Long Game 74: You Want It Darker

Kasimir

Lasalen hummed as they walked down the street with their new ducks in a cage on a cart behind them. They had won these ducks off a gambler and it would be nice to finally have some animals to experiment on. When they got to their workshop, Lasalen realized that the cage wouldn't fit through any of the doors, even the larger door to the storage room.

Maybe if I open the cage door into the storage room I could get the ducks in and then herd them to the testing room, Lasalen thought, they can't do too much damage in the short time they're loose, right? Just in case, I'll put the poisons and explosives in the front room.

The moment Lasalen let the ducks into the storage room, they went wild. Four ducks jumped into some vats of dye, another two headed for the medicine corner, and yet another three started flapping around the room and knocking vials over. This had been a bad idea.

I'm signing up as Lasalen, an alchemist/duck wrangler

11 hours ago, Ventyl said:

I watched the ashes fall.

It was beautiful in it’s own unique way. The way the black snowflakes stepped down from the skies was a mesmerizing sight; one I always found myself fascinated with. The other boys in Fallion’s Tears had always called me weird, but I hadn’t cared.

Hours, days, maybe even weeks of my life had been spent towards admiring the thin flakes of dust, spewed from the belly of the nearest ash mount. Studying the ash had been an escape from the criticisms of my schoolmates. While they dreamt of flying through the skies like coinshots, I dreamt of falling to the ground with the ash.

When they investigators had burned old man Bartholomew’s corpse, I’d gone to look at his ashes.

Sneaking into the dead man’s home hadn’t been that hard, his widow left the door unlocked in her grief, I assumed. Nevertheless, I tip-toed as stealthy as I could mange through the couples small home—one that just barely managed to claim it wasn’t a skaa hut. The floor creaked regardless of my dexterity, it seemed so loud compared to the sound of falling ash I’d grown accustomed to; everything did.

”Lord Ruler!” An older women shouted, her voicing cracking in fear. “Who’s there?”

It seemed the floorboards had betrayed me, giving away my presence to their haggard mistress. I no longer found any point in trying to hide myself. Leaving the shadows of the dark hallway that lead to the stairs, I said quietly, “It’s me, miss.”

”Oh, Niru,” She said, letting out a sigh filled with tension like the canals filled with ash. “I thought for a moment that they’d co— ah, never mind. What is it you want?”

“I was wondering if I could see them,” I said honestly. It’d be best to get out with it quickly. “His ashes, I mean.”

A few different emotions crossed the kind hag’s face. Surprise, given away by the widening of her brown eyes and the raising of the sagging skin in the area that could be where her eyebrows were. Anger, shown through how her the tightening spreading from her brow all the way to the corners of her eyes and chapped lips. Grief, letting itself be known by her eyes looking straight to the ground, almost as if she wanted to get a peek into hell to look for her dead husband. 

“Ah, that’s right,” She started, respectful contempt blatantly marring her expression. “You like to study ash, don’t you Niru.”

I nodded my head silently, hoping that if I acted diminutively she wouldn’t say no to my stranger request. It worked and the old women led me further into the house. The creaking of the floorboards no longer seemed so loud as I walked mutedly behind her. Sometime along the way she’d grabbed a candle and lit it—illuminating the worn down house with flickering light—allowing me to see relics of a dead man.

Eventually, we reached the main room and the widow plucked a small black vase off of the centerpiece. It seemed ironic that the remains of old man Bartholomew, who’d towered over many of the villages men, fit it such a small container. The soft clang the vase let out as it was set on the table made my anticipation begin to run wild. I waited for only a moment after the women left— not paying attention to whatever she’d said on her way out—and greedily torn the lid off the dark container. What I found lurking in that treasure trove was something I couldn’t fathom. 

Stark against the familiar color of black, were the ashes of a murdered man. 

And they were grey.

Obliteration looked at the (I can't tell if their a man or woman). Their interest with ash instantly connected them. 

He left the body of his follower and manifested as floating ash, one of his favorite forms. He talked a whispery and raspy voice, "Ash, ash in the wind, the ash of Obliteration."

Edited by The Unknown Order

Last time (i think it was the last anyway) I RP'd in this kinda setting I was a completely deranged mistborn RP wise and lemme tell you it was something to write outside my usual and uh kinda awkward so this game for RP purposes I shall be the simple

Smirkai

and Smirkai might get RP soon idk

7 minutes ago, Flyingbooks said:

@Kasimir While the Tineye is alive, can people create group PMs or just one-on-one PMs?

As long as there is a single living Tineye, or a Mistborn has Tin for the cycle, any number or kind of PMs can be created. (I'm probably gonna regret saying this since I know what some of you are like about PMs, but Tyrian rules are Tyrian rules :P ) Only limit is that the GM and IM have to be included, and if I tell you the PMs are closed (e.g. because Mistborn drew a different metal), then you need to stop talking in them.

24 minutes ago, STINK said:

Last time (i think it was the last anyway) I RP'd in this kinda setting I was a completely deranged mistborn RP wise and lemme tell you it was something to write outside my usual and uh kinda awkward so this game for RP purposes I shall be the simple

Smirkai

and Smirkai might get RP soon idk

That should be one very interesting vote train :ph34r:

Edited by Kasimir

hiii I would like to sign up as...Sunny

Sunny the Dolphin is a worldhopper (but that's a secret) visiting Scadrial because she'd heard of the ashfalls and they sounded wonderful

Spoiler

hi.png.aa4a47f9456c62c362777b729a3ba296.png

She likes to bake as an anger management strategy; it's extremely effective.

Despite common belief, she is not a mistborn however she has a very particular sense of fashion (yes that's a hastily drawn mistcloak (I decided to go all out :P)).

I've obviously come up with my own cosmetic role :P Each cycle Sunny will bake y'all a cake. SEcret ingredients used maybe probably.

9 minutes ago, _Stick_ said:

Sunny the Dolphin is a worldhopper (but that's a secret) visiting Scadrial because she'd heard of the ashfalls and they sounded wonderful

Reveal hidden contents

Despite common belief, she is not a mistborn however she has a very particular sense of fashion (yes that's a hastily drawn mistcloak (I decided to go all out :P)).

I've obviously come up with my own cosmetic role :P Each cycle Sunny will bake y'all a cake. SEcret ingredients used maybe probably.

Locktown

Sara swirled the ragged old towel around the inside of the foggy glass. Driblets of water ran down her arm, wetting the edges of her sleeve, rolled up to prevent this exact circumstance. She sighed and set the glass down. It seemed like no matter how much she scrubbed, she couldn't wipe away the years of finger prints and built-up dust from these glasses. If only she could replace them, but glass didn't come cheap this far out in the Western Dominance. Or anywhere in the Final Empire, really. Stupid nobles.

It'd been a few months since she took over ownership of The Steel Crow. Ten years of mopping unknown substances off grainy wood floors had left her the owner after her uncle's tragic, but expected, passing. Working here had its perks; she knew just about everyone in Fallion's Tears, though almost none of them were in the tavern now, save one man who she saw every day. Too shaken up by the recent death, she supposed. Poor Bartholomew.

She watched the lone man stumble out the doors into the twilight and sighed. Hopefully the Koloss rumors wouldn't be too bad for business.

-0-

Aye, first game! Life's a bit busy, but when is it not? I'll do my best! Signing up as Sara, the new owner of the local tavern, since I didn't see tavernkeeper as a cosmetic option :)

1 hour ago, _Stick_ said:

Reveal hidden contents

Your MSPaint(?) drawing is quite nice.

I decided to translate the Steel Alphabet symbols in the OP, just to see if Kas was hiding anything. It translates to “pbpbpbpb”, so yeah, I’m on to you Kas. :ph34r:

Edited by Dannex

16 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

And with that, this game equals the AG in players only two days into signups.

This is gonna be awesome :P 

I was literally just thinking about that. And with Books saying on the Discord server that they think another one of their friends might be making an account to play, we could hit 28 players. Which means we could have 7-8 elims. Which is awesome! I’m excited for this game!! :P

Arenta scowled when she heard the news of refugees inbound to Fallion’s Tears. Gullible fools that believed the rumors of Koloss, yet didn’t care about the equally absurd tales of Spiked. But then a smile threatened the corners of her mouth. More people meant more chances to collect rent, after all.

I’m pretty excited to play this game, and I’m looking forward to killing playing with a bunch of new folks. I promise not to murder you during the first turn, so long as your payment is on time :P.

2 hours ago, Dannex said:

I decided to translate the Steel Alphabet symbols in the OP, just to see if Kas was hiding anything. It translates to “pbpbpbpb”, so yeah, I’m on to you Kas. :ph34r:

You're not wrong that the Steel Alphabet symbols are significant, just as the Steel Alphabet symbol in MR43 had meaning.

But you're not quite going about it the right way :P

Fair disclaimer: I'm of the GMing school of Wyrm, or at least, he's my Shardtwin, so there's always a lot of ref drops and plot humming beneath the surface of the write-ups. It's great for players who enjoy easter eggs, and who like stronger RP settings to work off, and in my view, can easily be ignored by players who just want to play the game and ignore the bells and whistles. (This also has the advantage of letting me not have to do so many death write-ups this time, which honestly can get boring after you've GMed enough games, and I haven't even done as many as he has :P ) I've been seeding hints for what is to come, but they can all be safely ignored as they're flavour/plot related and won't affect what the Village or Spiked do, though I do have plans there... :ph34r:

Also, welcome aboard to everyone who has signed up! Do remember to check the rules and think about your character's dirty secret/skeleton in the closet. I'm dead serious when I say I will make one up if I don't get one, and remember, you're talking to the GM who invented the Duck Wrangler cosmetic role here :P

Great to see we're getting a good-sized group, and shoutout to @Biplet for that fun RP! I was going to invent a tavern if no one would sign up as a tavern keeper, so I'm glad to see you're taking on the responsibility of keeping the Village pacified drunk and happy :P I am also pretty much interested in what's going to happen when @_Stick_ and @Araris Valerian meet, to be fair, and I've heard certain fun plans from players already, so this is going to be fun to watch :ph34r:

Edited by Kasimir

... @Kasimir, am I the only one without a blurb? And is that because I / Faleast / AraRaash are so wonderfully inscrutible or because I just don’t have one?

Also, Faleast/AraRaash will be going by the name of Derrick. Because there’s not much point to going undercover with a kandra name. (Faleast’s identity will be a bit of an open secret especially for all you game-hoppers, but it’s the principle of the thing... and I can assure you there will be more secrets to come :ph34r: ).

2 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

... @Kasimir, am I the only one without a blurb? And is that because I / Faleast / AraRaash are so wonderfully inscrutible or because I just don’t have one?

Also, Faleast/AraRaash will be going by the name of Derrick. Because there’s not much point to going undercover with a kandra name. (Faleast’s identity will be a bit of an open secret especially for all you game-hoppers, but it’s the principle of the thing... and I can assure you there will be more secrets to come :ph34r: ).

Old man brain, sorry :ph34r: It's been fixed.

I do take death requests, but I generally don't take death RP as I already have write-ups handled. That being said, I have some plans I'm working out and that I need to talk to the IM over as I believe players should get to receive upvote credit for their own death RPs, too.

Edited by Kasimir

1 hour ago, Kasimir said:

You're not wrong that the Steel Alphabet symbols are significant, just as the Steel Alphabet symbol in MR43 had meaning.

But you're not quite going about it the right way :P

:blink:
they actually mean something?
I have to know. The symbol in MR43 was for Era 2 copper. I don’t really see how that fits into the plot of MR43, but maybe I missed something when I read through it. I did notice that the literal word “copper” kept showing up, but that might be a coincidence. (eg. copperplate, the handwriting style, is mentioned, and all police officers are referred to as ‘coppers’.)