Dalinar Dawnshard

Ba-Ado-Fisherman

Just a little something that popped into my head recently:

So we know that one Dawnshard is different from the others.  We also know that Gavilar had been seeing visions before Dalinar did, very similarly, until he died.  Then the visions started to come to Dalinar.  We know that both Gavilar and Dalinar are descendants of Sadees aka Sunmaker.  There is one very strong connection between these 3 people.  They all were driven with an insatiable desire to unite people (some would call it conquest, but I digress).  Also, "I am Unity".  

Ok, so what I'm trying to get at is there is something special about these Kholins, obviously.  But even more so with the head of the Kholin family.  Sunmaker, then Gavilar, then Dalinar after his brother's death.  Keeping with the theme of ancestral magical abilities in Mistborn, could this Dawnshard (Unity) be the one that is different from the others, being passed on through blood in the Kholin family tree?  There certainly is a pattern of "Uniting" among the Kholins. 

So yeah, pretty crack-poty theory, but among all of the crazy Dawnshard theories, I personally like the Dalinar/Unity one the most, and this could give it slightly more credibility.

Edited by Ba-Ado-Fisherman

With Gavilar and Dalinar, they were bonded to the Stormfather, and the visions kept literally telling them to unite everyone.

For the Sunmaker, he pretty much just wanted to conquer the world, which plenty of people tried (the Shin even tried their hand at it once or twice). Also, the ties to the Sunmaker are... questionable, to my understanding (all of the highprinces try and tie their authority back to him, which means at least pretending they've got a direct line of descent).

2 hours ago, teknopathetic said:

Dalinar does see a light when he hears Jasnah read The Way of Kings. Some people theorize that that, along with weird Nohadon visions, is related to the Dawnshard Unite. 

He was unique among Kings and Surgebinders, being a Dawnshard is possible.

On 2/16/2021 at 0:49 AM, Honorless said:

I don't think Bonds or Dawnshards are inheritable. Bonds, at least, are confirmed transferable though. Dawnshards might just become inactive if the current host dies.

Hence, "one Dawnshard is different from the others".  Sure it's a weak theory, but there has to be something there with the Kholin bloodline.

On 2/15/2021 at 0:45 PM, LewsTherinTelescope said:

With Gavilar and Dalinar, they were bonded to the Stormfather, and the visions kept literally telling them to unite everyone.

For the Sunmaker, he pretty much just wanted to conquer the world, which plenty of people tried (the Shin even tried their hand at it once or twice). Also, the ties to the Sunmaker are... questionable, to my understanding (all of the highprinces try and tie their authority back to him, which means at least pretending they've got a direct line of descent).

Gavilar was bonded to the Stormfather? huh?  If that's true then I'm surprised I didn't know that.  Also, all 10 Alethi kingdoms were formed by Sadees' 10 sons, so the Kholins are direct descendants, but so are all highprinces.

25 minutes ago, Ba-Ado-Fisherman said:

Gavilar was bonded to the Stormfather? huh?  If that's true then I'm surprised I didn't know that.  Also, all 10 Alethi kingdoms were formed by Sadees' 10 sons, so the Kholins are direct descendants, but so are all highprinces.

It's more "was bounding" than "was bonded" but yes, he was.

Also no double posts

3 hours ago, Ba-Ado-Fisherman said:

They're theoretically direct descendants, but like, kingdoms do have a habit of people coming in from a far-off branch of the family with questionable descent and taking over on occasion. (The Kholin bros themselves were pretty much just some random citylords that belonged to the House until they conquered Kholinar and wiped out several other branches of the family, to my understanding?)

15 minutes ago, Ba-Ado-Fisherman said:

No.  The Nahel bond is not formed until the words are spoken.

That part is factually wrong, a any bound between a physical being and a spren-like being is a Nahel bound and they can be form before the words are spoken

Also about Galivar

Ted Herman (paraphrased)

Has Dalinar been on the Bondsmith path for a long time? How about Gavilar?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes to both.

Brandon said that Gavilar had been on the Bondsmith path for longer than Dalinar has been.

Arcanum Unbounded Hoboken signing (Dec. 3, 2016)
Edited by mathiau
better wob

Just now, mathiau said:

That part is factually wrong, a any bound between a physical being and a spren-like being is a Nahel bound and they can be form before the words are spoken

Also about Galivar

Just accept the fact that you're wrong for once.  Gavilar was not a Radiant, and he was not bonded to the Stormfather.  End of discussion.

2 minutes ago, mathiau said:

I never said Gavilar was a Radiant.

FINE, he was not BONDED.  Man, I'm just gonna stop responding to you on this forum because every time I do, it leads to pointless, petty arguments over tiny details.  We're not talking about anything related to my original theory at this point.  Alright, this is done now.