The Unknown Order

Emperor's Soul, Good or Amazing?

13 posts in this topic

What did you think of Emperor's Soul? Does anyone dislike it? Why? If you liked/loved it, any particular reason?

2 hours ago, The Unknown Order said:

What did you think of Emperor's Soul? Does anyone dislike it? Why? If you liked/loved it, any particular reason?

I liked it, despite its short length. the magic system was interesting, the characters made creative and logical decisions based on their motives, the plot was simple but had interesting moments. it's certainly a strong piece of work.

I really enjoyed the unique nature of the soul stamps and intrigue 

It was great I thought. I might be hesitant to say "amazing" as I would reserve that for other things, but it was great IMO

I thought it was great and was a different format than other books 

but 

spoilers

Spoiler

In the beginning shai stresses that creating a stamp in 100 days in nigh impossible 

and then out of seemingly nowhere ( and a time skip) she accomplishes her task in outstanding fashion 

I guess I just felt lied to about the timeline

I enjoyed it overall. I'm interested in learning more about Soul Stamping in future books, so I would say that's a positive. However, it did skip a lot, and the short length made it feel...hurried at times. I would definitely read more though.

I like it a lot! As for criticisms of Emperor's Soul, I think this guy has some good points:

Emperor's Soul has the most interesting Cosmere magic system so far, in my opinion. I would definitely go with amazing. I may be all alone, but I'm sticking to it!

I think it's Brandon's best work that's not Stormlight or Mistborn Era 1. The way it tackles its themes (like the nature of art) is very thought-provoking, and it also makes them matter - because these themes (and the disagreements about them) mean a lot to the characters and their relationships (Gaotona and Shai, in particular). Shai is also one of Brandon's most nuanced characters. She feels very human to me.

It's also just a well-rounded story and shows that great fantasy with outstanding world-building and interesting magic doesn't have to be huge and epic - you can accomplish all of that with just one room, if you're really good at it. Also, while I adore Brandon's twists, I really enjoyed reading a story of his that's suspenseful while not relying on reveals as much as most of his other work. It was kind of refreshing.

I think it's amazing. Gaotona's part of the epilogue always gets me.

I like it, its really good, even though I'm a fast reader and it was really short I'd say it was amazing

For me, it was whatever you'd call better than amazing. The ideas about art and forgery; the trustworthiness of diaries and history books; and the formation of a personality were all fascinating to me. 

For me the length was just right, too.

And with that final line, a shiver shot right down my spine.

ES was fine.

Nothing extrodinary about it though.

I have a lot of love for Emperor's Soul, in large part because it was how I got my wife and two of my three sisters invested in Brandon Sanderson. Its short length and standalone nature makes it less intimidating than Brandon's other works, its prose is a bit stronger than most of his work, and the magic system showcases one of his major strengths as an author.

Then once you've got them in for a penny...! *evil laughter*