Hey

HoidByOwnPetard

I'm a professor and writer who researches, among other things, writing. I was introduced to Sanderson and China Mieville around the same time after presenting some research on science fiction authors (it was not super interesting; it focused on investigating the distribution of words per sentence but didn't reveal much aside from a fun way to rewrite your own work). After initially resisting the fantasy, I gave in.

I'm glad I did! I'm now caught up with almost everything (halfway through Rhythm of War) and I'm going back through it all looking for connections and hints to the larger Cosmere. Looking forward to seeing what everyone's found!

4 hours ago, HoidByOwnPetard said:

I'm a professor and writer who researches, among other things, writing. I was introduced to Sanderson and China Mieville around the same time after presenting some research on science fiction authors (it was not super interesting; it focused on investigating the distribution of words per sentence but didn't reveal much aside from a fun way to rewrite your own work). After initially resisting the fantasy, I gave in.

I'm glad I did! I'm now caught up with almost everything (halfway through Rhythm of War) and I'm going back through it all looking for connections and hints to the larger Cosmere. Looking forward to seeing what everyone's found!

Hello, welcome to the Shard! Hope you have a great time here.

How many Sanderson books have you read so far? Favorite/least favorite book? Character?

Oh, I don't think we'll ever uncover the true formula to what makes true talent. Practice and care are big things but there are plenty of writers who care about their craft and have thousands of hours of writing under their belt but still don't have the Sanderson magic.

I absolutely agree with you. There may be some one-offs from other authors that I enjoy as much (the first Hitchhiker's Guide, Cloud Atlas, Chasm City, Invisible Monsters, half a dozen Crichton novels from the 80s and 90s) but those are peaks in a landscape of hills. The sheer volume of Brandon's consistently fantastic work is astounding. I even enjoyed White Sand! There are probably different shards in our universe and he nabbed Creativity. Makes about as much sense as anything else.

18 hours ago, The One Ring said:

Hello, welcome to the Shard! Hope you have a great time here.

How many Sanderson books have you read so far? Favorite/least favorite book? Character?

I'm about 300 pages from being entirely up to speed with every book, novella, and graphic novel. This is odd because my favorite is Alloy of Law but my least favorite is Bands of Mourning.

Favorite character is either Marasi, Jasnah, or The Lopen, but I'll ship MeLaan and Wayne anywhere in the contiguous US. Flat rate.

Edited by HoidByOwnPetard

On 2/20/2021 at 2:05 AM, HoidByOwnPetard said:

... my favorite is Alloy of Law but my least favorite is Bands of Mourning.

That is really interesting.  I LOVE AoL, I think it's my favorite single novel also; the first of the "new era" of Mistborn, returning to a world we already knew and loved, plus the joy of discovering everything new.  I find every character to be fantastic.  But I also really enjoyed SoS and BoM, especially the deeper understanding we get of the magic system and the beginnings of connections to the Cosmere as a whole.  I was amazed at how much more I got out of BoM the second - and even third - time I read it.

I'd love to hear the reasons behind your feelings, but it should probably be in the Mistborn forum... make a topic and I'll join you there!