Why do you think Nale does not use his Shardplate?

Eftboren

Hello! I'll explain my question in more detail.

We know for a fact that bonding with a spren has granted Nale a Shardblade on top of his Honorblade. Moreover, as a Skybreaker who has reached the Fifth Ideal, it is fair to assume that he ir more than capable of summoning his own "Living Shardplate".

It goes without saying that Nale would not simply wear his Shardplate all the time. However, even when he engaged in direct combat with Dalinar, Szeth (armed with Nightblood), several Radiants and one Shardplate bearer, he decided not to use his Shardplate.

Why do you think is that? Has Brandon every said something related to the topic that I may have missed? If not, does anyone has some interesting ideas?

i think that nale just wasn't in the mood, and, if he saw (or sensed, i mean, he caught a shot from a shardbow at point blank while in combat) he could summon it, because as noted by rlain, a radiants shardplate is always around them, just not always visible. so he could summon it at any time without any hindrance. also, i'm not entirely sure that skybreakers get a blade, unless i missed something. the only skybreaker we've seen with one was nale, and, correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe it was mentioned that he reclaimed his honorblade, and other than that, we've only seen Szeth, who has nightblood, so his spren may not want to be summoned, but unlike other radiant spren, it seems that his normally remains away, and just checks up on him, but again, it could just be due to nightblood

52 minutes ago, Shob the Voidbringer said:

i think that nale just wasn't in the mood, and, if he saw (or sensed, i mean, he caught a shot from a shardbow at point blank while in combat) he could summon it, because as noted by rlain, a radiants shardplate is always around them, just not always visible. so he could summon it at any time without any hindrance. also, i'm not entirely sure that skybreakers get a blade, unless i missed something. the only skybreaker we've seen with one was nale, and, correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe it was mentioned that he reclaimed his honorblade, and other than that, we've only seen Szeth, who has nightblood, so his spren may not want to be summoned, but unlike other radiant spren, it seems that his normally remains away, and just checks up on him, but again, it could just be due to nightblood

Nale summons a Shardblade to, we see him use both.

I think it's just that he doesn't need it. Ishar took on a group of Windrunners without breaking a sweat, and Nale was one of the more martial heralds, so he's probably an even better fighter than Ishar. I mean look at the fight with Szeth/Nightblood, he didn't even need his blade to take down Szeth.

Another thing to consider is it might be more difficult to control your strength in Shardplate. It might be easier to maneuver an opponent to take them down barehanded without plate.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the rules of engagement that seem to be in place between the Heavenly Ones and the Windrunners.  They seem to avoid anything that gives an unfair advantage in their fights i.e: only fighting one on one, not targeting the wounded or noncombatants, etc.  Since none of the Windrunners have Plate at the battle, and Nale is bound by oath to follow the rules of the Fused, maybe he feels bound not to use Shardplate until it is used against him.

It's a stretch, I know, and Skybreakers are not Windrunners, but I think that might be part of why he didn't summon it.

Edited by Malim

8 hours ago, LuckyJim said:

I think it's just that he doesn't need it. Ishar took on a group of Windrunners without breaking a sweat, and Nale was one of the more martial heralds, so he's probably an even better fighter than Ishar. I mean look at the fight with Szeth/Nightblood, he didn't even need his blade to take down Szeth.

Another thing to consider is it might be more difficult to control your strength in Shardplate. It might be easier to maneuver an opponent to take them down barehanded without plate.

Your theory actually makes a lot of sense. Maybe Nale simple knew that that combat would not be a challenge for him, and he did not deem necessary to summon his Shardplate. 

Besides, if things went south during the fight...

10 hours ago, Shob the Voidbringer said:

i think that nale just wasn't in the mood, and, if he saw (or sensed, i mean, he caught a shot from a shardbow at point blank while in combat) he could summon it, because as noted by rlain, a radiants shardplate is always around them, just not always visible. so he could summon it at any time without any hindrance. 

He could simply summon it for extra help.

However, I find Malim's comment quite interesting.

4 hours ago, Malim said:

I wonder if it has anything to do with the rules of engagement that seem to be in place between the Heavenly Ones and the Windrunners.  They seem to avoid anything that gives an unfair advantage in their fights i.e: only fighting one on one, not targeting the wounded or noncombatants, etc.  Since none of the Windrunners have Plate at the battle, and Nale is bound by oath to follow the rules of the Fused, maybe he feels bound not to use Shardplate until it is used against him.

I think this theory actually makes plenty of sense. Yes, it is true that the combat against Dalinar and his guard was far from a challenge for him, but Nale was not giving his all. If he had summoned both his swords and his Shardplate, I am sure the clash would have been quite different. Nale was controlling himself, fighting defensively and ineficiently on purpose. It is clear that he did not want to annihilate them all, but I wonder why. Maybe your theory about following the rules of engagement of the Heavenly Ones is actually quite accurate.

9 hours ago, LuckyJim said:

I think it's mostly this. The Heralds didn't have plate when they fought all those desolations. They are used to fighting without it. Before RoW we mostly see him going through cities executing surgebinders. He wouldn't want to use plate then because he'd stand out too much. But there is no need to be incognito in an actual battle. He prefers not to use it. 

Basically I think it is because he does not need it.  He can already kick the butt of anyone else on the planet while barehanded.  Heralds already seem to have enhanced strength anyway.  Besides his fighting style was developed over thousands of years and those kind of habits are hard to break.  Nale probably just views his plate as extra bulk he would have to compensate for.  I also don't think he worries that much about dying.  He has probably been fighting so long that he feels at least a little invisible so the extra defense plate offers seems a lot less attractive to him.

Edited by Karger