17th Shard Meme Competition!

danex

Should we resume the competition?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should we resume the contest? (Votes are anonymous)

• Yes!
    • I don’t really care, I might participate if you do.
    • I won’t participate if you do.
  2. 2. Should we restart the contest completely with some rule changes?

• No!
    • Yes!
    • I don’t care, I’ll participate either way.
    • I don’t care, I’m not participating either way.

I feel like I should mention how close this was. The winning score was 35/45, but there was a three way tie for second place at 34/45. That’s 5 memes inches away from each other. ONLY 7 WERE SUBMITTED. 

Y’all did not make this easy. :P

29 minutes ago, Dannex said:

That’s right folks, we have a tie! @2EmLee2 and @AonEne are our WINNERS! They tied for first place with a score of 35/45! They both receive one point. If either one of them receives another, they are the winners of this entire competition. Congratulations!!!

And Ene, yours was the “Why would quarantine do this?” 

Well now I feel bad for threatening your pets Woohoo! :D

Yep, that was mine.

imageproxy.php.jpg

Ene, as a moderator, could you give more than 1 rep to a single post? I know that you would NEVER abuse powers like that, such as making millions of people vote for you as their favorite on a survey, but do you have the ability to do it?

10 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Curious, what was my score? 

I think I’m only gonna give the specific score/critique for the winners. Otherwise people could figure out exactly where they placed and that kinda defeats the purpose of only saying who won. I wanted this to be a positivity-oriented contest, that’s why I decided to not do an Elimination style contest.

Speaking of that, I will do a complete breakdown of the Winner’s memes if they desire.

21 minutes ago, Chinkoln said:

Ene, as a moderator, could you give more than 1 rep to a single post? I know that you would NEVER abuse powers like that, such as making millions of people vote for you as their favorite on a survey, but do you have the ability to do it?

I don't. And I only do abuse my powers in situations where it's obvious that I'm meming :P so not often.

Oooo, I totally desire a breakdown.

10 minutes ago, Dannex said:

I would like to issue a formal apology to @Archer, whose meme was lost in the mail. They have graciously said that they don’t want a retconned score, and I am ever so grateful for that. 

This way I get to say I would have won, had it been judged. :D I'm actually not really playing to win though so it's all good. 

quarries.png.4d9e474d883f5fbf6e3d1761227fe4bf.png

1 hour ago, AonEne said:

Oooo, I totally desire a breakdown.

Alright here we go. 

Your score was 

Humor: 18/20
Theme: 6/10
Design: 6/10
Originality: 5/5
Total: 35/45

Now a breakdown. 

18/20 for humor. Not too much to say here, I just found it pretty funny. Not like, the funniest thing ever, so not 20/20, but still very funny. It’s very relatable, so that contributes quite a bit.

6/10 for theme. Docked a few points here because I think the punchline was more about the Shard than it was about Quarantine. In hindsight maybe I docked too many points, the general topic is still quarantine, even if the punchline isn’t super related to it. 

6/10 for design. I had a general rule while judging that I was docking 3 points for any meme with a watermark. Maybe I’ll lower that to 2 points for the next round, not sure. And then I docked one more point because I think it would’ve been better if the 17th Shard logo was specifically above the gun, so it’s like you’re killing your social life with the Shard. As it is, both the logo and the “Me” are referring to the same thing, so it’s mildly confusing, like “so who does he represent, ‘me’ or the shard? Also, I found the phrasing “my in-person social life” a bit clunky. Could’ve just said “my social life”, and it would’ve made just as much sense. I can see why you’d want to clarify it, but still. So those 2 things together equal one docked point, plus 3 for imageflip watermark. 

5/5 for originality. Pretty basic, any Sanderson or 17th shard meme is basically guaranteed 5/5 here. 

So there we go, breakdown of the meme.

If anyone has any ideas on balancing the criteria scores, I’d appreciate them. It’s currently at 

Humor: /20
Theme: /10
Design: /10
Originality: /5

My current thoughts are maybe lowering the weight of the Theme score, having that be weighted the same as design seems a bit much. But then it’s also pretty easy to score high on theme so maybe it’s good how it is. 

Edited by Dannex

9 minutes ago, Dannex said:

Alright here we go. 

Your score was 

Humor: 18/20
Theme: 6/10
Design: 6/10
Originality: 5/5
Total: 35/45

Now a breakdown. 

18/20 for humor. Not too much to say here, I just found it pretty funny. Not like, the funniest thing ever, so not 20/20, but still very funny.

6/10 for theme. Docked a few points here because I think the punchline was more about the Shard than it was about Quarantine. In hindsight maybe I docked too many points, the general topic is still quarantine, even if the punchline isn’t super related to it. 

6/10 for design. I had a general rule while judging that I was docking 3 points for any meme with a watermark. Maybe I’ll lower that to 2 points for the next round, not sure. And then I docked one more point because I think it would’ve been better if the 17th Shard logo was specifically above the gun, so it’s like you’re killing your social life with the Shard. As it is, both the logo and the “Me” are referring to the same thing, so it’s mildly confusing, like “so who does he represent, ‘me’ or the shard? Also, I found the phrasing “my in-person social life” a bit clunky. Could’ve just said “my social life”, and it would’ve made just as much sense. I can see why you’d want to clarify it, but still. So those 2 things together equal one docked point, plus 3 for imageflip watermark. 

5/5 for originality. Pretty basic, any Sanderson or 17th shard meme is basically guaranteed 5/5 here. 

So there we go, breakdown of the meme.

If anyone has any ideas on balancing the criteria scores, I’d appreciate them. It’s currently at 

Humor: /20
Theme: /10
Design: /10
Originality: /5

My current thoughts are maybe lowering the weight of the Theme score, having that be weighted the same as design seems a bit much. But then it’s also pretty easy to score high on theme so maybe it’s good how it is. 

There is a flaw in your reasoning, she was talking about how melding with the Shard when becoming a mod killed her social life, though she blames lockdown. The mods are kind of like the crew of the Flying Dutchman in the PotC movies.

5 minutes ago, AonDii said:

There is a flaw in your reasoning, she was talking about how melding with the Shard when becoming a mod killed her social life, though she blames lockdown. The mods are kind of like the crew of the Flying Dutchman in the PotC movies.

Huh?

5 minutes ago, Dannex said:

Huh?

22 minutes ago, Dannex said:

As it is, both the logo and the “Me” are referring to the same thing, so it’s mildly confusing, like “so who does he represent, ‘me’ or the shard?

I'm saying that since she became a mod, Ene is the Shard, so he represents 'me' and the shard :P

26 minutes ago, Chinkoln said:

These memes are great! The theme was good, the results were better! @Dannex got an idea for the theme of the next round?

I’m working on that. I’ve got some ideas, but they need to be refined a little bit. Will probably put it up later today or tomorrow morning at the latest. It’s hard to think of something relatable to everyone. Like, I was thinking I could choose a piece of pop culture or something, but what if someone doesn’t know what that is? So what if I just make the theme “pop culture”? Well then I might not know what someone’s submission is. So finding a balance is the tricky part. And then also having the theme not be too vague on top of all of that.

Also, I am putting out a call for a second assistant. Can be anyone, a contestant or just someone watching. Connie has been amazing, but not everyone can be online all the time, so hopefully having a second assistant will increase the odds of someone being online sooner, just to help streamline the process. 

meme submissions would be the same, you just send them to both assistants at once in a group PM. 

55 minutes ago, Dannex said:

I’m working on that. I’ve got some ideas, but they need to be refined a little bit. Will probably put it up later today or tomorrow morning at the latest. It’s hard to think of something relatable to everyone. Like, I was thinking I could choose a piece of pop culture or something, but what if someone doesn’t know what that is? So what if I just make the theme “pop culture”? Well then I might not know what someone’s submission is. So finding a balance is the tricky part. And then also having the theme not be too vague on top of all of that.

Also, I am putting out a call for a second assistant. Can be anyone, a contestant or just someone watching. Connie has been amazing, but not everyone can be online all the time, so hopefully having a second assistant will increase the odds of someone being online sooner, just to help streamline the process. 

meme submissions would be the same, you just send them to both assistants at once in a group PM. 

I'll take the job as your second assistant.

1 hour ago, Random Bystander said:

I'll take the job as your second assistant.

Epic. 

Also, I just had an idea for a theme, but I’m not sure it’ll work. What if I chose a Sanderson character as the theme. I didnt want to just have the theme be something like “the cosmere”, because 1. That’s too vague, and 2. Sanderson Memes has like every joke already. 

but what if I just chose a specific character? Brandon’s characters are so well written that there should still be a ton of ways to approach making a meme about them, and then it’s still specific enough to not just be vague and pointless.

thoughts?

Also, I’ve read RoW, so if we do end up doing this, (and if both assistants have read it too) then you could make RoW memes. You just couldn’t share them in the thread afterwards. 

1 minute ago, Dannex said:

Epic. 

Also, I just had an idea for a theme, but I’m not sure it’ll work. What if I chose a Sanderson character as the theme. I didnt want to just have the theme be something like “the cosmere”, because 1. That’s too vague, and 2. Sanderson Memes has like every joke already. 

but what if I just chose a specific character? Brandon’s characters are so well written that there should still be a ton of ways to approach making a meme about them, and then it’s still specific enough to not just be vague and pointless.

thoughts?

Also, I’ve read RoW, so if we do end up doing this, (and if both assistants have read it too) then you could make RoW memes. You just couldn’t share them in the thread afterwards. 

I've read RoW. Also, they could put them in the RoW memes thread instead.

23 minutes ago, AonDii said:

or we could tag them for RoW

Pretty sure spoiler policy is no row content at all outside of spoiler boards, and then once the 9 months are up tagged spoilers are allowed 

6 minutes ago, Dannex said:

Pretty sure spoiler policy is no row content at all outside of spoiler boards, and then once the 9 months are up tagged spoilers are allowed 

Yep. The latest book that can make an appearance here is Dawnshard, per an announcement I saw from chaos that was probably not a vivid dream.