Kaladin and worldhopping

Retrac

Ok so in one of the letters from Harmony in RoW says

"I have begun searching for a pathway out of this conundrum by seeking the ideal person to act on my behalf. Someone who embodies both Preservation and Ruin. A....sword, you might say, who can both protect and kill."

Did anyone else immediately think of Kaladin? Rather then a sword maybe a....Spear? Thoughts?

Just now, Retrac said:

In BoM it says that was is more of ruin then Preservation.

I don't remember that (wouldn't be the first time I forget something), what chapter was it?

Also, Kal is more of Honour than Ruin which is worse

Just now, Retrac said:

At the moment I can't remember the chapter. I put the quote in above. Found it on the coppermind.

Still don't remember, who was talking?

You have a point with Honor. But he is also bound to an honor spren.

And? If anything it makes things worse

Also Kal is kind of on the wrong world to be influenced by Harmony

And after all these years of seeing pathianism he's probably fed up with spears

6 hours ago, LewsTherinTelescope said:

Wax literally calls himself Harmony's sword.

(SoS 25)

And canonically, Wax saying this would occur after Harmony had this discussion with Hoid about 'crafting a sword'.

The timeline isn't set in stone yet, but I believe that at this point when Hoid & Harmony are exchanging letters Wax would be a young man in the Roughs trying to prove himself as a lawman. Strong evidence for Wax being the sword Harmony speaks of, I think. 

Just now, honorblades said:

And canonically, Wax saying this would occur after Harmony had this discussion with Hoid about 'crafting a sword'.

The timeline isn't set in stone yet, but I believe that at this point when Hoid & Harmony are exchanging letters Wax would be a young man in the Roughs trying to prove himself as a lawman. Strong evidence for Wax being the sword Harmony speaks of, I think. 

Does someone remember how many years before Alloy Wax met Leslie?

2 minutes ago, honorblades said:

Yes, Lessie and Wax met 16 years before the events of Alloy of Law. 

Huh. A significant number for Scadrial. I never noticed that before. 

Then TLM would probably end about 20 years after  which -if the letter between Ob and RoW- is too short for Era 2 to finished by the end of SA7 unless Brandon goes back to the 15 Rosharan years gap between 5 and 6. (A Roshar year is about 1.1 earth year 'cause the days are 20h and there shouldn't be more than 1 year before the end of SA 5 and no more than 2 years between the beginning of SA 6 and the end of SA7, that's 13 Rosharan years or 14,3 Earth years, we don't know how long a Scadrialese year is but it's supposed to be close to an Earth year so that's still clearly not enough)

2 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Then TLM would probably end about 20 years after  which -if the letter between Ob and RoW- is too short for Era 2 to finished by the end of SA7 unless Brandon goes back to the 15 Rosharan years gap between 5 and 6. (A Roshar year is about 1.1 earth year 'cause the days are 20h and there shouldn't be more than 1 year before the end of SA 5 and no more than 2 years between the beginning of SA 6 and the end of SA7, that's 13 Rosharan years or 14,3 Earth years, we don't know how long a Scadrialese year is but it's supposed to be close to an Earth year so that's still clearly not enough)

So, here's my thought process. 

16 years before Alloy of Law, Harmony sends Lessie to meet Wax.

Shadows of Self occurs 1 year after AoL, and that is when Wax states "I'm not Harmony's hands, I'm His sword."

Bands of Mourning occurs 6 months after SoS.

I would imagine The Lost Metal takes place shortly after BoM, less than a year in my estimate. 

So for the events we are concerned with in Era 2, this is a total time period of 18 years, roughly. 

Harmony and Hoid have the conversation about Harmony crafting a sword in RoW, SA5 happens basically immediately after, then there is a roughly 20 year time skip between SA5 and SA6. 

Era 2 will occur either during the time skip, or shortly thereafter. Perhaps SA6 or even SA7, but we just don't know yet. 

I think that leaves plenty of time for the timeline to workout as I stated above. 

7 minutes ago, honorblades said:

Harmony and Hoid have the conversation about Harmony crafting a sword in RoW, SA5 happens basically immediately after, then there is a roughly 20 year time skip between SA5 and SA6.

The most recent WoB I could find about the time gap

AbrahamSTINKIN

Has he hinted at how long of a time gap it's going to be [between the two Stormlight arcs]? Are there going to be the same characters in each sequence?

Brandon Sanderson

Time gap is around ten years, and the back five will largely include the same characters, but the focus will be more on the Heralds.

CenturionRower

Is this a minor spoiler? I was under the impression Moash was going to attempt and kill them all. Or if only the king of the Heralds needed to die. Its possible I misunderstood that part.

Brandon Sanderson

Dead people can still be main focuses of books in Stormlight because of the way I do the flashbacks.

This isn't a promise that they do die, or that they live. Only a note that me announcing someone gets a flashback book isn't an indication they live to that book. Only that they have some interesting events in their past that I intend to delve into.

General Reddit 2020 (Jan. 10, 2020)

Of course the annonced time gap has changed in the past

1 hour ago, Draigwyrdd said:

I feel like at the moment we're meant to think Wax is Harmony's sword, but I also kind of think that it might be a misdirection and we'll see the true champion in Era 3.

I think Wax is who Harmony was thinking about in the letter/is an evolution of that thought, but I agree he may not end up being it in the final form, so to speak. Failed attempt, which makes what happened with Lessie feel even more cruel, tbh.

Edited by LewsTherinTelescope

4 minutes ago, LewsTherinTelescope said:

I think Wax is who Harmony was thinking about in the letter/is an evolution of that thought, but I agree he may not end up being it in the final form, so to speak. Failed attempt, which makes what happened with Lessie feel even more cruel, tbh.

Yeah. When I read about what happened with Lessie I had to read it a few times because I just kept thinking, "Harmony did what?"