The Expanse of the Broken Sky

mathiau

7 minutes ago, mathiau said:

I mean in Roshar/Scadrial's Shadesmare there's no daylight cycle

oh I'm just an idiot, ignore me lol.

But yeah, in the Cognitive there is no day-night cycle, it is eternally daytime, though there is likely a cycle similar to it that the spren and other cognitive entities would notice and operate by. I do feel that, due to the jumbled nature of the subastrals of Shardworlds, Taldain's subastral wouldn't end up with a perfect 50/50 split between the Dayside and Darkside skies, and in the inbetween stages you may see the sky in a "broken" pattern.

Side theory: The only reason it appears permanently daytime in the Cognitive on most Shardworlds is because of human perception of day as the 'normal' state of the world, whereas Taldain in its unique situation as a tidally locked planet would have a different view of that based off of where you live on the planet, that would affect the subastral there, and people may view it as a 'broken sky' simply because it isn't permanently day on the whole subastral. All of this is theory, but I do feel that the reason behind the permanent day is likely correct.

Edited by Realmatic Shadow

9 minutes ago, Realmatic Shadow said:

oh I'm just an idiot, ignore me lol.

But yeah, in the Cognitive there is no day-night cycle, it is eternally daytime, though there is likely a cycle similar to it that the spren and other cognitive entities would notice and operate by. I do feel that, due to the jumbled nature of the subastrals of Shardworlds, Taldain's subastral wouldn't end up with a perfect 50/50 split between the Dayside and Darkside skies, and in the inbetween stages you may see the sky in a "broken" pattern.

Side theory: The only reason it appears permanently daytime in the Cognitive on most Shardworlds is because of human perception of day as the 'normal' state of the world, whereas Taldain in its unique situation as a tidally locked planet would have a different view of that based off of where you live on the planet, that would affect the subastral there, and people may view it as a 'broken sky' simply because it isn't permanently day on the whole subastral. All of this is theory, but I do feel that the reason behind the permanent day is likely correct.

It's alright, it was a valid interpretation of my post.

From the depictions of Shadesmare it seems it's constantly night and not day, but you're point still stands

Official art:

Spoiler

677px-RoW_US_cover_art.jpg

Edited by mathiau
fixed

18 hours ago, mathiau said:

From the depictions of Shadesmare it seems it's constantly night and not day, but you're point still stands

Official art:

Reveal hidden contents

That actually seems counter intuitive because people are generally awake through the day so if shadesmar were being affected by human perception it should be brighter. 

So would Taldains lack of day/night cycles be represented in shadesmar? 

19 hours ago, mathiau said:

Official art:

Hide contents

It's really neither day nor night. The sun is always visible, but it gives off no light and shadows reach toward it. At least on Roshar.

9 minutes ago, Leuthie said:

It's really neither day nor night. The sun is always visible, but it gives off no light and shadows reach toward it. At least on Roshar.

I think it was the same on Scadrial

3 hours ago, KSub said:

That actually seems counter intuitive because people are generally awake through the day so if shadesmar were being affected by human perception it should be brighter. 

So would Taldains lack of day/night cycles be represented in shadesmar? 

Probably not