Isaac Stewart's artist page

King of Herdaz

I'm making this post to preserve a conversation on Discord (that began here) about this topic.

Isaac Stewart is the artist with the most art on the Coppermind (well over 500 files) and as such, his artist page will have to be organized in a different way than usual. The current plan (originally suggested by @Argent) is to organize the art into subpages (using DynamicPageList) and include highlights of each type on the main page along with all of the art that does not fit into any of the subpages.

This is a list of the types of art that we have from Isaac (not that we should have a subpage for each one, just a preliminary list for us to divide up):

• Leatherbound covers
  • Novella covers
  • Maps
    • Cropped Maps
    • Annotated maps (there aren't very many of these)
  • Interior art
    • Cropped interior art
    • Annotated interior art
  • Metal symbols (there are several versions of each metal in each of the Metallic Arts)
  • Aons
  • Glyphs
    • Phonemes
    • Heralds
    • Radiant
    • Surgebinding
    • Voidbinding
    • many more
  • Women's script (letters and words)
  • Thaylen script
  • Stormlight chapter icons
    • Herald faces
  • World icons
  • Dragonsteel logos
  • Random stuff like Doomslug

Concept:
My current idea is to have subpages for maps, interior art, Stormlight symbols, (possibly an Aon subpage as well, but maybe Glyphs/index can be used instead of that) and Metal symbols. All of the covers, world icons, logos, and random stuff would go on the main page (organized accordingly).

I think chapter icons should probably go on the main page, but I'm not so sure about this.
The maps and interior art subpages would be divided by series (all on the same page), with each of those sections split between cropped/annotated and original images.

Execution:
We will need to make sure all of Isaac's art is using |artist=[[Isaac Stewart]] instead of |#artist=Isaac Stewart . This will stop the gadget from automatically adding them to the artist page every time someone edits it. Most of the art is already using |artist=[[Isaac Stewart]], but there are a handful (I think 61) that are using |#artist=Isaac Stewart. A Keeper can easily fix this using Search and Replace.

We will also need to apply a category (probably manually) to all cropped art to make that part of the plan work.

For the next step we have two options:

Option 1:
A side effect of all of the art using |artist=[[Isaac Stewart]] is that it will all be included in Category: Manual artist link. We can easily use this category with version of DynamicPageList that is currently installed on the wiki to create lists that update automatically.

The downside of this method is that it is kind of clunky and that it is possible that files from other artists will slip through.

Here is a simple sample code to generate a list of all metal symbols that have a manual artist link (and are presumably from Isaac) using the current extension:

<DynamicPageList>
mode=gallery
category=File with manual artist link
category=Metals
category=Symbols
notcategory=Meta
imagesperrow=7
namespace=File
imageheight=150
order=ascending
</DynamicPageList>

Option 2:
If we install the expanded version of DynamicPageList on the wiki it will let us use the linksto= parameter. (it will also give us some other nifty features, but this is the most relevant one) 

Here is a simple sample code to generate a list of all metal symbols that link to Isaac Stewart:

<DynamicPageList>
mode=gallery
linksto=Isaac Stewart
category=Metals
category=Symbols
notcategory=Meta
imagesperrow=7
namespace=File
imageheight=150
order=ascending
</DynamicPageList>

Note: with this extension there are a couple other ways to format this, I chose this one because it is the most similar to what we have now. For full documentation see here.

I've been playing around with this in my sandbox, if you want to see what this looks like. (I made it all collapsable temporarily for convenience.)

There are still some more things to be worked out, such as what will go on the main page, but for now here's this.

Edited by King of Herdaz