On 27.5.2021 at 10:53 PM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

“You’ll need a card,” Trésor answered. “Ask the not-evil librarians; they can help.”

Hoblim almost turns around at the Alcatraz reference. After a moment of thought he keeps going up, but notes to himself to ask Trésor about Brandon's non-Cosmere works.

He wonders over in the library, and eventually end up in the prose section, reading a fictional roman about people during the days of the Final Emperor. He closes the book after a few pages, disgusted with himself - and the author - and makes himself go to the more scientific portion, to read some essays by Khriss, or something from Silverlight.

On 30.5.2021 at 10:48 PM, AmazingGoob said:

"Hey, wait, do you still want to hear about history?"

On 1.6.2021 at 0:10 AM, Tani said:

"Ummmmmmmbooks. Maybe later?"

Hoblim looks up. "If you want," he tells AmazingGoob, "I'm still curious as to from where you'll start. I'm not sure yet if I'll be able to find interesting books around here."

I just checked and your character's name is Dayen? I wasn't sure if you remembered, and don't remember if you told Hoblim what your name was, but I did remember you told him your shard username.

On 6/2/2021 at 4:12 AM, Trutharchivist said:

Hoblim looks up. "If you want," he tells AmazingGoob, "I'm still curious as to from where you'll start. I'm not sure yet if I'll be able to find interesting books around here."

Let's just assume I told you.

"I don't think it's going to be hard to find interesting books. I mean, imagine! We're in a library from a completely new planet with different cultures and history and references and music. I would think even reading something like a cookbook or a school textbook would be interesting!"

8 hours ago, AmazingGoob said:

"I don't think it's going to be hard to find interesting books. I mean, imagine! We're in a library from a completely new planet with different cultures and history and references and music. I would think even reading something like a cookbook or a school textbook would be interesting!"

Scadrian cooking is primarily French and Italian with a smattering of Norwegian (North) and German (South). Traditional Terris foods would be Nepalese, Himalayan specifically. 

10 hours ago, AmazingGoob said:

"I'm not as sure about that... Scadrial is a lot like earth, with the main differences being the Metallic Arts, Kolos, Kandras and mistwraiths. It can be interesting, but it won't affect the cooking or school books, at least not by much. History, on the other hand..."

He goes to the history shelves and takes a book about the history of the world after the Catacendre. He then gasps as he thinks of something and goes to the main desk.

"Yes, I'd like to aquire a library card. Also, can you tell me where I can find a copy of The Words of Founding?"

You don't know, do you? You can look on a map and think, since this is how you said you'd start. I truly am curious. Logic in this game has it that you should start with our Shard, but we don't know when it came. Generally, part of the question is whether or not you intend to tell religious stories as history. If not, will you talk about prehistory and the evolution of mankind? Or will you try to start from the invention of writing? 

For me, personally, the Persian era - when they fought the Greeks - is where religion and history mix up a bit, because of the book of Esther and my limited historical knowledge of the Persian-Greek wars. So, if I try to explain the world's history, I'll probably start from the invention of writing, confuse the bible and historical records up a bit, and take off more normally around the beginning of the Middle Ages. Though even there, I'll talk a lot about the Jewish people.

On this topic, I recommend Ernst Gombrich's "A Little History of the World". He's pretty much unbiased (at least, so I think) and very orderly.

Edited by Trutharchivist

On 6/4/2021 at 6:33 AM, Trutharchivist said:

"I'm not as sure about that... Scadrial is a lot like earth, with the main differences being the Metallic Arts, Kolos, Kandras and mistwraiths. It can be interesting, but it won't affect the cooking or school books, at least not by much. History, on the other hand..."

He goes to the history shelves and takes a book about the history of the world after the Catacendre. He then gasps as he thinks of something and goes to the main desk.

"Yes, I'd like to aquire a library card. Also, can you tell me where I can find a copy of The Words of Founding?"

"I guess. But still, there's different contexts for a lot of things and that changes quite a bit."

Well... I would start with a map and I would label the continents. Then I would start from Africa and the migrations before moving on to the Fertile Cresent and the beginnings of civilization. Regarding religion... I would obviously explain the really, really important bits like the Buddha and Jesus and Mohammed, but I would also probably miss a lot of stuff, not out of malice or anything but because I'm scatterbrained and there's a LOT to explain.

19 hours ago, Condensation said:

Faith, wandering through the library, ran into Lilliana - not literally. Faith set down her giant armload of books and tapped Lilliana on the shoulder.

@Random Bystander

Lilliana blinked. She then looked at Faith, confused. "Huh? What? How long have I been reading?" She asked.

Just noticed that I answered AmazingGoob after I said I went to the librarian... Let's assume I did it before. And right now, Hoblim is busy reading the Words of Founding, in addition to reading sometimes parts of a book by Khriss. He also has a library card.

19 hours ago, Condensation said:

"I don't know. Certainly not long enough." Faith smiled widely. "Come on, don't you want a library card?"

She considered her options for a few moments. She then frowned. "With how crazy life is right now, I'd probably lose it within the day. I'll get one once I adjust to the fact that I am on an island on a different planet." She snorted, and then began to snicker slightly. "That sounds super ridiculous when I say it out loud." She shook her head, grinning. "I can't believe how quickly everything escalated."

12 hours ago, Random Bystander said:

She considered her options for a few moments. She then frowned. "With how crazy life is right now, I'd probably lose it within the day. I'll get one once I adjust to the fact that I am on an island on a different planet." She snorted, and then began to snicker slightly. "That sounds super ridiculous when I say it out loud." She shook her head, grinning. "I can't believe how quickly everything escalated."

"Hmm. Okay! You can read my books when you get bored, as long as I've finished them first."

On 6/10/2021 at 10:47 PM, Condensation said:

"Hmm. Okay! You can read my books when you get bored, as long as I've finished them first."

"Okay!"

She then continued reading. 

I'm not going to be able to get on until next week.

I'm going camping. :)

Anything you say to her, she'll "accidentally" block out.

• 2 months later...

So, here's the thing: this RP is great. I like the idea. But, well... It's been practically dead for two months, and not without reason. All of our characters are reading in the library, and it's a great time to figure out the most important thing in an RP: plot.

There are some RPs that start with a random group of people on an island, and they succeed. You'll have to ask Fadran how, because I have never been to tFotT and I have no idea how it got on from there, but I suspect that they somehow found a quest to start and went on from that. So we need to somehow advance the plot - or to let this RP die, if you prefer. 

Right now, we're all at the Ghostblood's custody in New Luthadel. That's a nice starting point. We have a weird earth-originated organisation with unknown goals. That's good, but I think we should work on it a bit more. We have an interesting new magic system - credit goes to Random Bystander, creator of the RP.

We probably should do that on the PM. I'll try to tag everyone (at least the ones who seem to be active) - if you have any ideas you may post them either here or on the PM.

Yours, loyally,

Trutharchivist, the Self Proclaimed Unofficial Continuity Editor (SPUCE for short, synonym to control freak).

@Random Bystander, @Kingsdaughter613, @AmazingGoob, @Tani, @Condensation, @Channelknight Fadran.

Edited by Trutharchivist