Hoid reread theory

Kolo_Lono

So Hoid clearly "pushed the boulder" in order to steal the Moon Scepter and possibly to cause Shai's imprisonment. Do we know if he or possibly another world hopper may have set the failed assassination attempt in motion? This novella could contain some of the highest levels of Hoid's influence if so in my opinion.

Edited by Kolo_Lono

On 2/19/2021 at 9:06 PM, Kolo_Lono said:

So Hoid clearly "pushed the boulder" in order to steal the Moon Scepter and possibly to cause Shai's imprisonment. Do we know if he or possibly another world hopper may have set the failed assassination attempt in motion? This novella could contain some of the highest levels of Hoid's influence if so in my opinion.

It seemed pretty obvious that the Glory Faction was responsible 

And there was no use in a world hopper doing it

Maybe, but what would be the point

I'd imagine it would only be relevant if we actually do get Elantris 2 and 3. Yes, the Glory Faction made the attempt but what I was saying was that Hoid or a 17th shard member may have been influential in the decision to make the attempt. Just the vibe I got from the conversation between Hoid and Shai in the deleted scene's conversation. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2021 at 7:21 PM, Kolo_Lono said:

I'd imagine it would only be relevant if we actually do get Elantris 2 and 3. Yes, the Glory Faction made the attempt but what I was saying was that Hoid or a 17th shard member may have been influential in the decision to make the attempt. Just the vibe I got from the conversation between Hoid and Shai in the deleted scene's conversation. 

Spoiler

“I am sorry about this,” the Fool said.

“You? You’re just the court fool. Why should I care if you . . .” She trailed off. “You!” she said, pointing. “You’re the one who turned me in!”

“Yes.”

“Nights! Why?”

“I couldn’t let you steal the scepter.”

“What? Suddenly you’re a loyal subject? Nights, Fool! You should have come to me. I’d have offered you gold to keep my secret.”

“I couldn’t let you steal it,” the Fool continued, “because I had to steal it myself.”

Shai froze.

“Your duplicate, I might add,” the Fool said, hands clasped behind his back, “was quite useful. Thank you.

Spoiler

In terms of canonicity, you will notice that various details in the above scene contradict with details of Shai’s imprisonment in the final version of the novella. However, Brandon considers a conversation between Shai and the Fool very much like the one presented above to be a part of official continuity.

I'm afraid I'm not getting the same vibe that Hoid had something to do with the assassination. He was probably more involved than he was on Naalthis, but this seems to me like more of a "pop in, grab the item, and pop out" scenario.

On 3/27/2021 at 3:54 AM, Daggon Forescout said:

I'm afraid I'm not getting the same vibe that Hoid had something to do with the assassination.

Nahh he just needed this to make a perfect body to contain a shadow, he just used her even though he was sure she could handle herself and that’s why he apologized