I am here, finally!

beheraswaroop

My fellow world hoppers (and radiants, voidbringers, and everyone else)

My name is Swaroop and I have been reading BrandoSando since 2017.

Why am I here?

Over the years, I have grown to love both the author and the stories he writes. I have unsuccessfully tried to rope in my friends into this amazing world but turns out none of them are really into reading books. We make up for that by talking about games, movies, and shows but it leaves a huge hole in me because I haven't found anyone in my circle who cares about BrandoSando. It took me almost four years to get to 17th Shard. Or more specifically, to join the community. I have definitely used the maps, been to a few forums and Coppermine wiki before, but never really thought of being a part of all of this. But now I have gotten to a point where I can't stop myself from talking about all these mind-boggling things that happen in this universe to my friends and they look at me like I am nuts. Therefore, I am in dire need of someplace to share. I hope that I have arrived at the right place and there are others here that share some of my feelings.

Favorite book?

I noticed that one of the recurring questions on the introduction page is regarding favorite books. I'd say my favorite book is whatever I read last because I constantly think about it until starting a new one. I know that's not the answer anyone expects but in all honesty, I need to re-read each book to arrive at a favorite. Although I can tell from one read if I don't like something (cough, Dune).

• Out of the books of Brandon that I have read twice (Mistborn Era 1, Arcanum, Oathbringer), I'd say, my favorite is The Final Empire for two reasons. One because it captured my imagination and introduced me to not only BrandoSando but also to a world where magic had rules. It was like a breath of fresh air. I later found that there have other works with rules for magic before, but this was my introduction to it and therefore, will always have a special place in my heart:wub:. Another reason is that I was awed again when I read it the second time and very few books have had that effect on me, twice in a row.
  • Out of the books that I have read once (the rest of cosmere), my favorite would be The Way of Kings. Again it's the awe factor to find the amount of work put into the world-building and
    Spoiler
    Spoiler

how everything on the planet of Roshar evolved with respect to the high storms. Plus, learning that both Mistborn and Stormlight Archive happened in the same universe! Like what in the !@#$%!

Why I love BrandoSando?

Two reasons, cosmere and his attitude.

Cosmere: Finding out that there is an entire universe out there and that one man thought of it all was simply mind-blowing. My respect for BrandoSando has only grown from there.

Attitude: Growing up, I never thought that meeting an author is possible. I'd read a book and if loved it, I'd read it again. That's all. I never imagined that I'd have the chance to meet 'an author'. It changed when I was in college. I met an author, who had just published a book and was doing a book-signing. I didn't know who she was then and neither had I read her book. But it was a book that I thought would be interesting to read, so I bought it. She asked my name and wrote it on the book and it made me feel special. I learned that meeting authors was possible that day.

But meeting my favorite authors was still out of my reach. I lived in India then, and my favorite authors were either English or American. But I am here in the US now and new possibilities have opened up. I have met two more authors and spoken to them why I loved their books. And now I can't wait to meet BrandoSando. 

Finding more about BrandoSando has been a journey. I had never known that authors interact so much with their fans. I used to think that they'd write a book and move on. But Brandon wasn't like that. Whenever I wanted to learn more about something, I'd find him on Reddit answering questions. I found a huge fanbase for his work, all of whom spend hours talking about it. To top it all of, he sets clear targets and strives to meet them in time meeting everyone's expectations. I don't know of anyone else that does that. Maybe they do, but I haven't come across them. 

Cosmere Reading History?

I started with the Mistborn Era 1 books in 2017 and was hooked. Then I started the Stormlight Archive around the time Oathbringer was released. That Winter Break, my gf and I flew to Florida for vacations and I spent way too much time reading the books, lol. She wasn't very happy about it! I did try to get her into it but she prefers romance (she loved the story of Warbreaker, but that's it). All in all, it was a great experience, sitting out in the Florida sun and pouring over the amazing world of Roshar. Pretty soon after that, I had devoured all the remaining Cosmere books except Mistborn Era 2. Then it was a long break until last year, right before RoW was to be released. I read the Oathbringer again, followed by Dawnshard and RoW. Tucked in another reread of the Arcanum Unbounded and also the Rithmatist (I wish this was cosmere too). Currently, I am on my first reread of the Mistborn Era 1(somewhere in Book 3 rn), in order to start the Era 2 books. Here is a link to my goodreads profile if you are interested. 

Closing Remarks:

I am grateful to be a part of something greater than me. To find that other share the same (if not more) enthusiasm for Brandon's work as I do. I am sorry that this has been a long rant, but if you have come so far, then do write back. I look forward to hearing from everyone.

And a heartfelt thanks to the creators of 17th shard for giving me a platform to share. It means a lot to me.

-Swaroop

23 minutes ago, Not an Ookla said:

Welcome to the Shard! Great essay intro! Who's your least favorite character?

Haha, I get carried away sometimes.

Least favorite character-

Hmm, since most characters have a lot of hidden layers that we haven't yet come across yet in SA, I'll pick from the ones that we know more about. 

My least favorite character would be Straff Venture. 

I'd write another essay on why I hate him if not for the spoilers. But let's just say I don't like how he treats people and especially his own children. 

Hello and welcome to the Shard @beheraswaroop!

I can understand a little bit of what you went through with no one to talk about, it used to be my brother and myself talking about Sanderson stuff, and now he's not going to be open to talk about that stuff for another three years, so I feel like I know a little bit about where you're coming from. It's kinda difficult to not talk to someone about this amazing universe that Sanderson has created if you ask me.

Quick question because you've piqued my interest (and already have answered the vast majority of my Sanderson based questions), is there a story behind your Username?

28 minutes ago, The Ward's Guard said:

Hello and welcome to the Shard @beheraswaroop!

I can understand a little bit of what you went through with no one to talk about, it used to be my brother and myself talking about Sanderson stuff, and now he's not going to be open to talk about that stuff for another three years, so I feel like I know a little bit about where you're coming from. It's kinda difficult to not talk to someone about this amazing universe that Sanderson has created if you ask me.

Quick question because you've piqued my interest (and already have answered the vast majority of my Sanderson based questions), is there a story behind your Username?

Hi @The Ward's Guard,

Thank you for the warm welcome.

The username is just my name :lol:. I could tell you what it means however. 'Swaroop' means the true form of something. It's kinda the opposite of an avatar. I guess, on Roshar, people would call it the spren of things. 

17 hours ago, Honorless said:

Oh wow! Welcome to the Shard, hope to see you around on the forums!

Have you taken the official Knights Radiant quiz? Which Order did you get?

Thank you !

I hadn't taken the quiz earlier, but I did after your suggestion. Turns out I am an Edgedancer! I would have thought I was a Truthwatcher, lol.