17th Shard Meme Competition!

danex

Should we resume the competition?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should we resume the contest? (Votes are anonymous)

• Yes!
    • I don’t really care, I might participate if you do.
    • I won’t participate if you do.
  2. 2. Should we restart the contest completely with some rule changes?

• No!
    • Yes!
    • I don’t care, I’ll participate either way.
    • I don’t care, I’m not participating either way.

[To be read in the most gameshowy voice possible]

Weeeeellllllcome to the 17th Shard Meme Competition! I’m your host and judge, Dannnnex! Let’s meet our competitors!

For those of you joining us for the first time, here’s how this contest of ours works. I will give the contestants a theme, and they will have a certain amount of time, usually a week, to create a meme that suits it! They will then login to the shared communal account, @17thShardCommunalAccount, and PM me their submission.

1. Humor
Obviously the most important factor of a quality meme. Without humor, a meme is just a image!

2. Theme
Pretty simple. If a meme doesn’t adhere to the given theme, it will be drastically marked down. The themes will usually be pretty vague, so there’s lots of room for error. As long as I can see a clear connection between the meme and the theme, you’re good.

3. Originality
This is harder for the contestants to control, but if I’ve already seen the joke, it’s not going to be as funny. Other ways to express originality is to do a format screw. Take a classic meme format and make it mean something different.

4. Image Work
Memes aren’t just expressions of humor, they are expressions of technological prowess. A meme made by scratch in photoshop or some other photo editor is going to score much better than a meme made on some meme generator website. However, this is the lowest priority criteria, so a generated meme still has a good chance of winning. Don’t not sign up just because you aren’t good at photo editing.

And then of course we have the things to avoid. If a meme is found to be guilty of any of these things, that contestant will be eliminated.

1. Plagiarism
This obviously isn’t referring to the joke, as practically every joke has already been made. This is referring to the image itself. The image must be handmade, either via a meme generator website or an image editor.

2. Violating 17th Shard Guidelines
Pretty straightforward. Humor can be a touchy subject though, so you might want to brush up on the rules if you think something you’re submitting might be too edgy.

[OOC: This was an idea I just had, and I think it could be pretty fun! If people like it, we can have a wider panel of judges in the future, maybe composed of past winners or something. But for this first one, it’ll just be me. If you want to join, just signup below and I’ll add you to the list! I’ll reveal the theme once signups close. When do signups close? I have no idea, it depends on how many people sign up. =P

Edited by Danex
added TUO and including instructions for new submission process.

Just now, Shard of Reading said:

@Dannex I'm not entirely sure I understand, so are you allowed to use premade meme formats, or do you have to find a completely new image for your meme?

You are allowed to use formats, yes. They must be completely blank when you start however.

Just now, Condensation said:

I can be your assistant.

Does that mean the memes are submitted via PM?

Yep. So people would submit them to you in a PM, and then you'd pass them on to me. 
You could theoretically just make a single Group PM with everybody once the theme is revealed and signups are closed, since it really doesn't matter if they see each other's memes. Then your inbox wouldn't get too cluttered. Then once every meme is submitted (or the deadline is passed), you'd send them to me all at once. 

Do you want to be a contestant as well?

3 minutes ago, Dannex said:

Yep. So people would submit them to you in a PM, and then you'd pass them on to me. 
You could theoretically just make a single Group PM with everybody once the theme is revealed and signups are closed, since it really doesn't matter if they see each other's memes. Then your inbox wouldn't get too cluttered. Then once every meme is submitted (or the deadline is passed), you'd send them to me all at once. 

Do you want to be a contestant as well?

Sounds good to me!

Nah, I´m good.

5 minutes ago, Shard of Reading said:

This seems too long of a time to make 1 meme. That's more than Roast battles.

True, but in a roast battle you're only waiting on 2 people, in this we'll be waiting on a lot more. So I want to try and account for more people. You are right though, that is a bit long. I'll shorten it depending on what the final player count is. 

5 minutes ago, Condensation said:

Sounds good to me!

Nah, I´m good.

Awesome, I have added you to the OP.

3 minutes ago, Dannex said:

True, but in a roast battle you're only waiting on 2 people, in this we'll be waiting on a lot more. So I want to try and account for more people. You are right though, that is a bit long. I'll shorten it depending on what the final player count is. 

Oh, I thought it would be 1 on 1 memes. That makes more sense.

Just now, Shard of Reading said:

Oh, I thought it would be 1 on 1 memes. That makes more sense.

Yeah, I'm thinking of doing this in the style of all those Food Network cooking competitions. So every contestant presents a meme at the same time. I'm still debating on if I should make it exactly like those shows, where instead of choosing a 'winner' I choose a 'loser' and then the loser is eliminated, and everyone else continues to the next round. That would mean all of you would have to make a lot more memes, and the contest as a whole would go a lot longer.

If I do it where it's just a single round, and I choose the overall winner out of that one batch of memes, that would be easier, but it would be rather short. Idk, I'm still thinking about it. I could do a hybrid sorta thing, maybe eliminate the bottom 2 people each round, so its long but not too long. Not sure, I guess it depends on how many people sign up.