17th Shard Meme Competition!

danex

Should we resume the competition?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should we resume the contest? (Votes are anonymous)

• Yes!
    • I don’t really care, I might participate if you do.
    • I won’t participate if you do.
  2. 2. Should we restart the contest completely with some rule changes?

• No!
    • Yes!
    • I don’t care, I’ll participate either way.
    • I don’t care, I’m not participating either way.

... I WON?!

How in the storming rusting scudding world did that happen??

:lol:

"I'd like to thank the academy and my family and the other meme competitors and books. I'd also like to thank fantasy authors. They give the world a great service."

Anyway, here's my meme:

Spoiler

603fdf500621d_QuarantineMeme.png.36cf606563a67a487eb4f715ef3c71ef.png

Made using Google slides :)

Could I please receive a breakdown of my score?

34 minutes ago, 2EmLee2 said:

Could I please receive a breakdown of my score?

Sure!

Your score was:

Humor: 16/20
Theme: 9/10
Design: 6/10
Originality: 4/5
Total: 35/45

Humor: Pretty basic, funny but not insanely funny. 

Theme: Adheres to the theme very well, I think I took a point off just because you didn’t actually mention the word ‘Quarantine’. 

Design: Took a few points off here because I don’t think you really used that format super accurately. That format is usually just used to show increasing magnitudes of something, like frame 1 leads to frame 2, which leads to frame 3, which leads to frame 4. You used it as the first two frames being a negative reaction to something, and the last two frames being a positive reaction. Which tbf makes some sense based on his expression, but I’ve never seen that format used that way. 

Originality: Pretty unique, taking a positive spin on being stuck inside. Most quarantine memes are about how not fun it is, so I liked your optimism. 

2 hours ago, Dannex said:

Pretty sure spoiler policy is no row content at all outside of spoiler boards, and then once the 9 months are up tagged spoilers are allowed 

If it is not a game that lends itself well to splitting threads, or you only wish to go on a small tangent in a chatting thread, please tag anything and everything that you think could possibly be called a spoiler, no matter how vague, and be clear that the tags are for RoW and not being used in a joking or spoiler-chain manner.

this is what Ene said about this in the pinned announcement at the top of FGaRS

23 minutes ago, Chinkoln said:

@Dannex Any update on what theme we are supposed to use?

Wait did I not tell you guys

wow I’m bad at this.

I thought of the theme like two days ago

and I swear I posted it but maybe the Shard ate it. Or more likely I’m just dumb and didn’t actually hit the send button. <_<

*facepalm*

Chinkoln, I hereby grant you the unofficial title of “person who makes sure I don’t mess this up insanely bad” because like honestly, I would’ve gone the whole week without realizing I hadn’t posted it :wacko:

Anyway, actual theme announcement now.

Spoiler

List of people I need to say sorry to for forgetting to actually say what the theme is:

The theme for this week is...

Spoiler

Lift! As in the SA character. RoW spoilers are allowed...I think. I’m like 99% sure @Condensation has read RoW but I have not actually confirmed it.

If you haven’t read SA, you have an alternate theme: Spook! As in the Mistborn character. 

If you somehow haven’t read either of those...what the heck are you doing on this site? (Ok but if you actually haven’t, just PM me and I’ll think of a second alternative theme.)

You have until next Thursday (March 11th) to submit your meme, but if you know you aren’t going to make one for this round, please tell me beforehand. 

Reminder: Do NOT submit your meme directly to me, rather, submit them to @Condensation and @Random Bystander. (Give it to both of them at the same time in a group PM).

33 minutes ago, Dannex said:

wow I’m bad at this.

and I swear I posted it but maybe the Shard ate it. Or more likely I’m just dumb and didn’t actually hit the send button. <_<

*facepalm*

Chinkoln, I hereby grant you the unofficial title of “person who makes sure I don’t mess this up insanely bad” because like honestly, I would’ve gone the whole week without realizing I hadn’t posted it :wacko:

Reveal hidden contents

List of people I need to say sorry to for forgetting to actually say what the theme is:

Reveal hidden contents

Lift! As in the SA character. RoW spoilers are allowed...I think. I’m like 99% sure @Condensation has read RoW but I have not actually confirmed it.

If you haven’t read SA, you have an alternate theme: Spook! As in the Mistborn character. 

If you somehow haven’t read either of those...what the heck are you doing on this site? (Ok but if you actually haven’t, just PM me and I’ll think of a second alternative theme.)

You have until next Thursday (March 11th) to submit your meme, but if you know you aren’t going to make one for this round, please tell me beforehand. 

Reminder: Do NOT submit your meme directly to me, rather, submit them to @Condensation and @Random Bystander. (Give it to both of them at the same time in a group PM).

*Uncontrollable sobbing* I already used my Lift meme. CURSE YOU BAD TIMING! CURSE YOOOOUUU! :P

Edit: My bad timing. Not your bad timing.

Edited by Random Bystander

1 hour ago, Dannex said:

wow I’m bad at this.

*facepalm*

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

I have, actually. ^_^

On 3/2/2021 at 5:06 PM, Dannex said:

I had a general rule while judging that I was docking 3 points for any meme with a watermark. Maybe I’ll lower that to 2 points for the next round, not sure. And then I docked one more point because I think it would’ve been better if the 17th Shard logo was specifically above the gun, so it’s like you’re killing your social life with the Shard. As it is, both the logo and the “Me” are referring to the same thing, so it’s mildly confusing, like “so who does he represent, ‘me’ or the shard? Also, I found the phrasing “my in-person social life” a bit clunky. Could’ve just said “my social life”, and it would’ve made just as much sense. I can see why you’d want to clarify it, but still. So those 2 things together equal one docked point, plus 3 for imageflip watermark.

Oof, I don't have a non-complicated way of removing the watermark, but totally fair. I was thinking more along the lines of balancing the image aesthetic, the logo would've looked unbalanced at that size over there and making it smaller would make it...not unrecognizable by any means, but just weird to me? Totally fair score though, thanks for the breakdown!

On 3/2/2021 at 5:30 PM, Doomstick said:

I'm saying that since she became a mod, Ene is the Shard, so he represents 'me' and the shard :P

l - you're not wrong but :lol:

On 3/3/2021 at 11:59 AM, Dannex said:

Pretty sure spoiler policy is no row content at all outside of spoiler boards, and then once the 9 months are up tagged spoilers are allowed 

On 3/3/2021 at 0:07 PM, Orlionra said:

Yep. The latest book that can make an appearance here is Dawnshard, per an announcement I saw from chaos that was probably not a vivid dream.

Stick is correct that you can post RoW things here as long as they're clearly tagged.

1 hour ago, Experience said:

@Dannex, I think I'm going to have to formally leave this competition, as I find myself not having the time and brains to make memes. 

Noted. Sad to see you go =(

Edited by Dannex

16 hours ago, Dannex said:

I petition that this be changed to an official title. I propose that this title be the “Director of Organization and Order”

On 3/6/2021 at 11:47 AM, Chinkoln said:

I petition that this be changed to an official title. I propose that this title be the “Director of Organization and Order”

I vote against this, the other one's funnier. 

You have until the end of today to submit your memes! (I should probably have like, a specific end time, but I’m nowhere near professional enough for that. Let’s just guesstimate and say y’all have about 10ish hours.)

On 3/13/2021 at 8:18 PM, Dannex said:

I’m working on it.

Don’t worry, haven’t forgotten to do it this time. It’s just taking me a while to choose. :P

Ummm, I must fulfill my assigned duty and ask, have you chosen a winner? Or did you forget again?

Spoiler

I summon thee from the ancient depths, o makers of memes

Alright, the judging has concluded! I’m too tired to do the whole ‘gameshow RP flavortext’ bit, so I’m just gonna say it. 

The Winner for the Second Round is...

Spoiler

@Eluvianii with a score of 39/45! They receive one point! One more and they win the whole game!

You may all now post your memes in the thread. 

And, surprise surprise, but round 3 starts right now! The Theme for round 3 is...

Spoiler

School!
This one is very very vague, interpret it however you want. It’s so vague that I’m adjusting the criteria weighting for this one. The ‘Theme’ score will be lowered from /10 points to /5 points. 

You have until next Monday, March 22nd, to turn in these memes.