Archer

3 hours ago, Experience said:

Yes, I know it's really bad reasoning, but I really don't know what to think rn. 

Ok, here's something to go off of. I know I'm not elim, and I'm pretty sure gears is village. So, Unkown Order. (Matrim)

EDIT: Also, all villagers, you have to have to have to get a vote in this turn. If you don't then we automatically lose because elims just put three votes on someone right before rollover. So vote!

2 hours ago, Gears said:

My choices are as follows: Vote Order, vote Experience. I do not have the benefit of being the last one, certainty inherent in the board. I just looked at the vote counts, and... and I want to vote Matrim. I really do. But I can't. We need the tie/majority. Matrim is pushing the Experience X. I feel the need to vote Order. It's either Matrim/Order/someone or Experience/someone/someone. Spec/dead, if my decision has just lost us the game, then I lament poor decision making and paranoia's claws. In addition, we only had a 1/8 chance at winning with perfect knowledge of every elim. 

Dreamtime slips through the fingers like sand in the sea, sinking down beneath the waves in a scattering of diamond as the pressure turns the stone to quasi and falling through the air on broken wings without feathers to catch the air and bleed bleed bleed bleed from the eyes as the pain spikes and the needles settle into the flesh properly while the ship arcs through the water and claims its due.

"You're wrong, you know."
"I know."
"Then why do you persist?"
"Because I'm wrong about the other one too."
"But that doesn't work."
"Yes, it does."
"No. It has to be one of them."
"Matrim/TJ/Ruby."
"Well, true, but what are the odds?"
"Just as likely as every other team."
"Lamentations."
"Remember, we can't use that word as a replacement for curse words anymore."
"Oh right. To Ash, whenever they read the minutes: How dare you."
"Alternative: Curses."
"But that's dull."
"What else do we have?"
"The internet is not helpful."
"Alas. Does that work?"
"It doesn't have that keen edge of melodrama."
"Does it need a keen edge of melodrama?"
"Of course it does! That's half of the entire Gears persona!"
"What's the other half?"
"Scattered bits of logic, paranoia, fear, panic, indecision, screaming, eyes, needles, wide grins, and a few dozen other things."
"Makes sense."
"So this is the end?"
"Yes. This is the end."
"It was nice to talk to you."
"To you as well. Perhaps we should do this again some time."
"No, when it's not in character, it's considered weird."
"Social construct!"
"To arms, then?"
"Of course! I hereby declare war on the notion of normality."
"Fine, I'll get my sword."
"Do we even have swords?"
"This is a fantasy world. We can steal one from the RP character."
"Ah yes. Did anyone ever figure out who Seba was?"
"I don't think so. I would have thought Fate/stay night was more popular with a group of nerds."
"We aren't indicative of the nerd population."
"True, true."
"I've still got the bow, so you can steal their sword."
"Sword acquired. Now, to war!"
"Do not go gentle into that good night."
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

I see two elims piling on someone. Honestly though, it's between me and Exp, the elims are clearly going for me, so village should go for Exp.

Everyone surrounded Loom and loomed upon him.

"Tell me your secret!"

"But it wouldn't a secret anymore"

"We don't care! Did you see us hiding it? We were openly talking about butterflies!"

"But I like to keep my secret!"

"Tell us or else-"

"Okay okay got it, dragon bait. Don't want that, okay!"

"Well...?"

"Well... my secret is..."

"Is....?"

Loom raised the crossbow he was hiding and aimed.

"Oh it's just.."

pew pew

QF51: Aftermath: Notes

“Alright, everyone take a knee. This is getting serious.”

“Master Johnson, when-”

“Wait a minute! That’s not Master Johnson. He died in the prologue!”

“That’s right! But if you’re not Master Johnson… who are you??”

“Ha. Ha ha. Ha HA HA HA HA. You were all so eager to follow a commanding voice in the mist. Like cathartes aura following a carnivorous dragon to feast on the carrion left over from their bi-weekly hunt when their seasonal terrain aligns-”

“Just tell us who you are!”

“Isn’t it obvious? You’ve suspected me for so long,” said Loom. 

“Gasp!”

“That’s right! For days, I’ve been eating nothing but garlic to maintain this charade. I led us to this waterfall so I could finally have a shower.”

“We can stop you! It’s five to one.”

“Mm.”

“That’s wrong! I would know because I am the best at counting! Hiya!”

“What are you doing, piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-!”

“You’re the one who’s been pushing people off cliffs! Quick, help me stop Loom and pikS! You, random bystander, why won’t you help us?”

“Oh, I’m with them. Sorry.”

“Double gasp! Hey, Loom, where'd you get that crossboooooo-!”

“I believe we have a majority now. Shall we vote about what we do next?”

“I like voting.”

“Me too.”

“All in favour of dissolving this hunting party and donating the group’s funds to a charitable foundation dedicated to the study and appreciation of dragons?”

“Aye!”

“Aye!”

“Eh.”

“Then it’s settled. Note that down in the minutes, then let’s go wash our hands of this whole business. Literally and metaphorically!”

“Huzzah!”

“The view from up here really is lovely. It’s no wonder that dragons love to fly.”

“Indeed. One thing is bothering me though. Now that those of us with a knack for attracting dragons outnumber the rest of the party…”

“Giving us a majority stake in the venture!”

“Yes, but now that our scents are no longer masked by the smell of garlic…”

“I’m not sure what you’re implying, pikS.”

“ALLOW ME TO ENLIGHTEN YOU, TASTY ONES.

Annnd scene. The Dragon Bait have won the game. My congratulations to Matrim’s Dice, TJ Shade, and Random Bystander!

This cycle, two Hunting Party members fell. Gears was killed by the eliminators. The Unknown Order was exed. The votes were as follows:

Experience (2): Matrim, The Unknown Order

The Unknown Order (3): TJ, Experience, Gears,

Player List:

Spoiler

1. @Gears was Seba, a Hunting Party Member

2. @Matrim's Dice as pikS, a Dragon Bait

3. @Quintessential was Jillian Glade, a Hunting Party Member

4. @Random Bystander as a random bystander, a Dragon Bait

5. @Shard of Reading was a Hunting Party Member

6. @The Unknown Order was Burt, a Hunting Party Member

7. @Dannex was Notani N Quisitor, a Hunting Party Member

8. @Ashbringer was Faleast, a Hunting Party Member

9. @Experience is Hunting Party Member

10. @Flyingbooks was Hop, Hunting Party Member

11. @Illwei was a Hunting Party Member

12. @TJ Shade is Loom, a Dragon Bait

Links:

Spectator Document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rvX1YCqAU9650OuPxQwNiqZNGwbp0I293-_Uqdk4XeE/edit?usp=sharing

Ghost Realm: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FYtLmj7Nf2P32TQNyGrxLrv2NyEaqfc4smh5t_5TfFs/edit?usp=sharing

Skip’s Grammar Club (Eliminator Document): https://docs.google.com/document/d/13QIFbdBRNwiMeoPurfrvNP9egDFIviUzc7wCFenGt0o/edit?usp=sharing

GM Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qDMLUCPC1SZDFyObmeWFp2RdMm3h-nZb0WF9NHNp5rs/edit?usp=sharing

GM Ruleset Document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YLaAJeUraqpf0qvQCWkI1sK7yqKET6OP6bx9xc_D7yk/edit?usp=sharing

The Secrets:

Secret #1: Secret Bonus Task [Everyone received the following message in their GM PM at the beginning of the game]

You also have an optional bonus objective! If you successfully use the following phrase in three separate posts without someone commenting on the use of it, you will be given a snazzy joke title in the final write-up: [word sneak phrase]

[GM Notes: This was a nice non-combative objective people could work towards during lulls. I did not fully think through how it would function, and had to rule after the game had begun that white text was not allowed, and that the words had to be together but that punctuation could be fudged.]

Half of you successfully completed your bonus challenges! So as promised:

• Gears, I dub thee this game’s Maniacal Monocled Monopoly Master.
  • Shard of Reading, for your boundless optimism, you have become a Friend of Dragons.
  • Illwei, you said your phrase excellently, but so I can make a meme reference, I dub thee an Okay Vroomer.
  • Flyingbooks, your fear of flying insects is well warranted, for you are the Bane of Butterflies.       
  • TJ Shade, for having the strength to complete your task, I dub thee a Pew Pewterarm.
  • And lastly, Matrim’s Dice, as you’ve said all along, you are The Best at Counting.

Secret #2: The Note [This was a limited messaging mechanic in a non-PM game. It functioned as advertised, however, players were not told that if they attempted to pass it back to the person who gave it to them, it would be instead sent to a random person. The final product is in the below spoiler tag, with the sender noted in red.]

You're bonked on the head with a paper airplane. It has some writing on it, but there's room for more! You think it would be fun to write a note and pass the paper on. So far it reads:

[All messages written will be recorded, up to 25 words. Only words and standard, appropriate punctuation will be accepted. If a player is holding the note during rollover, it will automatically be passed to someone random, unless they received it within an hour of rollover. If a player dies with it in their inventory, the note is passed to a random individual. Otherwise, tell me what you want to write and who you want to give it to. The recipient will not be told who passed it to them.]

Spoiler

1. This is Jillian. Write your name, pass to someone else, tell them to do the same. Chain letters are awesome! [Quinn]

2. Heh, chain messages via PMs. Where have I seen this before... -Dannex [Dannex]

3. This isn't very effective secret communication. P.S. Give me the bow ;). [Illwei]

4. That is correct, Illwei, but as it’s purely for cosmetics that’s a-ok. (Third person down is sus) [Mat]

5. The point wasn't for it to get back to me, y'know. If this gets back to 4, say who you are please? -Quinn [Quinn]

6. I don't really understand the purpose of this note, but I guess I'll participate -Random Bystander [Randby]

7. No I am not! I'm a dragon bait. I'm offended that you would ever think that! [Shard of Reading]

8. Hmm, sorry Quinn, forgot your RP character name. Didn't notice. (This is Four) [Mat]

9. *ties a ribbon into a neat little bow and presents it to Illwei* Here, a bow ;). [TJ Shade]

10. Hi Illwei!, this is Exp. Want to use this to PM? [Experience]

11. hahaha     can I trust you? :P. [Illwei, who then tried to pass it back]

12. Yes. Yes. You can certainly trust me. -Books [Flyingbooks]

13. Gears: Quinn, would you like to attempt to replicate our 840 message PM with chain messages of less than or equal to 25 words exactly? [Gears]

14. Not particularly, especially seeing as this game seems on the verge of disaster and will probably end soon. -Quinn [Quinn, who tried to pass it back]

15. Oh gosh, I have no idea who I should shoot. [Shard of Reading] 

16. Stop passing me the airplane people. I don't want it. -Random Bystander [Randby]

17. Reading, talking in the thread would help :). Suggestions so far are Quinn and TJ, each with their respective reasoning. [Mat]

18. I'm thinking of shooting Quinn, but I'm going to think about that a little more. [Shard of Reading]

19. Rollover is too early for me. Argh. [Illwei]

20. I know you are an elim. [TUO]

21. I presume message 20 was you, Order? I can assure you that I am not. Where did you get this information? [Gears, who attempted to pass back to TUO]

22. Matrim, I think that Order is (hopefully) likely elim. And messages 20 and 21 back that if it was indeed Order talking. -Exp [Experience, who passed it to Matrim, who sat on it for the rest of the game]

[GM Note: This was labor intensive to manage, but fun. I think the combination of shortness and not being able to pass between two people consecutively limited its usefulness, but it had a lot of potential if used differently. If you’re an active GM, it’s good for a QF. If you’re running a longer game, it should probably be passed once a cycle or something.]

Secret #3: Notes in the Night [This was a way for the dead, who were sequestered in a sperate doc from the Spectators, to communicate with the living.]

The following message appears in both the Elim and Ghost Realm docs:

While many among the group seem to have made up their minds about dragons and the future prospects of the Hunting Party, a few individuals seem persuadable. The members of Skip’s Grammar Club (aka The Dragon Bait) have taken to slipping 25-word notes, written on pages ripped from their well-loved copy of An Enthusiast’s Guide to Dragon Spotting, to the people who do not vote each day. But even after dying, some Hunters refuse to give up. As ghosts, they try to edit the messages that are sent out. Through sheer force of will, and a little bit of magic!, they are successful about half of the time [Your GM will flip a coin]. The messages placed in the following chart [they had tables in their docs] will be distributed during roll-over. A new chart will be made each cycle. When Dragon Bait die, they go straight to the Spectator document. Everyone else is sent to the Ghost Realm, then may choose to pass on to the Spec doc at any time, at which point they are taken out of the game.

[The following appeared in non-voters’ GM PMs during rollover.]

You wake up to find a ripped piece of paper on the ground beside you. It seems to be taken from a book. [insert a few sentences from AEGtDS here]

Scrawled along the bottom is some handwriting: [insert message here]

[GM Note: AEGtDS is a made-up text I wrote in advance:]

Spoiler

An Enthusiast’s Guide to Dragon Spotting

…The Eastern Blue Dragon is one of the most elusive of its kind. Its teal scales and white underbelly make it difficult to spot when flying. Look for its silhouette in sunrise and sunset skylines. They travel at altitudes between three hundred and five hundred feet, gliding with their ten-to-twelve-foot wingspans. The Blue Dragon is renowned for its familial loyalty and will often be seen with their children and mates. The ancestry of young Blues can be inferred by their hunting habits; they will often share similar tastes and feeding times to their parents and parents’ parents.

The Opal Dragon is a cave-dwelling species notable for its lack of functioning wings. On its back are two bone spurs that lack connection skin. It is also thought to have a shorter than average tale, however, reports of its anatomy have not been widely verified as they have only been seen a handful of times. The Opal Dragon was only discovered around the time of Undertown’s founding. A small faction of the Enthusiast community still refers to them as Black Dragons, a name coined by the coalminers whose tunnels first intersected with their habitats. Its terrestrial nature has led some scholars to argue that it should not be known as a dragon but as a large lizard. It is the opinion of this Society that more research should be done before a determination is made….

…The Pink-bellied’s status as a unique species is disputed. Some Enthusiasts have noted the similarities between known members of their kind and the more established Greater Red Dragon. As the latter has irregular birthing cycles, forgoing mating for centuries at a time, it is possible that the emergent Pink-bellied is the never-before-seen juvenile form of the Greater Red. No attempts have been made to liaison with the dragons to address this theory, out of respect for their personal lives…

[GM Note: Like Secret 2, this had lots of potential. I was surprised how little either secret was discussed in-thread, but credit that to it being used mostly jokingly throughout the game. The ghosts got a good message out at the end of C3, but by then it was too late. A doc of confirmed villagers working together is a mighty force to be reckoned with, but the game was too short for this to work well. I’d love to see it reused, as it’s a nice way to give people a way to contribute after they’ve been killed. I was tempted to have everyone get a message even if they voted, but I prefer the idea that at the end of the game, people who know how it works will have to balance voting power with the chance of receiving a valuable message. Note to future GMs, be warned that it makes for a very quiet spec doc.]

Other GM Notes:

-ILD is fabulous source material for a light QF. I enjoyed reading the dialogue-only RP people made.

-This game would probably be more balanced with three elims and eleven villagers, with the elim win-con as parity. Twelve is a hard number of players to balance, because you have to go with three elims, but that makes them a solid quarter of the group, which is the upper end of what’s considered good balance. That said, the crossbow is likely going to a villager, and would have been more effective if the village hadn’t decided to exe the Crossbowman when they did.

-The crossbow is hard for the elims to grab without exposing themselves, especially in a non-PM game. I like the election element because it acts as a conversation starter on C1 while giving the elims a chance to make a play. It’s probably the feature I’d most like to see reused.

-Anyone who wants to has standing permission to re-run this game in whole or in part. Steal whatever ideas you want.

-Finally, thank you to my wonderful IM, Devotary. And to all of you! You were a great group to run a game for. I was impressed that no one fell to the activity filter. Y’all can come back any time.

Edited by Archer

Heyo! ha! TJ got Elim! hahahahha!

Anyways this was a fun simple game :P. I enjoyed it.

Was...kinda confused at why everyone was okay with them voting for reading with little explaination lmao. But I forgot about it after a bit so-.

and hindsight 20/20 but the crossbowman shoulda been probably good, seeing as the Elims wouldn't want to draw suspicion like that. :P.

Edited by Illwei

4 minutes ago, Illwei said:

Heyo! ha! TJ got Elim! hahahahha!

Yeah xD

I'm honestly surprised we didn't just lose. I was getting really worried C2, but never underestimate the power of confusion I guess :P.

The notes for the non-voters were fun. A bit sad no one got the one I put for C3 though :P

6 minutes ago, Archer said:

The crossbow is hard for the elims to grab without exposing themselves, especially in a non-PM game.

This was true, though it didn't seem to matter in the end.

Edit: @Illwei, what was your code phrase? I couldn't figure it out :P.

Edited by Matrim's Dice

Just now, Shard of Reading said:

My secret phrase was: Maybe it's a friendly dragon.

Mine was: That reminds me of a song. But. I couldn't use it once I had to drop the RP 'cause I couldn't think of a way to work it into my posts XD

I had no idea Random was elim lol I genuinely thought that the third elim was TUO and that we were going to survive another cycle... 

(I will be pointing to this game the next time a bunch of people read me elim from C1 for sounding different <_< Just saying.)

So it was Matrim/TJ/Ruby? Alas, you had us played for fools. Lamentations of the highest order. This was wonderful. My codephrase was "This game is like Monopoly." I got it in the first 3 posts and no one caught it at all. 

"So you were right."
"Yep."
"You happy about it?"
"Not particularly."
"I'm looking forward to reading the docs."
"I as well. Let's go read that and perchance edit in a few words in response."
"I bid the reader adieu."
"We're not French, you pretentious idiot."
"No one who says that is French."
"True, true."
"Now, to the docs!"

13 minutes ago, Archer said:

Secret #1: Secret Bonus Task [Everyone received the following message in their GM PM at the beginning of the game]

You also have an optional bonus objective! If you successfully use the following phrase in three separate posts without someone commenting on the use of it, you will be given a snazzy joke title in the final write-up: [word sneak phrase]

I was so close ;-;

I think I got 2 phrases snuck in.

And then I was a genius and lied to everyone

But then I died and it didn't matter

5 minutes ago, Quintessential said:

(I will be pointing to this game the next time a bunch of people read me elim from C1 for sounding different <_< Just saying.)

*raises hand* I didn't actually read you as elim. :ph34r:

Edit: To Gears, numerous others: I noticed a bunch of code phrases (see the elim doc for the ones I caught) though I didn't want to point it out because who am I to deny you your amazing joke titles? ;) 

Edited by Matrim's Dice

7 minutes ago, Quintessential said:

1) not the reasoning, 2) I came around on you, 3) you did RP of course you sounded different lol

Illwei

Stop

Thinking

And let this just end

And then she did :P.

Yeah Quinn was right in that if we needed to kill an Elim that cycle, but I stand by that the safest way was killing reading and him shooting TJ :P. alas, he shot Quinn :P.

Edited by Illwei

3 minutes ago, Shard of Reading said:

Edit: @Dannex is it bad that I only now figured out that Notani N Quisitor means not an inquisitor?

Yes. :mellow:

Spoiler

:P

It made more sense in the game that he was created for. MR46 iirc.

15 minutes ago, Illwei said:

Mine was "vroom vroom" haha.

Oh I 100% thought that was just an Illwei thing xD

12 minutes ago, Illwei said:

I believe my streak of always voting an Elim on D1 continues? :P.

Yes.......

54 minutes ago, Quintessential said:

I had no idea Random was elim lol I genuinely thought that the third elim was TUO and that we were going to survive another cycle... 

And this is my fault. I apologize for not being active. It's probably good that I died in the long game. And of course I'm fine now that this game is over. <_< But hey! We won, so yay! It was also really satisfying to be an elim. :)

The random bystander snapped a photo of the dragon. "Well. Mission accomplished!" She then worldhopped away.

28 minutes ago, Archer said:

I dub thee a Pew Pewterarm.

Believe it or not, I was going to use this joke for my third pew pew :P

Thanks for running it Archer! It was terrifying fun! Enjoyed your write ups!

Definitely enjoyed plotting stuff with Mat, and definitely did NOT enjoy being stressed out like the other 50% of the time :P. Good game village, and yeah Illwei, another game, another accurate D1 read :P.