Why did Lezian the Pursuer say "damn"?

Bread Simulacrumbs

17 hours ago, Daggon Forescout said:

You guys are dipping your toes into a topic which is pretty prominent in the historical community. It's generally accepted that's it makes sense to localize accents to the target audience, but you inevitably lose a great deal of historical context. Let's say for example that you're making a tv show about classical Rome for an American audience. If you give everyone an Italian accent, Americans probably aren't going to be able to tell if someone is noble or not based on their speech. If they use upper/lower class accents that Americans are familiar with (British being the go-to), then it helps people get more immersed in the story. Of course in reality, most Roman nobility would have spoken Greek amongst themselves, which would have been completely unintelligible to their mostly Latin-speaking servants. Is there any way to convey that without having them speak different languages on screen and subtitle everything?

One thing I love about Assassins’ Creed is that they did try to at least do local accents. So Middle Eastern accents for AC1 (except Altair, but that can be argued as an animus glitch; he gets one later), Italian for AC2, actual Mohawk accents in AC3, etc.

Which is what made Unity really inexplicable... (Seriously, UBISOFT is a French company. But no French accents?!)

It definitely makes the experience more immersive for me.

As it is, I know I can’t listen to SA ever. The lack of a ‘Kh’ sound would drive me nuts. I don’t think I’ve ever pronounced Kholin without the ‘Kh.’ Is it REALLY that hard to pronounce?

• 1 month later...
On 2/13/2021 at 0:09 AM, Invocation said:

I'd read it. I can imagine cult leaders having enough juice for one major thing and then they have to relax and build it back up after a while. Politicians, kings, and that one guy in the village that no one can ever stop talking about all being super powerful relative to everyone else.

Well it's not too far from people deriving income, status, influence, etc., through accumulation of "retweets" and "likes" on social media.

It'd also be interesting for the magic system if, like social media based status or for that matter, like Stormlight, it decayed or evaporated over time. Not only do you need to amass a certain amount to do certain things, but you have to do it while people "still care".

The "accumulate resources given one per person" angle is a bit like Breath from Warbreaker, too, except that the people giving it don't lose it (it's not zero sum), or else they have one to give per day (kind of like how we are limited to N reputation upvotes per day on this forum).

22 hours ago, robardin said:

Well it's not too far from people deriving income, status, influence, etc., through accumulation of "retweets" and "likes" on social media.

It'd also be interesting for the magic system if, like social media based status or for that matter, like Stormlight, it decayed or evaporated over time. Not only do you need to amass a certain amount to do certain things, but you have to do it while people "still care".

The "accumulate resources given one per person" angle is a bit like Breath from Warbreaker, too, except that the people giving it don't lose it (it's not zero sum), or else they have one to give per day (kind of like how we are limited to N reputation upvotes per day on this forum).

Is this the magic system of the 17th shard? :P

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2021 at 11:29 AM, AquaRegia said:

I think it's definitely a Braize thing.  I've noted many of the characters who spend the Desolations locked away on Braize have noticeably different speech patterns from the "full-time" Rosharans... and they definitely read as more "contemporary"... in other words, more like modern earthling idiomatic English speakers.  Examples include Ash, Kelek, and Ulim.

On 2/10/2021 at 11:03 AM, Invocation said:

It's presumably something from how many Returns he's been through. The Fused appear to have some serious influence from other planets (they call aluminum by its Selish name of ralkalest, for example), so it probably dates back somewhere there.

These points match with my current tinfoil theory that Ashlynites + Singers at pre-desolation were high level cosmere aware and more 'modern' as compared to current Roshar. So Ash/Kalak and some of the ancient Fused speaking in a more 'modern' way as a clue to that. 

Between having and knowing how to use the Dawnshards and the fact that Ashlynites managed to transport a huge number of people to a new planet makes me think they might have been more advanced than anyone we've seen so far (excluding the far future in Sixth). The use of 'Ralkalest' makes me think that Roshar might even been in contact outside of their system, either directly getting the world through Selish trade or perhaps through inter-cosmere organizations like 17th Shard. If El has been doing the hemalurgy/metal thing prior to his current return, he likely got it from Scandriel (which would have been pre-Lord Ruler Scandriel timeline-wise, which is crazy). Ashlyn might have had a direct history with Yolen even, the end of the Desolations was only 6000yrs after the shattering, the heralds could have been born closer to Shattering than to modern-day Stormlight Archive. 

On 4/14/2021 at 7:01 PM, Could Be Fire said:

(which would have been pre-Lord Ruler Scandriel timeline-wise, which is crazy)

Not just pre-TLR, it'd be around three and a half millennia before TLR was born, at the latest (Aharietiam). Way early.

On 4/14/2021 at 7:01 PM, Could Be Fire said:

the heralds could have been born closer to Shattering than to modern-day Stormlight Archive. 

By our current understanding of the timeline, they'd've been born around 3k Rosharan years post-Shattering, yeah.

44 minutes ago, LewsTherinTelescope said:

Not just pre-TLR, it'd be around three and a half millennia before TLR was born, at the latest (Aharietiam). Way early.

By our current understanding of the timeline, they'd've been born around 3k Rosharan years post-Shattering, yeah.

Thanks for the updated date! It's wild, right? Dalinar is further away in time from Nohadon than the Heralds are to Adolusium being alive. Honestly, that may be part of the reason Sanderson is keeping any and all info about the Herald's early lives/the formation of the Oathpact, etc. under such tight wraps. With RoW suddenly pulling the cosmere to the forefront, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of revelations about humanity's past on Yolen and Ado's Shattering related to the Ashlynite's history. 

Edited by Could Be Fire

1 hour ago, Could Be Fire said:

Thanks for the updated date! It's wild, right? Dalinar is further away in time from Nohadon than the Heralds are to Adolusium being alive. Honestly, that may be part of the reason Sanderson is keeping any and all info about the Herald's early lives/the formation of the Oathpact, etc. under such tight wraps. With RoW suddenly pulling the cosmere to the forefront, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of revelations about humanity's past on Yolen and Ado's Shattering related to the Ashlynite's history. 

Lol, is this the Stormlight version of "Cleopatra is closer to the invention of the iPhone than the building of the Great Pyramid"?