Shardplate

KSub

So we learned that after Ba-ado-mishrams imprisonment the radiants and their spren decided to break their oaths. This is what created the all the shardblades.

So what about all the shardplate? In RoW we learned that shardplate is made of numerous lesser spren, the non-sapient ones like windspren, flamespren and gloryspren. 

They couldn't decide if they wanted to be sacrificed and no one, spren or human, seems to care about that. I wonder what happened to the spren though. Is there a dead eye equivalent?

12 minutes ago, KSub said:

So we learned that after Ba-ado-mishrams imprisonment the radiants and their spren decided to break their oaths. This is what created the all the shardblades.

So what about all the shardplate? In RoW we learned that shardplate is made of numerous lesser spren, the non-sapient ones like windspren, flamespren and gloryspren. 

They couldn't decide if they wanted to be sacrificed and no one, spren or human, seems to care about that. I wonder what happened to the spren though. Is there a dead eye equivalent?

I think Syl at one point (maybe in her interlude, though I’m pretty sure it’s in a conversation with Kaladin) says that the Shardplate spren are more content than the Blade spren, so my interpretation is that they’re less intelligent and therefore less uncomfortable. 

1 minute ago, Lightwing8888 said:

I think Syl at one point (maybe in her interlude, though I’m pretty sure it’s in a conversation with Kaladin) says that the Shardplate spren are more content than the Blade spren, so my interpretation is that they’re less intelligent and therefore less uncomfortable. 

It was her interlude

1 hour ago, Bejardin1250 said:

I mean the plates still around

after they broke their oaths they probably coudnt dismiss it 

and if it wasn’t previously summoned nothing happened

you would never find a deadeye plate spren b/c there are none 

What is your point?

The true spren turned into deadeyes but their blades are still there. If the plate was made of spren what happened to them?

And if the deadeyes can be revived what will happen to the plate?

22 minutes ago, KSub said:

What is your point?

The true spren turned into deadeyes but their blades are still there. If the plate was made of spren what happened to them?

They’re there ...Just plate.

What they connected to is dead... gone.

there doesn’t seem to be anything to revive 

this seems to tie in to a tangent of are lesser spren connected to the radiant or his spren.

On 2/15/2021 at 8:42 PM, Bejardin1250 said:

They’re there ...Just plate.

What they connected to is dead... gone.

there doesn’t seem to be anything to revive 

this seems to tie in to a tangent of are lesser spren connected to the radiant or his spren.

Yea I believe it is if they were forged into to the armor. Melted down and formed. 

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, apepi said:

Do we know if there are more shardblades than shardplate?

Just now, Bzhydack said:

We can assume, due to fact that not many Radiants Reach 4th Oath, and this is when they get Plate.

If there was a big imbalance between the number of Plates and Blades we'd probably know it

20 minutes ago, mathiau said:

If there was a big imbalance between the number of Plates and Blades we'd probably know it

All the countries that we know of having blades and plate either have the same number, or less plate, we have yet to see more plate then blades.

47 minutes ago, Frustration said:

All the countries that we know of having blades and plate either have the same number, or less plate, we have yet to see more plate then blades.

It's less likely for someone with only plate to die than someone with only blade, meaning plate is more likely to be passed down and not owned by any one kingdom. 

2 hours ago, The Unknown Order said:

It's less likely for someone with only plate to die than someone with only blade, meaning plate is more likely to be passed down and not owned by any one kingdom. 

Considering that a person selling their plate can be considered treason, I have to doubt that.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Order said:

Nothing is ever owned by a kingdom it is always passed down from person to child

25 minutes ago, Bejardin1250 said:

Nothing is ever owned by a kingdom it is always passed down from person to child

I think he mean stolen

3 hours ago, Frustration said:

I still think it should be more imbalanced, like, imbalanced enough that people point out plates are rarer. But we know the number of blades decreased over the millennia maybe the number of plate didn't or was slower to decrease.

Have we heard anything about heralds having shardplate or anything like that? I know shardblades were kind of copied off of honorblades..was shardplate copied off of anything? Do we think it was just an invention that spren thought of?

9 hours ago, apepi said:

Have we heard anything about heralds having shardplate or anything like that? I know shardblades were kind of copied off of honorblades..was shardplate copied off of anything? Do we think it was just an invention that spren thought of?

We haven't heard about Herald with plates so they probably didn't have them

On 2/15/2021 at 7:16 PM, KSub said:

What is your point?

Deadeyes are only seen in shadesmar when they, as a blade, are dismissed. Whenever they are summoned, they disappear out of shadesmar. Since current shardplate can't be dismissed the spren, or what's left of them, are trapped in the physical realm.

3 hours ago, Nellac said:

Deadeyes are only seen in shadesmar when they, as a blade, are dismissed. Whenever they are summoned, they disappear out of shadesmar. Since current shardplate can't be dismissed the spren, or what's left of them, are trapped in the physical realm.

Actually, this makes me wonder. What if a plate was completely broken, so the was literally nothing left. Would the spren appear in the cognitive realm? Or would the plate just be lost forever?

On 3/4/2021 at 11:32 AM, The Unknown Order said:

Actually, this makes me wonder. What if a plate was completely broken, so the was literally nothing left. Would the spren appear in the cognitive realm? Or would the plate just be lost forever?

I assume that the windspren (as an example) would be released and return to being normal windspren.

On 2/28/2021 at 4:32 PM, mathiau said:

I still think it should be more imbalanced, like, imbalanced enough that people point out plates are rarer. But we know the number of blades decreased over the millennia maybe the number of plate didn't or was slower to decrease.

It makes sense to me that a full set of shardplate would be pretty hard to lose, especially considering you can grow the set back from a single piece. Goin on a super dangerous quest? Leave a small piece behind so that even if you die, the plate isn't lost.