has stuck with me.

Thank you, Mother, he said. Thank you for my eyes.

(Rhythm of War, Interlude-2, p. 342) 

That quote was said by Tumi and I find it so fascinating due to certain implications.

We know Sja-Anat Englightens spren through mechanics we don't know but seeing it described as a giving of eyes by one of her children is interesting, to say the least.

Is this giving of eyes metaphorical, the way shedding light onto something makes you see the truth of the object? Perhaps it's more literal--deadeyes are described as basically lacking eyes after all, and giving that most symbolic part back to a deadeye must mean a lot to said deadeye.

I'm surprised no one has theorized about this quote and I want to hear your thoughts on the quote.

Could Sja-Anat Enlighten a deadeye back to "life"?

15 minutes ago, Hessi's Ward said:

That quote was said by Tumi and I find it so fascinating due to certain implications.

We know Sja-Anat Englightens spren through mechanics we don't know but seeing it described as a giving of eyes by one of her children is interesting, to say the least.

Is this giving of eyes metaphorical, the way shedding light onto something makes you see the truth of the object? Perhaps it's more literal--deadeyes are described as basically lacking eyes after all, and giving that most symbolic part back to a deadeye must mean a lot to said deadeye.

I'm surprised no one has theorized about this quote and I want to hear your thoughts on the quote.

I feel like she's replacing/filling the hole in a Deadeye's spiritweb with Odium's investiture in order to Enlighten them... Restoring what was taken by B-A-M's imprisonment causing Deadeyes to even be possible to begin with.

15 minutes ago, Hessi's Ward said:

This has certainly been discussed.  Here's one recent topic:

I find the evidence - including that quote, nice catch - quite compelling that at least some of the spren who have been Enlightened may have been deadeyes, although I'm curious how they might have communicated their consent.

1 minute ago, AquaRegia said:

This has certainly been discussed. 

Thanks for the link! Time to go down deeper into the hole!

8 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

I feel like she's replacing/filling the hole in a Deadeye's spiritweb with Odium's investiture in order to Enlighten them... Restoring what was taken by B-A-M's imprisonment causing Deadeyes to even be possible to begin with.

This is exactly what I think happens to at least some of the Enlightened spren.

On 2/22/2021 at 11:56 AM, Hessi's Ward said:

I think it’s that she is giving Tumi a new perspective on everything. The way he says it is weird because of his language trends, like how the inkspren talk.