So the concept of "the hearts of men" seems like a really important one in the Cosmere. That exact phrase crops up multiple times in the Stormlight Archive, and at least once in Mistborn, Elantris, and Warbreaker. With an eye towards teasing out the importance of the hearts of men, I thought it might be useful to compile a list of the times the phrase has appeared.

And then, I broadened my search to include places where it's clear characters are talking about the hearts of men, even though that specific phrase is not used. I've grouped the results into three tiers below. Tier one are times when the phrase shows up in a way that points toward the hearts of men as a central and crucial part of the events to come. Tier two are times when we get a sense of how Shards and/or those working on their behalf are battling over the hearts of men, but without any real indication of how they fit into the broader conflict. And tier three is pretty much everything else. I've spoilered the longer excerpts for tiers one and two.

After researching this, I'm fairly certain that when Shards come into conflict with one another, the major battlefield is not a physical one so much as a battle for a greater number of hearts that are open to or attuned to that a particular Shard.

Note: The tiers were sort of a last minute addition and attempt to organize the post, so I'd prefer not to quibble about what tier things belong in. But if you see greater relevance to some of the quotes there, feel free to point that out.

Tier One - The Hearts of Men are a BFD

1. Words of Radiance Epilogue: After making a point of distinguishing Tanavast/the Almighty from capital-G God, Hoid tells Jasnah that she'll find God, and salvation from the True Desolation, in the hearts of men.

Spoiler

“You’re so convinced that there is no God.”

“The Almighty is –”

“Oh,” Wit said, “I don’t mean the Almighty. Tanavast was a fine enough fellow – bought me drinks once – but he was not God. I’ll admit, Jasnah, that I empathize with your skepticism, but I don’t agree with it. I just think you’ve been looking for God in the wrong places.”

“I suppose that you’re going to tell me where you think I should look.”

“You’ll find God in the same place you’re going to find salvation from this mess,” Wit said. “Inside the hearts of men.”

2. Rhythm of War, Ch. 99: Another Hoid and Jasnah scene; this time he tells her that the Contest of Champions will really be about the hearts of men and women

Spoiler

“He was so certain he could turn the Blackthorn that he bet almost everything on that singular gamble. Now he must be scared. While he pretends he has a dozen other plans, he’s scrambling to locate a champion who can legitimately win. Because he knows – same as I’m telling you – that the contest won’t only be about who can stab the hardest with a spear.”

“What will it be about then?”

“Same thing it’s always about, Jasnah,” Wit said. “The hearts of men and women. Do you trust the hearts of those who fight on your side?”

She paused, and hoped he didn’t read too much into it. Staring at the contract, she couldn’t help but feel outmatched by all of this. She, who had been preparing for nearly two decades for these exact events, felt uncertain. Did she trust her own heart, when confronted with ancient troubles that had surely defeated better women then her?

“A wise answer,” Wit replied.

“I didn’t give one.”

“A wise answer.” He squeezed her hand. “If you give Odium this contract – and get me the assurance that he cannot break free of this planetary system no matter what happens – then you won’t have to trust the hearts of mortals, Jasnah. Because you’ll have me. And everything I can give you.”

3. Rhythm of War, Ch. 87: Notum steals the show at Adolin's trial by proclaiming that "Honor is not dead so long as he lives in the hearts of men!"

Spoiler

Notum lowered his sheet, then said in a loud voice, “Honor is not dead so long as he lives in the hearts of men!”

Adolin had never heard the statement before, but it seemed a trigger to the honorspren crowd, who began standing up and shouting in outrage – or even in support. Adolin stepped back, amazed by the sudden burst of emotion from the normally stoic spren.

Several officials rushed the floor of the forum, pulling Notum away as he bellowed the words. “Honor is not dead so long as he lives in the hearts of men! Honor is not –”

They dragged him out of the forum, but the commotion continued. Adolin put his hand on his sword, uncertain. Would this turn ugly?

Kelek shrank down in his seat, looking panicked as he put his hands to his ears. He let out a low whine, pathetic and piteous, and began to shake. The honorspren near him called for order among the crowd, shouting that they were causing pain to the Holy One.

Many seemed outraged at Notum’s words, but a sizable number took up his cry – and these were pushed physically out of the forum. There was a tension to this society Adolin hadn’t seen before. The honorspren were no monolith; disagreement and tension swam in deep waters here – far below the surface, but still powerful.

4. Rhythm of War, Ch. 110: in a sort of counterpart to the Notum scene above, Navani here realizes that Honor lives on in the hearts of his "children"

Spoiler

I can hear my mother’s tone, the Sibling said. But not my tone. I think it’s because my father is dead.

“Honor….” Navani whispered. “Honor is not … dead. He lives inside the hearts … of his children….”

Does he? Truly? It seemed a plea, not a challenge.

Does he? Navani searched deep. Was what she’d been doing honorable? Creating fabrials? Imprisoning spren? Could she really say that? Odium’s tone rang in her ears, though she’d stopped humming its inverse.

Then, a pure song. Rising up from within her. Orderly, powerful. Had she done harm without realizing it? Possibly. Had she made mistakes? Certainly. But she’d been trying to help. That was her journey. A journey to discover, learn, and make the world better.

Honor’s song welled up inside her, and she sang it.

Tier Two: Passages hinting at the importance of -- and/or a Shardic fight for market share within -- the hearts of men

5. The Way of Kings, Ch. 45: historians/theologians speculate in sort of the right direction in thinking that Voidbringers could take up residence in men's hearts

Spoiler

“What were the Voidbringers?” Now that Jasnah was actually answering, perhaps she’d say. “What were they really?”

Jasnah studied her with a curious expression. “Nobody knows for sure. Most scholars consider them, like Urithiru, mere myths, while theologians accept them as counterparts of the Almighty – monsters that dwelled in the hearts of men, much as the Almighty once lived there.”

Most people in the cities, however, saw the Voidbringers as spirits who stalked at night, a kind of evil spren that invaded the hearts of men and made them do terrible things. When a good man grew angry, it was the work of a Voidbringer.

6. Mistborn: Secret History, Part 6, Ch. 4: Fuzz implores Kelsier to quit toying around with the hearts of men

Spoiler

Kelsier! Preservation said, his voice strengthening. Do better than you have before! They called you their god, and you were casual with their faith! The hearts of men are NOT YOUR TOYS.

“I …” Kelsier licked his lips. “I understand. My lord.”

Do better, Kelsier, Preservation commanded, his voice fading. If the end comes, get them below ground. I might help. And remember … remember what I told you, so long ago … Do what I cannot, Kelsier….

SURVIVE.

7. Elantris, Ch. 60: Hrathen feels conflicted about the potential destruction of Teod; one upside he considers is that "The hearts of men would increase in faith."

I ... don't really get this one, but it seems important.

Spoiler

King Eventeo stood in the distance, a small honor guard surrounding him. He bowed his head as Dilaf approached. The monk smiled, preparing his knife. Eventeo thought he was presenting his country for surrender – he didn’t realize that he was offering it up for sacrifice.

Hrathen walked beside Dilaf, thinking about necessity and duty. Men would die, true, but their loss would not be meaningless. The entire Fjordell Empire would grow stronger for the victory over Teod. The hearts of men would increase in faith. It was the same thing Hrathen himself had done in Arelon. He had tried to convert people for political reasons, using politics and popularity. He had bribed Telrii to convert, lending no effort toward saving the man’s soul. It was the same thing. What was a nation of unbelievers when compared with all of Shu-Dereth?

Yet even as he rationalized, his stomach grew sick.

8. Warbreaker, Ch. 21: Vasher reminds Nightblood that his temptation trick doesn't the hearts of men who are pure

Spoiler

You didn’t let me kill him, Nightblood said, annoyed.

No, Vasher said. Corpses, remember?

And … two ran away from me. That’s not right.

You cannot tempt the hearts of men who are pure, Nightblood. No matter how much he explained that concept, it seemed beyond the sword’s ability to comprehend.

9. The Way of Kings, Ch. 38: after Kaladin takes in the Stormlight Teft offered and begins to heal, Teft uses an exclamation about the Almighty living in mens' hearts

Rereading this line after RoW, it feels like incredible foreshadowing for the whole "Honor is not dead so long as he lives in the hearts of men" thing.

Spoiler

“My God,” Teft said, realizing he was trembling. “Almighty, cast from heaven to dwell in our hearts … It is true.” He bowed his head to the rock floor, squeezing his eyes shut, tears leaking from the corners.

10. Rhythm of War, Ch. 114: newly-Ascended Todium realizes what a risk Cultivation took given her inability to see the hearts of men

Spoiler

“They showed you this possibility, I assume,” Taravangian said, looking at infinity. “But this isn’t nearly as … certain as I imagined it. It shows you things that can happen, but not the hearts of those who act...

Tier Three - All the other interesting "hearts" references I found

• Way of Kings
    • Ch. 22: Dalinar, citing the in-world The Way of Kings: Dueling someone because they claim I’m a coward doesn’t change their beliefs. It might stop them from making the claims, but it doesn’t change hearts.
    • Ch. 29: Shallan making an argument that Taravangian didn't when debating religion with Jasnah: Our hearts, Brightness. I believe because I feel something, a closeness to the Almighty, a peace that comes when I live my faith. (Jasnah pushes back) But didn’t you yourself argue that the way we act – the way we feel about right and wrong – was a defining attribute of our humanity? You used our innate morality to prove your point. So how can you discard my feelings?
    • Epilogue: Hoid, before concluding that men actually value novelty/timeliness the most: In our hearts, we want to believe in – and would choose – great accomplishment and virtue. That’s why our lies, particularly to ourselves, are so beautiful.
  • Words of Radiance, Interlude-12: Brother Lhan getting the symbolism of the Oathgate just comically wrong: They passed into the Circle of Memories, a round room with ten lamps on the walls, one for each of the ancient Epoch Kingdoms. An eleventh lamp represented the Tranquiline Halls, and a large ceremonial keyhole set into the wall represented the need for ardents to ignore borders, and look only at the hearts of men … or something like that. He wasn’t sure, honestly.
  • Oathbringer, Ch. 91: Tukks responding to Kal's reluctance to hurt opposing soldiers: Means your sane. I’ll take ten unskilled men with earnest hearts over one callous idiot who thinks this is all a game.
  • Rhythm of War
    • Ch. 4: Shallan recalling Mraize's description of the Sons of Honor: Mraize had explained about this group and their efforts to bring back the Heralds – who had actually never been gone. Gavilar had led them along, used their resources – and their hearts – to further his own goals.
    • Ch. 74: Venli disagreeing with Lirin about the value of Kal's example: “Or maybe they simply need something to keep them going, surgeon. A symbol they can trust when they can’t trust their own hearts.”
  • Elantris
    • Ch. 9: Dilaf, with a prophecy he intends to self-fulfill: Jaddeth will not wait while our arteths preach His name against the unyielding walls of Teo hearts.
    • Ch. 18: Hrathen tasking Dilaf with turning people agaisnt Shu-Korath: I will speak second, and my speech will offer logic. You, however, are more passionate – and their disgust for Shu-Korath must first come from their hearts.
    • Ch. 32: Roial commending Sarene on putting a team together: “Ah, Princess,” Roial said, “we’ve come to rely on you so much in these last few weeks. You crept into our hearts and did what no one else, even myself, could have done – you unified us."
    • Ch. 36: Hrathen preaching after his faked healing from the Shaod: “People of Arelon!” he yelled. “Know ye this day who is Master! Let your hearts and souls be guided by the religion which can offer evidence of divine support.
  • Mistborn
    • Well of Ascension, Ch. 29: Oreseur warning Vin about bad-boy Zane: “However, most kandra are very good judges of character. When you practice imitation for as long as I have, you learn to see to the hearts of men. I do not like what I have seen of Zane."
    • Secret History, Part Two, Ch. 2: Kelsier recognizes Ruin's game: He continued to follow the Well’s pulses. These trips gave him cryptic clues to Ruin’s motives and plots. He sensed a familiar pattern to the things it changed – for Ruin seemed to be doing what Kelsier himself had done: coopting a religion. Ruin was manipulating the hearts of the people by changing their lore and their books.
    • Shadows of Self, Ch. 20: Wax realizes the Bleeder will expose the kandra through their attempts to save the Harmony's reputation: “She knows what you’re going to do, TenSoon. What you’ve done.” He felt cold, and met the kandra’s inhuman eyes. “She’s planned that you would send your kandra to try to win back the hearts and minds of the people. That exposes you. Her next step is to bring them down.

Interested to hear others' theories on the importance of the hearts of men.

18 minutes ago, mdross81 said:

After researching this, I'm fairly certain that when Shards come into conflict with one another, the major battlefield is not a physical one so much as a battle for a greater number of hearts that are open to or attuned to that a particular Shard.

I don't really feel like I agree. I think it's just a theme Brandon likes, and so has mentioned a couple times. (Note that I'm talking about the greater Cosmere here; it's been brought up in suspiciously similar ways often enough in Stormlight that I could definitely accept something special going on in this case.)

20 minutes ago, mdross81 said:

The Way of Kings, Ch. 38: after Kaladin takes in the Stormlight Teft offered and begins to heal, Teft uses an exclamation about the Almighty living in mens' hearts

Rereading this line after RoW, it feels like incredible foreshadowing for the whole "Honor is not dead so long as he lives in the hearts of men" thing.

Now that is a good catch, nice! Haven't seen this quote brought up before. Very curious.

Tangential note, for those who have read Aether of Night:

Spoiler

Makes me think of the Twins. Probably just what I said above, a theme Brandon likes that he's played with a couple times, but keeping it in the back of my mind, just in case. 

15 minutes ago, LewsTherinTelescope said:

I think it's just a theme Brandon likes, and so has mentioned a couple times. (Note that I'm talking about the greater Cosmere here; it's been brought up in suspiciously similar ways often enough in Stormlight that I could definitely accept something special going on in this case.)

I can buy that this is a more Roshar-centric tactic of Shard conflict. Although I think there’s something going on along these lines on Sel too, what with the Fjordell folks thinking that Jaddeth will only rise once every living soul is united  under Fjordell rule. Obviously we don’t have whole Shards in conflict, but certainly their remnants in the form of the skaze. 

11 minutes ago, mdross81 said:

Although I think there’s something going on along these lines on Sel too, what with the Fjordell folks thinking that Jaddeth will only rise once every living soul is united  under Fjordell rule. Obviously we don’t have whole Shards in conflict, but certainly their remnants in the form of the skaze. 

That's possible, but I think it's more likely just that the skaze, being Splinters of the Shard of conquest, like conquering things. Especially considering how they keep narrowing the area that supposedly needs to be conquered. "Jaddeth will return once the whole world serves him!.... okay once the whole region serves him!.... fine, fine, once everywhere between us and this mountain range serves him!"

Guess we might find out in the Elantris sequels, since WoBs say that the book will take place with the Fjordell making up that last interpretation and declaring they have been successful after all and Jaddeth will return. 

Just adding what I think is some additional support for my OP about how the conflict on Roshar turns, in a significant way, on the hearts of men.

Here's Kabsal (not the most reliable source, I know) answering Shallan's question about what the Voidbringers were:

"They were creatures of terrible destructive power, forged in Damnation, created from hate."

"By whom?" Shallan asked.

"What?"

"Who made them? I mean, the Almighty wasn't likely to have 'created something from hate.' So what made them"

"Everything has its opposite, Shallan. The Almighty is a force of good. To balance his goodness, the cosmere needed the Voidbringers as his opposite."

"So the more good that the Almighty did, the more evil he created as a by-product? What's the point of doing any good at all if it just creates more evil?

"I see Jasnah has continued your training in philosphy."

"That's not philosophy," Shallan said. "That's simple logic."

He sighed. "I don't think you want to get into the deep theology of this. Suffice it to say that the Almighty's pure goodness created the Voidbringers, but men may choose good without creating evil because as mortals they have a dual nature. Thus, the only way for good to increase in the cosmere is for men to create it - in that way good may come to outweigh evil."

Now, to deal with the caveat right away, Kabsal may just be making this stuff up. But, it doesn't read that way to me. Whether he's actually spouting Vorin doctrine here - or possibly hinting at what he, as a Ghostblood, believes - is another question. But he seems genuine, especially because shortly after this he gets all heated about how he thinks Jasnah is just trying to undermine Vorinism with her Voidbringer research.

I'm really intrigued by this passage about how men, as mortals with a "dual nature" may choose to do good without creating evil. The implication is that the Almighty (Honor) is singular in nature. And that, because of that nature, any good that he tries to do is somehow also a source of an opposing evil. And the "dual nature" of men is tied to them being mortal - so I take that to mean something about how men's spiritual aspect is separate from their physical/cognitive aspect. But why would the singular combination of spiritual/cognitive/physical in Honor mean that doing good would also result in an opposing force? Is this some kind of conservation of energy? Action/Reaction?

Anyway, I think the above is further support for the idea that there is a pitched battle going on for the hearts of men on Roshar.

Another piece of evidence is in the Starfalls vision, when the Stoneward is talking to Dalinar:

"I'm fine," Dalinar said. "Alethka ... Alethela. You live there?"

"It is our duty and our privilege," the woman said, "to stay vigilant for the Desolation. One kingdom to study the arts of war so that the others might have peace. We die so that you may live. It has ever been our place."

Dalinar stood still, sorting through that.

"All who can fight are needed," the woman said. "And all who have a desire to fight should be compelled to come to Alethela. Fighting, even this fighting against the Ten Deaths, changes a person. We can teach you so that it will not destroy you. Come to us."

This reads to me as a recognition that men who feel an urge to fight (*cough* Dalinar *cough* Kaladin *cough*) are susceptible to Odium's influence; that their hearts are open to Odium. So the KR wanted to identify those people to make sure they didn't become weapons for the enemy.

45 minutes ago, Ixthos said:

Also, something to consider, the Fused who they call El is very interested in the human heart, and what it can be turned to ....

There's also Elithanathile which is one of the names of the almighty and maybe refers to El? The name seems very singer like with he "he/she who <does thing>" meaning `He who transforms`.

Edited by Sylvass
missed a word

18 hours ago, Sylvass said:

There's also Elithanathile which is one of the names of the almighty and maybe refers to El? The name seems very singer like with he "he/she who <does thing>" meaning `He who transforms`.

El was He Who Quiets. Might have more than one title but it seems unlikely

11 minutes ago, Sylvass said:

There's no reason why that couldn't change over time. Especially since his name was taken from him and his songs were taken for some reason.

It was because of this

"I had my title and my rhythms stripped from me for daring insist they should not be killed, but should instead be reconditioned. Repurposed."

5 minutes ago, Khyrindor said:

I think you should look at the back cover of the Way of Kings 

Good call. The back cover blurbs aren’t included in the kindle editions so I missed this reference:

I long for the days before the Last Desolation.

The age before the Heralds abandoned us and the Knights Radiant turned against us. A time when there was still magic in the world and honor in the hearts of men.

First, I think this correlates with something I thought about for some time: that Shards seem to fight over humans as well as power. Rayse-Odium actually sort of explains that - he says that he makes the people of Roshar fight to prepare them to the bigger war - the war for who'll be the only god, I think. Anyway, I believe that the idea of "Honor lives on in the hearts of men" was brought up by Syl somewhere in WoR, when Kaladin said he needs to know if honor is truly dead. Unfortunately, I don't have the book so I can't check.

26 minutes ago, Trutharchivist said:

First, I think this correlates with something I thought about for some time: that Shards seem to fight over humans as well as power. Rayse-Odium actually sort of explains that - he says that he makes the people of Roshar fight to prepare them to the bigger war - the war for who'll be the only god, I think. Anyway, I believe that the idea of "Honor lives on in the hearts of men" was brought up by Syl somewhere in WoR, when Kaladin said he needs to know if honor is truly dead. Unfortunately, I don't have the book so I can't check.

Good memory. I found the scene. It's in WoR Ch. 41 (Scars)

"Come out anyway. Stop hiding, Kaladin. Be."

Lopen and Rock whooped below in excitement. Kaladin stared outward at the blue sky. "I have to know," he whispered.

"Know?"

"You ask me why I protect Dalinar. I have to know if he really is what he seems, Syl. I have to know if one them lives up to his reputation. That will tell me--"

"Tell you?" she asked, becoming the image of a full-size young woman standing on the wall before him. She was nearly as tall as he was, her dress fading to mist. "Tell you what?"

"If honor is dead," Kaladin whispered.

"He is," Syl said. "But he lives on in men. And in me."

I just made it to the Battle of the Tower in my WoK reread, and it's really cool to see the moment when, it seems, honor truly does return to the hearts of men - specifically Kaladin as he is leaping over the chasm and sucks in the stormlight from the listener's beards:

Kaladin breathed in.

Like the power of salvation itself - like rays of sunlight from the eyes of the Almighty - Stormlight exploded from those gemstones. It surged through the air, pulled in visible streams, like glowing columns of luminescent smoke. Twisting and turning and spiraling like tiny funnel clouds until they slammed into him.

And the storm came to life again.

Chills. Then the chapter ends with a quick switch to Teft's POV and storming Moash gets to be the one who says it: "Something just changed. Something important."

I note the use of the word salvation in this passage because of what Hoid tells Jasnah in the WoR Epilogue: "You'll find God in the same place you're going to find salvation from this mess. Inside the hearts of men."

And it's that return of honor to the heart of a human that brings the storm to life again hinting at what Odium fears - a way for Honor to be reforged and taken up.

• 1 month later...

Super cool!

I noticed another minor mention in the Mistborn Adventure Game - on pg. 264, in the steel inquisitor artwork that prefaces the chapter "Treatise Metallurgic," there's a line set by itself in the middle of the page that reads:

"Though you strike out their eyes, they shall see the hearts of men."

(here's the full translation of all the text)

15 minutes ago, TheKingofCrimsonesia said:

Super cool!

I noticed another minor mention in the Mistborn Adventure Game - on pg. 264, in the steel inquisitor artwork that prefaces the chapter "Treatise Metallurgic," there's a line set by itself in the middle of the page that reads:

"Though you strike out their eyes, they shall see the hearts of men."

(here's the full translation of all the text)

Nice! Haven't seen that line before. Thanks for pointing it out.

Maybe a reference to emotional allomancy powers?

6 hours ago, mdross81 said:

Nice! Haven't seen that line before. Thanks for pointing it out.

Maybe a reference to emotional allomancy powers?

The eye spikes are steel spikes granting steelshight so I doubt it