Soul Stamping & Hemalurgy?

Okay, so I rarely ever post anything like this, but today I remembered something I'd thought of years ago. Do you guys think that Soul Stamping could restore an Inquisitor to their pre-spiked state? 

I know very, very little about the magic systems compared to the people who usually post stuff like this, so I really don't have any opinions, but I'm curious what you guys think. 

I think that would take a lot of power because, while the amount of Investiture in each spike isn't much individually, you throw them all together and that's a lot to change all at once, especially since you have to find a way to make an excuse for the donated power's original owner to have lived, or for the Inquisitor in front of you to have not gotten that spike. Totals up fast.

Yes, I think it could!  It's something that would need to be maintained (ie Restamped every week or so) but it could repair the damage to their Spiritweb.  Gold Healing or Stormlight might be a better alterative since they are permanent effects, but the Stamp should be able return them to their Un-Spiked state.  I could see it as possible to even /Change/ the nature of the Spikes they have, though then you get into the whole Affecting Investiture with more Investiture.  

6 minutes ago, Invocation said:

I think that would take a lot of power because, while the amount of Investiture in each spike isn't much individually, you throw them all together and that's a lot to change all at once, especially since you have to find a way to make an excuse for the donated power's original owner to have lived, or for the Inquisitor in front of you to have not gotten that spike. Totals up fast.

I dont think that will be an issue. The nature of making a Stamp is too slow to use on anything but a willing (or incapacitated) target, so you might as well just yank the spikes first (which can be done without danger even from the eyes). Then at most you have to overcome the Lynchpin spike, or stamp them fast enough to put in down before their spiritweb unravels. And WOB says that Spikes have a relatively minor amount of Investiture in them compared to many other things (mid-range).  As far as the Alternative Timeline, for the most part you'd just have to tip events away from the moment they were kidnapped (or inducted) into the secret society which shouldnt be hard given the paranoid nature of the Final Empire.  

Questioner

I've got a list of various Cosmere bits of metal and I was wondering if you would rank them from like one to ten or just easy to difficult on how hard it would be to steelpush on them. So with one being just a regular coin, ten being like when the Lord Ruler was moving bits of glass on the floor, so like metal inside a person's body.

[[[snip]]

Questioner

How about a spike charged with Hemalurgy?

Brandon Sanderson

A spike charged with Hemalurgy... that depends on...

Questioner

Not in a person.

Brandon Sanderson

Depends on how strong, yeah, a spike is moderately, (in the realm of these kinds of things) moderately easy to push on because a spike does not rip off very much Investiture. Only enough to short circuit the soul, and less it over time. I would put that at the bottom, with the top being very hard, to be one of the easier things.

Questioner

How about a metalmind that is full?

Brandon Sanderson

That is full? That is going to be middle of the realm of the, yeah. Generally easier than, for instance, a Shardblade which is going to be very hard.

[[[snip]]

Questioner

A soulstamped piece of metal?

Brandon Sanderson

A soulstamped piece of metal is going to be on the lower, easier side. Not a lot of Investiture going on in a soulstamp.

Salt Lake City signing (March 29, 2014)

the_archduke (paraphrased)

If the Lord Ruler captured Shai and gave her 100 days to craft a soulstamp that could turn an iron Hemalurgic spike into a steel Hemalurgic spike, could she do it?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes, but she would need a boost of power to do it. Affecting an Invested object is hard.

the_archduke [Alternate wording from stormfather's report] (paraphrased)

Can Shai change Hemalurgic spikes?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes, but it costs a lot of power and she wouldn't be able to do it alone.

Firefight Phoenix signing (Jan. 21, 2015)

Edited by Quantus